SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:59 PM
Joined Oct 2007
706 Posts
Discussion
Takeoff and landing experience

I've been searching for that perfect airframe that will allow for realistic takeoff and landing experience. Ideally the plane would have a tricycle gear setup, pusher prop formation for clear fpv, and is stable at low airspeed. Here's the kicker, I'm looking for something small like 700mm wingspan or less. Anyone have a recommendation?
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:10 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,643 Posts
Hobby King have the Skipper at 700mm. It can take off from its belly on grass or water. Or the mini skywalker is 840mm but you would need to add landing gear. But most of us use bigger planes to take the weight of landing gear.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:41 PM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
399 Posts
I think with a 700mm wingspan, you would need a very light airframe, AUW of about 8-oz with FPV gear, and you'll need to fly indoors to get close to scale like flying via FPV. Very calm air is important for light weight airplane to have it fly true and stable.

Achieving scale like flying via FPV is easy with larger RC airplanes (More stable frames) but that would mean you'll need a larger flying field and longer landing and take-off runway, flying at higher velocities.

From my experience, I think a wingspan between 1.6 to 2.0 meter, AUW of about 34-oz, resulting in low wing loading (glider type) is a good compromise to be able to fly outdoors in a open field in calm air and experience scale like and slow flying characteristics via FPV.

Also, I think you'll need good landing gears that will absorb impact and help to keep your plane flying in the straight path during take-off and landing. I recommend using springs or something that will help cushion the rough ground.

A 3-axis stabilizer is also a must to help keep the plane balance while FPVing.

This type of FPV use has not caught on yet and I don't see a lot of options out there at the moment, so I made my own airframe to achieve the craving that I have to fly scale like or do what I call "Airport FPVing".

HD-Airport FPV scale take-off, flying, and landing-uncut (25 min 34 sec)
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Last edited by rcastab; Dec 14, 2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added video link