HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:28 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
674 Posts
1500 BW 3S Mini POP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
I modified my mini-Pop similar to Johnnymeg's, it flies great with a 1,000mah 3S. Really fast, slows down fairly well. Flies much better with the 5x4.3 prop than any other prop, that's using the 3,000kv HK version of the Blue Wonder. Definitely a fun little plane. Best flying wing I've ever had.
What size ESC do you recommend for this setup? And what gr. servos did you use?
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
What size ESC do you recommend for this setup? And what gr. servos did you use?
Thanks,
Joe
The setup called for either the 15-18A or 18-20A. I went with the 25-30A for more motor compatibility and lower price.

Most owners post 5 gram servos work fine. All of the owners who switched from 5 to 8 or 9 gram servos and posted, posted they are happy with the switch. I'm starting with 9 gram servos, HXT900.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Last edited by ichiban; Oct 09, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
Orville
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
900mm PopWing!

Got the kit last week from NitroPlanes (the one with all parts except receiver included), finished assembly last night and flew this morning. This flying wing is lots of fun and quite different than more conventional planes I've flown!

Couple of build points:

1-The instructions say auw of 300 to 350g, but all the parts alone (including my 4g Spektrum compatible receiver) weighed 297g without battery so you'd need an awfully light battery!
2-Assembled weight was 306g.
3-To get the CG to the recommened 210mm required a 1,550 mAH 3S lipo (140g), otherwise I'd just have to add lead! This gives about 16m FT for 70% discharge. This required enlarging the battery compartment.
4-The included propsaver O ring is too light weight -- the prop flew off in the first minute! A 13/16X5/8X13/32 O ring keeps it on much better!
5-I mounted the servos and connectors on top of the wing instead of the recommended bottom mount -- keeps them out of the grass! And, I used carbon fiber rods instead of the included steel, for greater stiffness.
6-If I were starting over I'd cut my own servo holes in the wing, closer to the flapperons, to help shift the CG forward.
7-I found the longest throws possible for servos and transmitter worked best -- this helps keep control of the plane in windy conditions a little better, and probably almost certainly requires some expo.
8-Launching requires more than half throttle or the plane will just dive into the ground!
9-The battery holder is not very well attached to the wing using just CA to hold it on -- It was exciting when the battery came off in flight taking the esc with it! I used the included plastic straps, intended to hold the receiver and esc, to instead hold the battery holder on the plane. I added a carbon fiber rod above the battery compartment as well, on top of the wing, under the plastic straps. This seems to work!
10-Finally, others have said the 900mm PW flys well in wind, but I found that in even a moderate 10mph breeze it gets knocked around a lot -- you can still fly it but not always in the direction you intended!
Orville2 is offline Find More Posts by Orville2
Last edited by Orville2; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:47 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Orville, you should get yourself a mini also!
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:51 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Orville, you should get yourself a mini also!
Definitely! They're just as fun, and it's only right to have "the complete set".
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,241 Posts
Changed the motor back to the higher powered version on my mini now that I can fly it well. Shot a bit of video this morning. I should be able to keep up with the bigger Popwings next time we combat.
High Powered Mini Popwing (2 min 57 sec)
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,241 Posts
This was a funny thing that happend also this morning, had a look around, all clear so I launched, then out of nowhere a bazillion birds are all over the sky. I cut the power way back and did my best to avoid them. Didn't have any close calls but it worried me for a moment.
Swarmed By Birds (1 min 3 sec)
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
Hey Guys
Finished my second Popwing 1200
The first post 623 is the speedy one
On this one I wanted a slower one...longer flight times....faster then stock
I'll post a video this week with in my opinion is a great all around set up
Made a couple of changes to fix wing snap issues I had on first one---wing snap as in snap in two
Flying weight is 23.0 oz The video will detail upgrades
Chip

1200 Popwing (10 min 26 sec)
chippedprop is offline Find More Posts by chippedprop
Last edited by chippedprop; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Another one of my popwing fun flight video

Malaysian RC - Puncak Jalil Popwing (5 min 13 sec)
neato4u is online now Find More Posts by neato4u
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
554 Posts
Nice video, very sharp and clear. Looks like you are flying on a mountain top or hill that has been cleared for future building.
Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,544 Posts
This is how you're SUPPOSED to fly a PopWing

LOS:
PopWing Baseball Field Insanity (2 min 20 sec)

FPV:
PopWing FPV Compilation I :: First Exposure (4 min 10 sec)

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
flight investigator in service
Lakewood,Ohio
Joined Jan 2009
114 Posts
PopWing motor mount issue

Hey flyers today I was doing some flights in the night with my popwing and I was going to do my last flight when I noticed the motor was dangling from the plane with the flat piece of the motor mount still attached to the moto and noticed it fitted in like a jigsaw puzzle with the support part of the mount.

Should I glue that flat part with the motor attached to it back to the rest of the mount or just fit it right in?

Dave
microkid is offline Find More Posts by microkid
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:02 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,917 Posts
I know this is a Pop Wing thread but would you mind if I post a video of my crazy fast Assassin wing?

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microkid View Post
Hey flyers today I was doing some flights in the night with my popwing and I was going to do my last flight when I noticed the motor was dangling from the plane with the flat piece of the motor mount still attached to the moto and noticed it fitted in like a jigsaw puzzle with the support part of the mount.

Should I glue that flat part with the motor attached to it back to the rest of the mount or just fit it right in?

Dave
I fit mine back in when this happened and then I drilled small holes in all of the corners I could get to and zip tied them together with the smallest zip ties in my tool box. I then soaked ALL of the joints in CA and let it dry and then I put fillets of hot melt glue in all of the corners and everywhere the mount joined the foam too. I know this is a little overkill but my POP is way overpowered vs. stock and I have never had another problem in over 250 flights.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wslco10 View Post
Nice video, very sharp and clear. Looks like you are flying on a mountain top or hill that has been cleared for future building.
Bob
Thanks, yes it was cleared off since last year but nobody stops us from flying here as of yet. It is a very popular site for newbies because of it's large airfield. but for me, it's starting to be a bit too dusty to appreciate

Anyway, still fun to flies there with the rest of the usual friendly flyers. Although most of us has been discussing where else to fly if this site close.
neato4u is online now Find More Posts by neato4u