HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:52 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Sep 2008
70 Posts
Gggrrrrr.... Now this is doing my head in, ive always used arkbird on 3s no probs there, then switched to 4s with new current sensor upgrade aslo fine.

Got and setup TBS Cairiphina or how ever its called and using 2s 7.4v with 12v ubec 4.5a and i dont get any video output at all.

What i have is 2s plugs on to current sensor which powers esc, motor and current sensor lead goes to arkbird.
On to that current sensor ive soldered a 12v ubec to upscale 2s 7.4v to 12v which plugs to 12vin slot on arkbird with jump plug removed as per instruction.

All powers up immersionrc 600mv got red light so its powered cam slowly heats up also works as tested with voltmeter but no image like its not broadcasting the video to my fatshark googles. Tried another cam same thing.

Any idea what is going on ? Spent about 5 hours checking wiring and powering up different ways. with no luck

Any help much apperiated.

PS: both cam and vtx are more then happy to work off 2s batt so question is will arkbird function on 2s fully? It does say in manual sequence to powering on otherwive OSD will not DISPLAY is that like will not broadcast any image ??
s007 is offline Find More Posts by s007
Last edited by s007; Nov 22, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Sep 2008
70 Posts
Funny enough wen i remove the 12v ubec from 12vin slot on arkbird and put the jumber bk on video shows fine. And in happy with that as i can loose weight by removing ubec. Next question is can Arkbird operate on 2s Lipo as all other equipment is ok to work crom 5v up to 16 or 22v.
s007 is offline Find More Posts by s007
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:47 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
I flew my arkbird many flights on 2s before. No problem.
ccsj is offline Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Nov 26, 2014, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
RTH problem and flickering display

Hi I thought thought I'd share my most recent video of a flight last weekend. It is edited down to show my issues. The link is below:

FPV flight (1 min 24 sec)

This was a 30 minute flight where I was able to get out to nearly 3km for the first time with my setup. I have a skysurfer with fatshark 250mw TX and predator goggles with Horizon FPV helical antennas on the RC system and on the video system. These antennas are really good and I was pleased to get out to such a range with standard RC and video gear. I think I should be able to get out further but before doing so I need to fly more economically or maybe increase the battery capacity.
I've done about 20+ flights with this setup and I've come to completely trust the Arkbird as it has saved me many times. I know if I am lost it will bring me home.
However at the start of this flight you can see flickering with the OSD. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? It could be a bad connection somewhere but only seemed to happen at the start of the flight.
This flickering settled down so I decided to go for my maximum range test and at 28s you can see I got to about 2.9km. It was quite windy so I purposely flew upwind so I knew I'd easily get back. After returning I got carried away and didn't realise I had been blown 1km downwind so I looked at battery remaining, panicked thinking I didn't have enough juice to get back. So decided to engage RTH (40s) because I wanted to get back asap. You can see that the plane starts swinging violently from side to side and erratically controlling the throttle. I know that this can mean that the control surfaces are setup too sensitive but all previous flights have been fine so I ruled this out. Things didn't improve and I noticed I was getting blown further away again so I disengaged RTH at about 1min and flew back ok manually just getting home before the battery died.
I wonder if anyone else has seen anything like this?
brooksymike is offline Find More Posts by brooksymike
Old Nov 27, 2014, 07:13 AM
USC (The farm) Tragic
Australia, QLD, Sunshine Coast
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Hi folks, I'm trying to configure my Arkbird in a Zeta Phantom delta mixing wing and have therefore set the dip switch 4 to 0. I get normal aircraft flight controls with this setting but I have hit a snag trying to select items on the menu. I can select the main menu using Ch 5 < 50% and Ch 1 to left / right for more than 6 secs.

Once on the main menu I can only move down using my elevator, not up. Moving Rt will not make a menu selection so I can't edit any settings. I can't seem to get past this point and it is very frustrating. Can anyone explain why this might be happening?
tomma49 is offline Find More Posts by tomma49
Old Nov 27, 2014, 07:31 AM
Quarry Rat
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Aug 2007
253 Posts
Have you perhaps made any changes to the travel/end points on your radio?
AndreKotze is online now Find More Posts by AndreKotze
Old Nov 29, 2014, 05:30 AM
Russia, Murmanskaya oblast, Kovdor
Joined Jan 2014
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomma49 View Post
Hi folks, I'm trying to configure my Arkbird in a Zeta Phantom delta mixing wing and have therefore set the dip switch 4 to 0. I get normal aircraft flight controls with this setting but I have hit a snag trying to select items on the menu. I can select the main menu using Ch 5 < 50% and Ch 1 to left / right for more than 6 secs.

Once on the main menu I can only move down using my elevator, not up. Moving Rt will not make a menu selection so I can't edit any settings. I can't seem to get past this point and it is very frustrating. Can anyone explain why this might be happening?
Remove all mixes in your equipment and check the costs sticks
Ghost51 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost51
Old Nov 30, 2014, 05:21 AM
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
I was wondering if the arkbird works on a "tiny" swift with only elevator controls ..
does it event work on an easystar with rudder / ailerons or it requires a full rudder + aileron + elevator setup with an inner mixer ?

Regards
ben749 is offline Find More Posts by ben749
Old Dec 03, 2014, 01:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksymike View Post
Hi I thought thought I'd share my most recent video of a flight last weekend. It is edited down to show my issues. The link is below:

http://youtu.be/Gmh9CvYRn1o

This was a 30 minute flight where I was able to get out to nearly 3km for the first time with my setup. I have a skysurfer with fatshark 250mw TX and predator goggles with Horizon FPV helical antennas on the RC system and on the video system. These antennas are really good and I was pleased to get out to such a range with standard RC and video gear. I think I should be able to get out further but before doing so I need to fly more economically or maybe increase the battery capacity.
I've done about 20+ flights with this setup and I've come to completely trust the Arkbird as it has saved me many times. I know if I am lost it will bring me home.
However at the start of this flight you can see flickering with the OSD. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? It could be a bad connection somewhere but only seemed to happen at the start of the flight.
This flickering settled down so I decided to go for my maximum range test and at 28s you can see I got to about 2.9km. It was quite windy so I purposely flew upwind so I knew I'd easily get back. After returning I got carried away and didn't realise I had been blown 1km downwind so I looked at battery remaining, panicked thinking I didn't have enough juice to get back. So decided to engage RTH (40s) because I wanted to get back asap. You can see that the plane starts swinging violently from side to side and erratically controlling the throttle. I know that this can mean that the control surfaces are setup too sensitive but all previous flights have been fine so I ruled this out. Things didn't improve and I noticed I was getting blown further away again so I disengaged RTH at about 1min and flew back ok manually just getting home before the battery died.
I wonder if anyone else has seen anything like this?
It sounds to me like your esc triggered low voltage protection mode eventhough your OSD was still showing over 10v. Did you ever fly down your batt this low before without issue?
Old Dec 03, 2014, 11:38 PM
Joined May 2012
56 Posts
zodrik81 is offline Find More Posts by zodrik81
Old Dec 03, 2014, 11:42 PM
Joined May 2012
56 Posts
thanks worked pretty well
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Lowering the mechanical throws of the controll surfaces should solve your problem. (Move links in on the servo and out on the clevises.)
zodrik81 is offline Find More Posts by zodrik81
Old Dec 08, 2014, 02:22 PM
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Actually that's a good point - I think you are probably right. No I have never taken the battery down that low before. I hadn't intended to get that far away with so little battery left and realised pretty late that I had been blown 1km downwind. I also noticed later that the ESC? was beeping - you can just hear it in between the motor running up and down. Do you know if it normal for it to beep in RTH or is this a low battery warning?
I've had a few flights since and done some more tests on the bench - the flights have all been fine with RTH but on the bench I did get the OSD flickering only when running up the motor.
I've now repositioned the Arkbird further back for weight reasons and since then it hasn't flickered - think it could be either vibration issues or interference but difficult to know since it has now stopped.
Thanks for the advice.
brooksymike is offline Find More Posts by brooksymike
Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
The esc shouldn't beep on RTH. It must came from low batt warning. I would not use RTH next time when you ran your batt that low. With RTH, the AB will try to get your plane to home heading at preset altitude. If it needs to climb, it will do so at high throttle and run down your batt even more. Use altitude to your advantage and slowly decent while heading home to conserve your batt. Keep clam and fly it back yourself next time.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2014
66 Posts
hi all
i have problem with cable between gps and board
where i find the cable ?
mbtsm is offline Find More Posts by mbtsm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:17 AM
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Hi, I've read somewhere for the v-Wing settings to plug ch2 at left servo and ch4 at right servo ( assumin servo ele & rud ) reading at the manual.

Then I've read on the manual, that It shall be ch1 for right & ch2 for left servo
( this time assuiming AIL/RUD stands for left, ELE for right servo, as RX AIL for left, ELE for right, disabling any mixing function from my transmitter )

I'm little confused then, is the option 2nd the right one for my swift ?

( I mainly use 3 channels : thr, ele, rud ) and used ail & gear as failsafe for autopilot setting

Any idea, enlightment ? Thanks in advance
ben749 is offline Find More Posts by ben749
Last edited by ben749; Dec 14, 2014 at 09:54 AM.