SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Discussion
Greene Valley - 2012

Just a heads up, that I've been informed by the DuPage Forest Preserve that due to Illinois EPA maintenance and construction activities, the hill might be closed on any given day without advanced notice. So, it might be open one weekend or even weekend day and closed the next and open the next after that, etc.

They did tell me that if they are notified by Waste Management of specific dates/periods when the hill will be closed, they'll publicize the information - presumably on the preserve's web site.

In the mean time, one just needs to head to the hill to find out.
That said, it would probably nice if folks can post to this thread when arriving at the hill and indicate if it is open or closed that day so that those who live far away can avoid an unnecessary drive.

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 04:14 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Well whether the hill is open or not doesn't seem to matter. I was just out there. According to the guys at the top of the hill, no one is allowed to leave the road or the trail. Essentially no going into the tall grass. Also if you are going to fly a glider you are only allowed to fly it from the designated glider area. Where is that?? As you enter the parking lot there is a sign, "Glider fliers check in with staff." That is the area you can stand.

So essentially there is no flying gliders at the hill this year.
-Gohst
gohsthb is offline Find More Posts by gohsthb
Old May 07, 2012, 09:39 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
Hank,

I have not been out there this year; but in years past, flying was supposed to be done from the special use area. This is at the west end of the hill. There is a dirt road that leads to it from the parking lot at the top of the hill.

I just took a look at the Greene Valley website. One thing I noticed is that there is only mention made of non-powered gliders. In the past, electric powered gliders/sailplanes were allowed.

Lew
L Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by L Jenkins
Old May 08, 2012, 06:53 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
Lew,
I tried to fly from over there. I was told the special use area was for things like geocaching and stuff. That was when he pointed me to the glider sign. The 2 guys they have posted up there seem very new. They also make mention of calling their supervisor a lot.
-Hank
Old May 12, 2012, 08:07 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Jan 2001
470 Posts
I stopped by the hill briefly this afternoon and talked with one of the new rangers at the top. He told me that there had been discussions with his supervisor and with his supervisor's supervisor about where gliders can be flown. He also mentioned that there was some confusion about this last weekend. He said that gliders can be flown from the special use area and also from the mowed perimeter around the fence. They would also open the back gate to allow people to fly from the southeast side of the hill. They do not want anyone flying from the side of the hill, but it's O.K. to walk down the hill to retrieve a glider.

Lew
L Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by L Jenkins
Old May 18, 2012, 08:45 AM
bpr
Oak Park, IL USA
Joined Jan 2005
114 Posts
might be flyable

NOAA says the wind might be flyable this weekend.

Personally, I may try Sunday if the 'crops' get in on Saturday.
bpr is offline Find More Posts by bpr
Old May 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
There is a notam in effect this weekend. It starts after 7pm on Sat. and goes through Mon. So there will be no flying on Sunday.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:17 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Wow.....this spot really sounds like a bummer.
With all this mess/confusion associated with the site....are you guys flying somewhere else?
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old May 23, 2012, 11:31 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,649 Posts
There was no mess or confusion last weekend. Everything was the same as in previous seasons (years). The wind was blowing from the south, we were flying from the other side of the fence (opposite to the parking lot) and were walking down the hill to retrieve our planes. The rangers were courteous and friendly.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
well that sounds great!
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old May 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ken
Chicago
Joined Feb 2004
25 Posts
Greene Valley - Model Glider Permit

New glider pilots at Greene Valley, don't forget you are suppose to have a DuPage County model aircraft permit, which you can download from here:

http://www.dupageforest.com/Recreati...aft_Areas.html

The permit PDF form has special instructions for Greene Valley, which indicate that "battery powered assist engines may be used" at this glider/sailplane only field.

Looking forward to another great year of sloping at Greene Valley!
--Ken
FlugTag is offline Find More Posts by FlugTag
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:31 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Mar 2009
833 Posts
I think today is the day! Bring sun screen!
-Gohst
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
FYI there is a notam all weekend
So no flying this weekend

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:48 AM
Windy City Flyer