HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:11 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
You know what's coming! This month it's the Durafly Lancaster & Vampire...although I am testing a very nice 1100mm Skyraider at the mo....
That's great to hear, the Lanc looks beautiful. Are you guys planning one or two releases a month?

I don't mean to be nosy but my birthday is coming up and I'm so hoping for a german bird or a tempest/typhoon to be out.
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:25 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Wow!! At long last... There has been serious lack of T-28 Trojan kits. I love the white/orange trainer scheme...never thought we would see one of these on the market.

Once again, Hobbyking is taking the big risks, developing new/innovative/original products.
It is amazing to me that every RC plane manufacturer out ther makes one of these. I know they are good fliers but they don't appeal to me at all. To each his own I guess.

How about something from the USSR or an ME-110 or something like that?
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Wow!! At long last... There has been serious lack of T-28 Trojan kits. I love the white/orange trainer scheme...never thought we would see one of these on the market.

Once again, Hobbyking is taking the big risks, developing new/innovative/original products.
Yeah, the new Lancaster, Vampire, F3F and so on all fitting into the same catagory. Not to mention all the other stuff in the pipeline.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvi View Post
That's great to hear, the Lanc looks beautiful. Are you guys planning one or two releases a month?

I don't mean to be nosy but my birthday is coming up and I'm so hoping for a german bird or a tempest/typhoon to be out.
I'm not sure about two per month, at the moment they are just being released as they are ready, not much of a strategy I'm afraid!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:11 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
I'm not sure about two per month, at the moment they are just being released as they are ready, not much of a strategy I'm afraid!
No worries it's all good. Winter won't be over for at least 3 months so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Got my Mustang last week and she's all ready and sitting pretty. I can't wait to fly her.

Cheers
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:34 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
OK, I've got mine ready for a maiden tomorrow.
I decided not to swap out the ESC after all, because I think it might have been a matter of my flap servos hitting the stops and stalling that was causing a little extra current drain. I've set the flaps properly now and run up the motor with the stock prop (which looks perfect, btw) and managed to get a constant 330 W out of it (dropping initially from about 360 W) on a fresh battery. I ran it full-bore for about two minutes with the ESC in my hand and it was only a little warm at the end of it - pretty much perfect. I had not balanced the prop before the test, so I was ready to stop in a hurry if things became rough, but it was as smooth as silk without me meddling with it - very encouraging!

On 3S (of course) the 330 W means about 28 A to 30 A on a loaded battery so that's fine for the ESC and with a quoted take-off weight of 1260 g that means about 130 W per 500 g which is a very acceptable power to weight ratio.

Last check to make was the CoG and I'm nose-heavy by about 5mm which is good for a maiden flight. Looking forward to tomorrow, just hope that there is only a light breeze, if any ...
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:52 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Perfect conditions for a test-fly this morning - no breeze at all, and an overcast sky.

I cranked it up and away it went. The first evidence of its higher wing-loading compared to the PZ model was the longer than expected takeoff roll. Once up it was solid and well-behaved. The retracts worked perfectly. It has a high roll-rate compared to the PZ on similar throws and it will climb easily. I was flying most of the maiden at about 70% throttle and it was still happy to roll quickly without losing height and looped effortlessly. Low passes at full-bore with the gear up looked great! Time to see the flaps in action: I had only about 15 deg set so that I could see how it went with that as a starting point. I got some height and hit the switch - a slight nose-up but nothing alarming and I was easily able to counter it with a little down-elevator.
Landing was easy, but I didn't use the flaps on the maiden landing (I wasn't sure how much elevator to mix in before takeoff). With the higher wing-loading it likes to use a lot of the strip which is not unexpected. Once I get accustomed to the flaps, this will be more manageable. Obviously with the extra weight, it doesn't float in like the PZ one (exactly as Simo had said), but it is nice and steady and predictable anyway, so it doesn't matter. I had four flights on a grass runway which isn't perfectly smooth and the retracts didn't even look like giving way!

Overall impression: I love Trojans and this one is very classy for a very modest price!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:43 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
What is the C of G ? ......

we were down at the field yesterday flying a Buddies T28 ..... it did seem nose heavy to us but assembly/lipo was completely to spec and the four flights went well ...... take off on grass was fine as was landing ...... retracts worked well and flaps also ..... Nav lights were visible on a cloudy day - no sun .....

The owner didn't have the C of G and I got the impression there wasn't one in the instructions ? .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:06 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
I flew the T-28 loads on Tuesday and with a 2200mAh 3s pack in the nose it was spot on, slight amount of down stick needed inverted, spent all day landing without flaps due to the 10-15k crosswind.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:03 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
What is the C of G ? ......
The owner didn't have the C of G and I got the impression there wasn't one in the instructions ? .......
Page 1 says 72 mm in a list of specifications.
Page 6 has a section titled "Center of Gravity (C.G.)" and has a plan-form photograph showing the CoG being 72 mm rearward of the leading edge at the root (which is a completely conventional way of indicating it of course). So, I don't know which manual your buddy was looking at.

I've decided to make some mods to mine - I've removed all the LEDs and wiring which was 20 g (almost 3/4 oz) but I'm also going to remove the flaps (servos, control linkages, horns and wiring). The reason being that I just want to lower the wing-loading as my flying skills are not quite up to to the stock configuration. I'd like to stress that I'm not criticising the stock setup, it's just that my landings are more often heavy arrivals in the last couple of feet - I never quite get to flair before it drops to the strip. It's more about my unsophisticated flying than anything else. As much as I don't want to say so, I've been flying a certain "competitor's" T-28 for over a year which is almost exactly the same size and it is a gem to land and it makes me look a much better pilot than I really am. I essentially want that plane with retracts, so I'm going to try and make the Durafly T-28 be that.
Last edited by yarrumevets; Jan 13, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Page 1 says 72 mm in a list of specifications.
Page 6 has a section titled "Center of Gravity (C.G.)" and has a plan-form photograph showing the CoG being 72 mm rearward of the leading edge at the root (which is a completely conventional way of indicating it of course). So, I don't know which manual your buddy was looking at.

I've decided to make some mods to mine - I've removed all the LEDs and wiring which was 20 g (almost 3/4 oz) but I'm also going to remove the flaps (servos, control linkages, horns and wiring). The reason being that I just want to lower the wing-loading as my flying skills are not quite up to to the stock configuration. I'd like to stress that I'm not criticising the stock setup, it's just that my landings are more often heavy arrivals in the last couple of feet - I never quite get to flair before it drops to the strip. It's more about my unsophisticated flying than anything else. As much as I don't want to say so, I've been flying a certain "competitor's" T-28 for over a year which is almost exactly the same size and it is a gem to land and it makes me look a much better pilot than I really am. I essentially want that plane with retracts, so I'm going to try and make the Durafly T-28 be that.
Many thanks for the reply ..... maybe I misunderstood him but he didn't know the C of G ...... I'll remind him to check and let me know how it looks against the instructions ......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Apr 2007
56 Posts
Backwards "D"?

You can tell this fine bird was manufactured in China. The fit and finish is excellent, but the detail is weird. Note the backwards "D" on the tail.
Squeekeron is offline Find More Posts by Squeekeron
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:13 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
Many thanks for the reply .....
No worries mate - hope everything turns out well for you both there
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I am quite surprised that this is the slowest moving thread among the threads on the Durafly warbirds. Is it really not as popular as the others?

Anyone has any videos of this T-28 in flight?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:05 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
I am quite surprised that this is the slowest moving thread among the threads on the Durafly warbirds. Is it really not as popular as the others?

Anyone has any videos of this T-28 in flight?
I hope to get a video in the next week or so...It's a great plane & is also a great sport flyer.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71