HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:02 PM
Poland
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Wiicopter vs aeroquad vs KK vs ardupirat how to start?

Hi
my name is Kamil i am from poland and i am new here.
Maybe someone could help me to solve my problem. I want to build my first multicopter to carry a canon 550d or a nex-5. I like the design of a hexa Y6 copter. Flying with a plane or a helicopter isnít for me problem but for begin a thought about something cheaper and easier to build. There neednít to be a gps or barometer if it is stable flying but if there would be something with this components it would be great. Maybe the Wii based platform? I have read about different shields FC and so on and also that some of the rcgroupmembers build their own platforms and sell them. Maybe one of these? Please if someone could help me I would be very thankful. Please write any hints or advises ( in German or Polish would be the best : ) but English is also ok.
DaywalkerX is offline Find More Posts by DaywalkerX
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:49 AM
Zurich Switzerland
Joined May 2010
256 Posts
Did you look into the GAUI GU344 gyro. Cheep, and is very stable.
And can very well carry a 550d with the right motors / esc.

For example like this:
Gaui - Spring In Zurich (3 min 33 sec)

Cheers!
Jago
jago_svensson is offline Find More Posts by jago_svensson
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:42 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaywalkerX View Post
Hi
my name is Kamil i am from poland and i am new here.
Maybe someone could help me to solve my problem. I want to build my first multicopter to carry a canon 550d or a nex-5. I like the design of a hexa Y6 copter. Flying with a plane or a helicopter isnít for me problem but for begin a thought about something cheaper and easier to build. There neednít to be a gps or barometer if it is stable flying but if there would be something with this components it would be great. Maybe the Wii based platform? I have read about different shields FC and so on and also that some of the rcgroupmembers build their own platforms and sell them. Maybe one of these? Please if someone could help me I would be very thankful. Please write any hints or advises ( in German or Polish would be the best : ) but English is also ok.
Hi Kamil,
though I'm capable of German I rather use English (otherwise one of the Blockwarts her will jump in and ask for a complete ban )

Jago's suggestion is ok if you don't want to play with soldering and code.
But for what it offers it's rather expensive (~200$). You could build a complete copter to start with for that price:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334190

I'd suggest you look at the MultiWii - you'll learn a lot about copters themselves...

The MultiWii is cheap and pretty easy to setup. Have a look at my build log:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332876 and also zhe main thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261382

Alexinparis also set up a dedicated site and forum on the matter:
http://www.multiwii.com

Hope that helps to give you a hang of it.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:14 PM
Poland
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Jago this is really great how stable your Gaui is could you tell me what engines and esc are in your quadro? What program do you recomend for editing movies? and how can this be that your movies from the 550d are so fluent? My movies aren't as clear and fluent like yours. Kinderkram Danke very much I try again reading maybe this time a little bit slower
DaywalkerX is offline Find More Posts by DaywalkerX
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:04 AM
Zurich Switzerland
Joined May 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaywalkerX View Post
Jago this is really great how stable your Gaui is could you tell me what engines and esc are in your quadro? What program do you recomend for editing movies? and how can this be that your movies from the 550d are so fluent? My movies aren't as clear and fluent like yours. Kinderkram Danke very much I try again reading maybe this time a little bit slower
Hi.
Thanx for the nice words.
I use AXI motors (2820/14) with APC 14 inch props. Also together with a homemade frame and a photo ship one mount. The esc are 60A esc, but 40A would be more than enough. I will change mine to 40A for some weight saving.
It hovers with camera and all equipment at about 25A on 14v. and about 35A a 12V.
Max throttle gives about 100A peaks.

For movie editing I use iMovie on the mac and final cut express, but any video editing would work I'm sure.
The movies are directly from the 550d, could you maybe show something from your 550 to see what might be the problem?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!
Jago
jago_svensson is offline Find More Posts by jago_svensson