SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:08 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
Discussion
an oops tuned into a model

so tonight i was working on a new skill for a micro SAL rc glider, vacuum bagged foam core tails, but i had a little accident or rather hindsight; i glassed it with the fiber running /\ biased rather than +++ so it was stiff in the twisting rather than span wise. so rather than scrap the nice airfoiled tail piece, i made a small cut through the top skin and sanded a little and viola, its now a 120mm wing!
its a piece of eps foam thats been glassed with i believe 0.5oz/yd, final weight of the wing was 0.538 grams, so not that bad really. after i glassed the wing to the fuse stick (yes its never coming off) and made tails etc. it ended right at 0.9 grams all up. for an outdoor mini glider, i would say its a success, as a dlg tail, totally unusable lol
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:24 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,380 Posts
You should kit it!
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
If i were to start out with the intention of making one, i would make the wing thinner than this one. Its a bit too thick for my liking, but it still flies good.
One nice thing is that the epoxy doesnt get super hard and brittle so you can still trim the wings and it will hold its shape.
Yesterday i got it trimmed so that a throw facing the wind going from right to left would give a good climb and then a stall dropping the right wing turning into the wind and circling in a right pattern.

Really how much intrest is there in a small model like this if it were a small quick kit?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk