HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:34 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,653 Posts
It was really muggy yesterday, way over my threshold, but good flying. Lots of people there. Even put the maiden flight on my Chaos 600 FBL. Had some issues but I think I figured out what is wrong. Even flew the Big Boy with the new Castle BEC Pro. When unpacking the car, I noticed a really big tear in the LE of the Big Boy wing. Gonna have to strip off the covering and see if I can figure out how to repair it.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:06 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,761 Posts
It was a good afternoon. Conditions were better for the planes than for the pilots. Luckily someone had the foresight to bring a fan.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:43 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,761 Posts
oops
Old Aug 18, 2014, 09:56 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
559 Posts
So while spending a few days in upstate NY at my parents, my dad said one of my old airplanes was in my brother- in-laws garage attic. I had apparently given it to my nephew many years ago as it was surely collecting dust in my dads basement. I could not think of what airplane he was talking about but he said it had a square fuselage. I thought he meant one of those ones with the square PVC fuse and metal u-channel sticking out of the back to mount the tail feathers on. (I had one of those and flew it......once.) So anyway, we go over to my B-I-L's and as I'm talking to my sister, my dad comes walking up with the first airplane I ever built. The Sig Kadet Jr. Holy crap was I surprised!! I thought I had sold that with my other old RC stuff about 20 years ago. Turns out this was the airplane I gave to my nephew. I never flew it and my B-I-L said my nephew never flew it either. So gents, here I present to you my first RC plane ever. I built this when I was 16 or 17 years old in my bedroom on a work bench that I still have in my man cave today. The Enya .15 still turns over, but is gummed up. The full foam wing is intact with a couple small chunks out of the trailing edge. The balsa push rods are still in perfect shape and even the hinges seem fine. The gas tank will certainly need replacing, but this baby is going to finally fly after 35 years of static display! It was taxied around in my driveway quite a bit, but the engine probably never had more than a full tank through it. The last radio gear this had in it was by Kraft as you can see by the still adhered sticker on the tail. I really wish I still had the old Kraft radio gear to totally keep it vintage, but I'll just be happy to see it fly. More to come.
afjetmech is offline Find More Posts by afjetmech
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:43 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,761 Posts
suweeeet!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:51 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,852 Posts
Ohhhh man! That's sweeter than finding a few $20's you left in the pocket of a winter coat. I'll bet you can remember every stick you put together building it.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:56 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,653 Posts
That is absolutely incredible! I bet once you clean the engine/carb with some gasoline and replace the glow plug, it will run just fine. If that Enya is ~35 years old, were companies producing ABC/ABN engines at that time or were they all still ringed? I was thinking if it was a sleeved engine it will probably be okay after it's cleaned.

Can't wait to see it fly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:43 AM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
559 Posts
I felt like a little kid at Christmas. The fact that it has never flown just makes it even sweeter. If I remember correctly I think I replaced the prop once after it cracked while trying to start it. If so, that is the only thing that is not 100% part of the original build. The glow plug tip is bent, but if I can straighten it and it still lights, I will keep it in there. Goal is to change nothing unless absolutely necessary. Fuel lines will obviously have to be changed.
afjetmech is offline Find More Posts by afjetmech
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:21 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,761 Posts
Show us your early planes

Chuck's post brought back memories. So I thought I'd bore you with these. Here's a few of mine, scanned from old polaroids and other snapshots.
The QT was built in 1979 and the rest in the early to mid 1980s. Yes, I used to actually build airplanes. None of these exist anymore, that I know of. Show us your early ones.
Last edited by davecee; Aug 19, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:30 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
were companies producing ABC/ABN engines at that time or were they all still ringed?

Can't wait to see it fly!

It's a bushed motor, no ball bearings to rust. Steel cylinder liner with iron piston. Lapped piston/cylinder liner, no ring. Good to use fuel with some castor oil.
Last edited by davecee; Aug 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: clarify
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:57 PM
Five Guys Field Rep
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Feb 2013
530 Posts
I have no early planes.
Don Quixote is offline Find More Posts by Don Quixote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 02:26 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,653 Posts
Dave, those are awesome. I have a few old planes I might have pictures of but they aren't kits... I'm not known as Arfman for nothing.
RCG Plus Member