Closed Thread
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:07 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Question
1986 Kyosho Ultima Gears?

Does anyone know where I can get a complete replacement gear set for the old school 1986 Kyosho Ultima?

I got one at a yard sale for practically nothing but the original gears in it are really played and slipping pretty badly. I'm also going to convert it to a brushless 540 and 45A ESC setup. I have some 3000mAh 30C (11.1V) lipo packs I can use for it.

I know the pinion gear is a 15T and the bigger (spur?) gear that meshes with that one is a 41T. Those are the two that I need to replace, but I have no idea where to get them.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks guys!!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hit N Run; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Also, since i'm upgrading from stock to brushless, do I need to get different size gears so I don't burn anything up?

Example: 15T pinion on stock brushed RS-540, so maybe a 13T pinion with the brushless 540? I'm not looking for anything insane in performance. This will only be used to bash around my yard, and up and down the street during the winter months when there is a little snow on the ground.

I know how quick knobby tires can become slicks on the dry pavement.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hit N Run; Jul 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
I'm not asking for miracles, but if I can get it to perform as good as this guys Kyosho Ultima then i'll be more than happy!

kyosho ultima db brushless (2 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but these are the gears in question. The gear on the left and the middle gear are the ones that are all chewed up.

I think I found a replacement for the pinion gear at amainhobbies.com, but i'm not having any luck at all finding the spur gear with the right "41T" count. Maybe i'm just doing something wrong....?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Or maybe if I get a larger spur gear, I can get a smaller/larger pinion gear to get the same end result in performance?

I'm new to working with gear ratios so i'll take any advice I can get.
Thanks everyone!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
3300kv and 3s will make short work of gears again, and since they're near impossible to find you might want to go with something milder.

The car in that video is a MUCH newer version, and probably doesn't share any parts at all with yours. You can get clone of it with a brushless motor/esc for a VERY reasonable price:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Buggy_ARR.html

IMO, you're far better off starting with something more modern that has parts available.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
3300kv and 3s will make short work of gears again, and since they're near impossible to find you might want to go with something milder.

The car in that video is a MUCH newer version, and probably doesn't share any parts at all with yours. You can get clone of it with a brushless motor/esc for a VERY reasonable price:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Buggy_ARR.html

IMO, you're far better off starting with something more modern that has parts available.
Sigh... I was afraid of that. But hey, for $125 I can't really complain. Plus they have a bunch of nice upgrade parts for it as well.

Damn, my wife is not going to be happy when I buy two of these and a bunch of the upgraded parts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Although, she "did" say she would drive one of these with me if I ever got one. Now I can hold her to it.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread