HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:40 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Help guys! It happened! I need a real motor. Whats my brushless choices again? And how do u rate the rtf kit??? How much? Everyone is out of stock of stock motor. Maybe its a sign!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWo3b...e_gdata_player
Please help guys , i may have to go brushless
heli,

heli-heli.com has the motors in stock $10. Here's the link.

http://heli-heli.com/items/heli-part...-25-detail.htm

They're running a 10% off special on walkera parts starting @ midnight tonight through the weekend.
Coupon code @ checkout is: WALKERA
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Help guys! It happened! I need a real motor. Whats my brushless choices again? And how do u rate the rtf kit??? How much? Everyone is out of stock of stock motor. Maybe its a sign!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWo3b...e_gdata_player
Please help guys , i may have to go brushless
Heli Biggie, I like the V400d a lot but I would just get another brushed motor and do what you can to make it run cool. Keep it just to play with and look in to a different heli. (Mini Titan, Trex or clone). You get a good one of those and with your flying skills you wouldn't break stuff anymore. After a long time you just wear stuff out. But thats just me.
I got well over 330(probably more like 400) flights on the blue ray and have replaced servos and bearings but thats because they were cheap servos and bearings.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:50 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Heli biggie,

if you have a 2801 pro tx, then build your own brushless system. If you still use the 2603 tx, get an rtf drop in system. Then if you ever decide to get a 2801 tx you can simply swap out the motor and esc to get some real performance out of your v400.

Sam, you cannot put it a one way bearing into the V400. True auto rotate would require the tail rotor to spin as well when power is off. The tail motor helis cant do this. You can use the throttle hold if you lose the tail motor, and it will slow down the rate of spinning, but you will still have to slow piro to the ground.

Dil, i'll ask on the other thread.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
Here is a vid of my 450 frankenheli. It's a tad off topic for this thread, but since she's got walkera brains, and the v400 is what got me started on it in the first place, I figured i'd share on this thread too

Here's what i posted on the other thread describing the video below:

Got my new tail servo in and went out flying over that tall grass behind my house. After about 4 batteries I went into a tailspin again I had put in the blue lipo 15c battery because i ran out of my gen ace and they were charging, but about a minute into it i went into a tailspin again... this time i was too close to the ground and in a spot out there not over the 6 foot grass (see video below), so while trying to correct or at least hit the the tall grass, not having enough time to realize it was not just my clumsy fingers causing the tail spin, i didn't get the throttle hold in time and bent up the main shaft, flybar, and who knows what else pretty good. At least I should have my new parts to get the v400 back up and running soon....

Anyway, i didn't catch the tailspin on video, but in the 40 min of flight time before that, at least i got a little bit of video of my bird in the air

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8MR2H0t7nY
It looks like your flying it really good. Why did you lose the tail
These helis are wearing me out.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:56 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jul 2011
570 Posts
Heli,

here's my parts list on the bl conversion

hobbymate 3500 kv motor. got it @ dealextreme. $12 ( I was planning to put this motor on my uflys...after seeing the head speed on the v400 I'm not sure what I was thinking) Definitely way more motor than you'll need. Comes with the bullet connector & a pinion which I did not use. You will wait 2-3 weeks for it.

Exceed 30A esc - Got it @ hobbypartz.com $14 (It was supposed to be the hobbywing but it works)

xtreme signal converter - got it @ heli-heli.com $15

Robinson Racing 64p 16t pinion - got it on ebay $6 shipped. Got in 2-3 days. It really is a good mesh with the stock main gear.

Think that totals about $47. You'll need to make a y harness to connect the battery to the 2 escs. I also posted earlier about dialing the throttle curve way down to 40%. This motor was way too much. The punchout & power is still much improved. I now only wait about 5 min to allow the tail motor to cool & I can run another pack.

Hope that helps. I can get you the links later if you'd like.

If you're willing to do a little soldering you can do it yourself. (got all the info on this & the helifreak forum). It's not a perfect solution, but it will solve your main motor problem. I went through 4 in less than 2 months. Now I only worry about the tail motor.
dgibbons is offline Find More Posts by dgibbons
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:03 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
I got the 2801, so what am i going to need? I dont want to mess things up.

I cant buy anymore helis . Im happy witht my fleet. The 400can only get better. I sill dont consider this a wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Heli biggie,

if you have a 2801 pro tx, then build your own brushless system. If you still use the 2603 tx, get an rtf drop in system. Then if you ever decide to get a 2801 tx you can simply swap out the motor and esc to get some real performance out of your v400.

Sam, you cannot put it a one way bearing into the V400. True auto rotate would require the tail rotor to spin as well when power is off. The tail motor helis cant do this. You can use the throttle hold if you lose the tail motor, and it will slow down the rate of spinning, but you will still have to slow piro to the ground.

Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:06 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Heli Biggie, I like the V400d a lot but I would just get another brushed motor and do what you can to make it run cool. Keep it just to play with and look in to a different heli. (Mini Titan, Trex or clone). You get a good one of those and with your flying skills you wouldn't break stuff anymore. After a long time you just wear stuff out. But thats just me.
I got well over 330(probably more like 400) flights on the blue ray and have replaced servos and bearings but thats because they were cheap servos and bearings.
I would have to differ with this.

I have two 450 pro projects that im working on, and they have been giving me more problems that the v400 ever did. I actualy rely on my V400 to be ready to fly when my 450s' are waiting for parts. With a good brushless motor and esc (alpha 400, exceed 40a) and a set of good servos (hitec 5055), and the V400 is a real performer. Dealing with the small brushed tail motor is the only draw back on my V400 right now, and i only have to worry about it after 30 flights or so. (brushless tail mod still in the works).

All helis have there problems, some times you may get lucky with a problem free rtf (my m120 has been perfect so far). But, after working with the 450 pro, i realized how much easier life was with the V400.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:20 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Biggie, there is alot of info and how to around page 60 - 65 on this thread. I use a alpha 400 motor (run at 50 - 60%), 40A esc (bigger than i need but never even gets warm), standard signal convertor (slodered the bigger leads fron old stock motor to it), robinson racing 16t 64p 3mm bore pinion (if you can find a 15t it would allow you to use more motor), and made up the y-split for both escs'. I would only recomend this brushless system to someone who uses the 2801 tx. It is too much motor for the 400, but when used with a 2200mah battery, the heli feels as solid as my 450s'.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Quote:
I would have to differ with this.

I have two 450 pro projects that im working on, and they have been giving me more problems that the v400 ever did. I actualy rely on my V400 to be ready to fly when my 450s' are waiting for parts. With a good brushless motor and esc (alpha 400, exceed 40a) and a set of good servos (hitec 5055), and the V400 is a real performer. Dealing with the small brushed tail motor is the only draw back on my V400 right now, and i only have to worry about it after 30 flights or so. (brushless tail mod still in the works).

All helis have there problems, some times you may get lucky with a problem free rtf (my m120 has been perfect so far). But, after working with the 450 pro, i realized how much easier life was with the V400.
Your probably right kdean. I really havn't had that much trouble with the V400. In fact, I might try the brushless mod at some time. But that dang blueray is a workhorse. I havn't crashed that thing in over 250 flights. Time in the air vs. work done to it is small.Same cheap blades since last crash. As it turns out its the cheapest heli I have to flyThe last crash was when a elev servo went out. Finally a pinion gear broke but it didn't crash, just started making a lot of nose. No problems with the head at all. And it handles wind really good. The gy48 gyro I thought was going out but I just had it set wrong.
But Heli Biggie, I can understand not wanting ANOTHER heli.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:07 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
The Blueray does look like a very nice "next heli". Is it compatable with align trex 450 sport parts?
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:52 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
622 Posts
Quote:
Heli biggie,

ah.. just hit me
v400 tail using motor and not shaft/belt driven...

Seems like 2801pro is very good upgrade
for many more future upgrade

i just check on my country.. it cost more than v400 rtf set...
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:34 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1741 View Post
ah.. just hit me
v400 tail using motor and not shaft/belt driven...

Seems like 2801pro is very good upgrade
for many more future upgrade

i just check on my country.. it cost more than v400 rtf set...
But worth it
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:25 AM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,358 Posts
But if i didnt want to do it myself. Is the rtf brushless kit going to give me anyproblems??
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:53 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,718 Posts
This is my opinion. but the rtf system that I got had some major problems.Other guys have no problems with it.

First thing was the start ups were choppy. The motor would jerk about three times before it spun properly, causing the blades to shift and then once spinning would jerk and snap the heli. Thats all it takes to break the tail fin.

Then, It started to drop power in flight every now and then. Keeped me on edge every flight.

And the last straw for me was the signal convertor had some kind of connection problem, causing uncontrolable throttle pumping when trying to spool up. And more frequent power drops once in the air.

After seeing how simple the system is to put together, I decided to make my own. Now my V400 #1 is the best flying heli I have right now.

The hardest part about building your own brushless set-up is the soldering of the signal convertor wires, and soldering the y-cables for the power to both esc's. If you have any soldering experience, you should have no problems.

Due to my experience with the rtf system, I would recommend you put your own together. Its impossible to mess it up. If you need any help, thats what we're here for. We can post you through it
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:57 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Quote:
The Blueray does look like a very nice "next heli". Is it compatable with align trex 450 sport parts?
Yeah kdean, when I crashed I replaced bent parts with align and put HiTec servos in.
It was the first heli I could take out and fly ten packs through it, bring it home maybe lube the main shaft and tail parts, and it was ready for next time.
I made a mistake by buying the RTF model instead of the receiver ready model. I bought a used DX7 and receiver and that was much better. I later had some problems but found out there was nothing wrong in the first place.
BLUERAY.avi (6 min 16 sec)

The thing I don't like is that I have to go out to a flying field or just a field because its not safe to fly in the park(somebody could get hurt). Thats why I like the V400D and my fixed pitch helis.
Since I made this video, I've backed way up to work on circles, nose in hover and more slow speed stuff but it was fun just getting it out there and ripping around. I'm still a beginner with a lot to learn about flying and working on these helis. Thanks again for the help your forum has provided.
I'm an old man now so I don't really what to fly upside down and I really don't want to learn tic tocs. It just doesn't do it for me. I know I could learn it and I can fly inverted on the sim with no problem. I do appreciate the skill required to execute these maneuvers.
Last edited by barnstorm100; Aug 05, 2011 at 10:08 AM.