HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:38 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Build Log
Twin Super Dynam Hawk Sky or "The Flight of the Phoenix"

Posting in this forum because there is no Zombie plane forum, and this isn't exactly scratch built.

I have over the past year or so purchased one Hawk Sky's and one EZ hawk. Since these were a couple of my very first RC planes they got pretty smashed up. Now I am on my third hawk sky and was wondering what to do with the old ones. I could have used them for parts but one day it dawned on me. Why not Bash them together.

Here is the initial body plan after hacking the wings of my EZ hawk which suffered an aileron ripping crash. I also trimmed the Horizontal stabs to match.
flinx is offline Find More Posts by flinx
Last edited by flinx; Feb 27, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:45 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
First thing I did was pickup some fiberglass cloth and resin epoxy. I used that to join the two chopped wings together. I used bamboo skewers and the hawk wing rod/spar to help hold the wings together while the epoxy set.

At one time I had a Radian (may it rest in pieces). Since I don't fly too well without ailerons it didn't last very long (2 flights). But that is another story. I rescued several parts from the Radian. One of those was the wing spar/rod.

I drilled the holes larger in the Hawk wing and used the Radian Rod as the new spar (it is much longer). This also required major surgery on the main wings to accommodate the thicker radian rod. Drilling did not work to well. The results look like this:
Last edited by flinx; Feb 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
The Finished wing is now 65 inches wide while the hawk sky wing is 54 inches. My nephew "Fly Frontier" is holding it in the attached image.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:52 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
The next step was to trim and connect the Horizontal stabs and elevators. I did that with toothpicks and epoxy.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
There were other repairs made to the noses of both fuselages as the were rather munged.

The next step will be installing motors, speed controls, adding a second rudder servo and control rod since the EZ Hawk never had one. I would like to do this with 2 speed controls and would appreciate any advice on how to wire this for dual motors. Right now the plan is to use 2 2200mah lipo batteries for power, as that is what I have available.

The airplane when put together looks like this.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:59 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Stay tuned over the next couple of weeks for the rest of the build.
Last edited by flinx; Feb 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:21 PM
Electric foamy flyer
Chandler, Arizona
Joined Apr 2010
306 Posts
This thing is so cool. Can't wait to see it fly.
fly Frontier is offline Find More Posts by fly Frontier
Last edited by fly Frontier; Feb 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:55 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Awesome work!! That would make a superb FPV platform.

...and those twin pusher props are going to sound terrific too.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:00 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
As for hooking up the dual motors... are you going brushless? If so, you'll have to go with two identical motors and identical ESCs.

Wire each to their respetive motors normally, connect the two servo leads via a "Y" connector and plug the Y into the Rx as usual.

The only other trick is to make sure that you disable one of the BECs so they don't fight eachother...to do that, just pull the RED wire from the servo lead from ONE of the ESCs...I usually just clip the red wire on one side of the Y connector so I don't permanently disable the BEC on the ESC itself.

Assuming the one remaining BEC has enough amp capacity to run all of your servos, you should be in the clear.

Be careful running your battery down too far. It's likely that one ESC will hit LVC before the other and shut one motor down, making the plane spin like a top.

Does that make sense? If not, I will try to clarify.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:41 PM
Sir Crash-a-lot
Phoenix,az
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Too complete the build required 4 - 18 inch servo extenders. 4 y connectors. I drilled a hole through the center wing section. I ran the 4 servo extenders to the right side and connected all the Y connectors on the left side. On the right side I connected a battery to the ESC and removed the center connector from the plug that goes to the receiver. On the left side I connected a battery and using a Y connector connected the 2 ESC's to the receiver. Since both planes had the weights knocked out of the noses when they crashed I placed the 2 2200mah batteries all the way forward. A quick check of balance put it right around the wing rod. That's good enough for me. I had to add a servo and rod for the rudder on the right side as the EZ hawk did not have one. I tested and centered all servos. I also installed a esky rate gyro for aileron stability.

Today we went out to fly. It was very windy, around 10 mph. I first flew my Hawk sky to get a feel for the wind. After about 3 flights We launched the Phoenix. Since this was my first twin engine flight I was surprised by the speed and had to quickly throttle back. Twice around the field and Fly Frontier caught it.

Twin Super Dynam Hawk Sky - Flight of the Phoenix (1 min 52 sec)

I flew 2 more times. For some reason it had a tendency to turn right. Do not know if that was caused by the wind or something else. Last flight was a hard landing and tweaked the left nose.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:35 AM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Feb 2011
53 Posts
Nice job on the kit bash! I loving seeing unique aircraft fly.
CADGURU is offline Find More Posts by CADGURU
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:05 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Dang that was great! The plane had the tendancy to turn right because each propeller was rotating the same direction. If you reverse the prop on one motor and then switch the black wires on that motor, the rotations will cancel eachother out.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:59 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
Dang that was great! The plane had the tendancy to turn right because each propeller was rotating the same direction. If you reverse the prop on one motor and then switch the black wires on that motor, the rotations will cancel eachother out.
And the airplane will spin like a top.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:02 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
And the airplane will spin like a top.
AJ
lol

it needs a reverse rotation prop on one motor so that both props are pushing while turning opposite directions. good job, very interesting plane and i bet its a rocket a full throttle
Strizzo is offline Find More Posts by Strizzo
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:15 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Nice! That center piece between the two fuses would make an awesome platform for all sorts of FPV gear.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc