HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,227 Posts
Discussion
Anyone else see this?

Seems like the price might be right to score a small compressor for air brushes, target practice, scaring the cat, or whatever. At Lowe's on sale for Father's Day.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:21 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Hopefully better than the $70 one I got from HF, which died after 1 year...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Hopefully better than the $70 one I got from HF, which died after 1 year...
We have had a 5hp Campbell Hausfeld compressor for 30+ years. As a matter of fact we are discussing getting a new tank for it. It was made before drop dead dates were required on air tanks. This one would definitely exceed the recommended service life. The only thing we have had to repair was a broken drive belt last year. I'd buy another CH compressor.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2011
141 Posts
CH compressors

I have had a small CH compressor for years and have not had a bit of trouble with it. It has lain quiet for months on end and then a project comes along and it is used for days on end. They are great little units. I would buy the unit that is on sale in a heart beat if the one I have was giving me a problem, but it's not. I don't think you can beat them for the money. I beat the "snot" out of mine and it keeps on pumping.

DDWILLIE
DDWILLIE is offline Find More Posts by DDWILLIE
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,285 Posts
My small CH compressor has given me no trouble either. Well made unit.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,114 Posts
I have a twenty gallon Craftsman, had it for about 20 years, works just fine but noisy.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,227 Posts
X2 here. I've abused it and it continues to stand up. For airbrushing though I found a really nice medical compressor that is small, clean, and quiet. But I'm still Jonesing over the $59 price tag on the CH.
Last edited by pops52; Jun 15, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDWILLIE View Post
I have had a small CH compressor for years and have not had a bit of trouble with it. It has lain quiet for months on end and then a project comes along and it is used for days on end. They are great little units. I would buy the unit that is on sale in a heart beat if the one I have was giving me a problem, but it's not. I don't think you can beat them for the money. I beat the "snot" out of mine and it keeps on pumping.
DDWILLIE
Me too. I've had my CH compressor for a long time, and it has given me good service with no grief---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Me too. I've had my CH compressor for a long time, and it has given me good service with no grief---.
I think the secret to these units is the compressor is a SEALED unit so guys like me who love to tinker, like changing oil and adjusting things, cannot get at it and screw things up. LOL! The only thing is, when they go, if they ever do go, they are toast.

Bill
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDWILLIE View Post
I think the secret to these units is the compressor is a SEALED unit so guys like me who love to tinker, like changing oil and adjusting things, cannot get at it and screw things up. LOL! The only thing is, when they go, if they ever do go, they are toast.
Yeah, but for the price---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
Yeah, but for the price---.
Your right. For the price you can't beat them. For that price even if you don't us them much, you can afford to let them set around and collect dust and be available when you need it.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
I bought one 9 monhs ago strictly for airbrush use. It works great, no complaints at all. I bought it so I can use the airbrush in the basement instead of going out to the garage where the big compressor lives. The brad nailer is a bonus, and works good too, but I've only used it with the big compressor so far. They run this $59 special about every 3 or 4 months.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,227 Posts
I went to both Lowes in my area and both were sold out. Hoping some Dad's get them for Father's Day.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I'll check out Lowes, with hope in my heart come Monday, But that is good to know Pete.

I have a little tascam single action brush that I can run for an hour off my portable air can. setting it up wastes almost half the can.

I also have a full automotive grade spray gun but cant run it at home because I don't have the air. I take it to the brewery where I have a dried supply of 120psi air available.

cool story... we fabricated the air dryer from spare parts. the air from the main compressor runs into a old boiler expansion cylinder, to seperate the air, and that runs down to a 3 foot long length of 4 inch copper pipe deading into a conical cap.

that whole mechanism is wrapped with 1/2" copper tubing with contains recirculated 24f degree chilled propylene glycol.

so.. whats happening is that the air is chilled, this induces condensation, which runs down the cylinder and is ejected, the exhaust air from there runs through the air handler separator... and .. bam... dry air!

the comedy of the situation is that all this stuff is installed in the mechanical room of the brewery... we call it.. the "cave" it litterly is, under ground, and all the chillers are located next to the boilers, so there is this ... hot and dank environment back there and all the cold condensation coupled with the high humidty back there?

well, lets just say, that with out regular up keep, the place can get a bit.. slimy...

so the little mechanicly timed port that ejected the condensated moisture from the air dryer formed a little covering of.... slime... so when it did its thing of releasing the air to blow out the condensate water... well... the thing started to sound like something in the cave was letting out a giant fart.

now... that's comedy in and of itself... however.. I had to mess with the maintence guy who built all this stuff and had set up the mechanical workshop a little further up in the cave where it was dryer.

I got a bag of those siren whistles. and one weekend in between all my usual beer mine tasks, I fabricated this... thing made out of brass pipe fittings, and PVC pipe scraps hat culminated in a siren wistle.

my little manifold thing managed to slow the air down enough to let the whistle work and let off a big, LOUD WaaaaaaaaaWHEEEEEEEE!! whenever the air dryer discharged...

the next day.. my day off, I was rudely woken up by crazy old man Tim calling me up calling me a sunnufabich while laughing his tail off.

I had to order a bag of forty of those dang whistles and blasted through 10 of them to get it all working right...
needless to say.. I'm still giving those things out to the kids of uppity parents.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,227 Posts
Mrs. pops comes through and saves the day

Well Lowes just happened to run out of these while they were on sale. (Note I was there this week while they are not on sale and there were several of them on the shelf.)

Anyway, last Sunday Fathers Day, after I went to two different Lowes, the Wife who was 'spose to be out picking up a pizza rushes in the door saying she has to go to the bathroom and for me to go out to the car, passenger side, and get the pizza. I had to laugh at her all but diving into the bathroom as I walked out of the front door towards the car. I open the door and low and behold there is a box containing the compressor and nailer! I turn around and she is standing at the front door laughing at me and my suprised look. SHE GOT ME!

I like this one even better than the one from lowes as this is 3 gal and the Lowes is only 2. Na, Na, Na, Na, Naaaa!