Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Ok, so heres an off the wall question... I heard of a guy putting a siren on his plane that activates when it goes into failsafe mode. The purpose is for two reasons. 1) in RTH mode, if the altitude is extrememly high, he can find the plane by its sound and 2) if it crashes in failsafe, the siren will allow him to find it faster, whereas he may not find it at all.. My question is how would you wire this up. Ive got a siren from Radio Shack and plugged it into my receiver and it goes off no matter what position the switch is in and regardless of the % set on that channel in the radio.. any ideas?
jglover is offline Find More Posts by jglover
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
You want to get one of these to control the siren:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/picoswitch
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
You want to get one of these to control the siren:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/picoswitch
Thanks man. Just what I was looking for.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:58 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglover View Post
Thanks man. Just what I was looking for.
No. That's an awesome idea. Where did you get the siren, and what voltage?
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
No. That's an awesome idea. Where did you get the siren, and what voltage?
I got the Siren at Radio Shack. They're in the pullout drawers they have set up with all the connectors and stuff. Its operating voltage is 7-14V and its 108 Decibles. Its loud. The smaller ones arent loud at all, more like a buzzing niose, but this one will blow your ears out. Put the 1/3 Camera in there for size comparrison
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so heres an off the wall question... I heard of a guy putting a siren on his plane that activates when it goes into failsafe mode. The purpose is for two reasons. 1) in RTH mode, if the altitude is extrememly high, he can find the plane by its sound and 2) if it crashes in failsafe, the siren will allow him to find it faster, whereas he may not find it at all.. My question is how would you wire this up. Ive got a siren from Radio Shack and plugged it into my receiver and it goes off no matter what position the switch is in and regardless of the % set on that channel in the radio.. any ideas?
But whats wrong with always recording your video downlink with OSD info and if you crash, enter the last known GPS co-ords into ur phone? Then you just walk to the dot on the map. There's also no guarantee if the siren will continue to operate post crash also But interesting thought.
wingsnapa is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapa
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:31 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
503 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=13064
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa View Post
But whats wrong with always recording your video downlink with OSD info and if you crash, enter the last known GPS co-ords into ur phone? Then you just walk to the dot on the map. There's also no guarantee if the siren will continue to operate post crash also But interesting thought.
Not everyone has the hi tech OSD's. I got the Cyclopse Nova w/ RTH and it doesnt display lat/long, so i have to come up with a cheaper idea than spending another $300 on a sophisticated OSD
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555 View Post
I listened to several sirens at Radio Shack before I bought this one and the one on the HK link you posted is only 85db. The ones at Radio Shack that were 85db, I wouldnt hear over the "roar" of my 3536 1250 KV with a 10x5 Prop. Add wind and the elements... yeah, I opted for the 108db.. alot louder. I do like the size of that one though
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:56 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Not everyone has the hi tech OSD's. I got the Cyclopse Nova w/ RTH and it doesnt display lat/long, so i have to come up with a cheaper idea than spending another $300 on a sophisticated OSD
I thought they all had lat/long? Even my cheapo HK OSD that blew up had it..and since every OSD on the market must use that data, are you sure there isn't something in the menu to display lat/long?
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:50 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
Even so, loss of video at 200 feet could easily put the plane down in a 1/2 mile radius, depending on wind conditions. This would help tell you exactly where.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:22 AM
KK4BTL
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
Thanks, thats how I was thinking you described it. Im using metal center spars that are bent to give dihedral so the two spars that came with it are extra. Im putting one on each side of the center. Thanks for sharin a pic. Peace!
Dust

Quote:
Sorry about the delay, but since you asked so nicely! Here ya go. The key is to provide a flat, wide surface at either end to absorb the stresses into the foam.
Cheers,

I've now logged over 11 hours air time with my bird with my most recent flights out over flooded rivers and lakes in SE Australia.
dustydonnay is offline Find More Posts by dustydonnay
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
I thought they all had lat/long? Even my cheapo HK OSD that blew up had it..and since every OSD on the market must use that data, are you sure there isn't something in the menu to display lat/long?
Unless I missed something, Im pretty sure mine doesnt. I have the Cyclopse Nova with RTH..
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:38 AM
Australia, VIC, Metung
Joined Oct 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Even so, loss of video at 200 feet could easily put the plane down in a 1/2 mile radius, depending on wind conditions. This would help tell you exactly where.
Fair call, no system is 100% fool-proof. There is also a little unit out there that is the size of a postage stamp and you simply put a pre-paid sim card into it and place it in the plane, then if you crash, you just call the number and it gives you it's lat/long.

Too bad if you crash into the ocean, then it all fails!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Fair call, no system is 100% fool-proof. There is also a little unit out there that is the size of a postage stamp and you simply put a pre-paid sim card into it and place it in the plane, then if you crash, you just call the number and it gives you it's lat/long.

Too bad if you crash into the ocean, then it all fails!
Nice! I may have to look into that.. yeah, everyone around here seems to want to fly at the beach.. Im just like, ya know.. too many variables right now for me to fly at the beach... lol