HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Speaking of landing gear. I just fnished the (re)building of the second fuse for my FC and used the replacement gear from the H9 Super Cub 25e. This required shortening the top shock mount and both lower shock tubes. Don't try this unless you are comfortable cross drilling small diameter stainless tube. It also required imbeding hardwood blocks into the fuse bottom to hang the gear on. Since the H9 SC is a lot heavier than my FC the action of the gear is quite stiff. Has anyone pulled the bungee covers off this gear and know what is under them? I am hoping for a maiden later today to see how they work as is but am pretty sure I will need to soften them up.

John
Could you please post some pics of your mods--Thanks
RC_AVIGATOR is offline Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,788 Posts
Hey Guys, Thanks! I was really sweating it! Fully ready for flight she came in at a whopping 55oz.! (I think someone was just asking how much a FunCub could carry?) Well, as you can see she didn't have any problem carrying it, the only thing I noticed was that she had to be flown just a little faster and that when the flaps are deployed she came down much steeper (but still under full control) than she did before. All this and still flying with recommended HiMax power set up!
My read on the cublandinggear gear - in a word 'wonderful'! On the bench they seemed a bit soft (I used four size 223 o-rings) so I added one additional o-ring on the back side of each gear (for a total of six). After the first landing it was apparent that she had a little too much bounce so I went back to four and it worked out great! In fact on one touch and go I intentionally kept her on the ground just to watch the gear 'work'! On a lighter model you'll have to play with the size and quantity of o-rings, rubber bands, or springs you decide to use.
I have to thank Lane D. (northrop n9m) the test pilot for the occasion for all his help and encouragement (and also for letting me take the sticks on his 1/4 Scale Hangar 9 Cub and his Sig Kommander - what a blast!) at the end of the day he starts pulling the servos out of the Kommander, I asked why you pulling the servos?? He turns and says, " I'm gonna leave this here with you". .
I'd also like to thank Steve J (phranticness) for recording the occasion with an unfamiliar camera (the majority of the footage in the video is stuff he shot)!
Anyway, it's been a real adventure, I've learned some interesting new construction techniques and found that they're entirely doable - You just have to 'try' it - Hmmm, maybe its time to take another look at the 'Double ender'! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:02 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
Hi Gord im embarrassed you are right I found no Fun Cub in all my downloaded planes from knife edge I must have been flying the piper cub i dont know why I thought it was the fun cub.I also have phoenix sim i have been using.sorry for the error.
No problem. I was actually hoping you were right!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:55 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_AVIGATOR View Post
Could you please post some pics of your mods--Thanks
Here is a pic of the H9 Super Cub gear under the FC. The arrows point to the parts that needed to be modified. Both ends of the upper shock mount were shortened and redrilled. Both lower shock tubes were shortened and redrilled. I cut two channels into the fuse bottom from side to side and and gorilla glued in two lengths of hardwood motor mount stock to screw the LG to. Since nobody on this thread seems to know what is under the bungee covers I guess I will have to remove them and see for myself. The action now is a bit stiff for the lighter FC.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Here is a pic of the H9 Super Cub gear under the FC. The arrows point to the parts that needed to be modified. Both ends of the upper shock mount were shortened and redrilled. Both lower shock tubes were shortened and redrilled. I cut two channels into the fuse bottom from side to side and and gorilla glued in two lengths of hardwood motor mount stock to screw the LG to. Since nobody on this thread seems to know what is under the bungee covers I guess I will have to remove them and see for myself. The action now is a bit stiff for the lighter FC.

John
hanger 9 super cub 25e? you mean the eflite super cub 25e?????
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:53 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
hanger 9 super cub 25e? you mean the eflite super cub 25e?????
Yes

I did cut the tie wrap holding the bungee cover and found 4 "O"rings on each leg. I removed 2 "O"rings from each and have much better action than before. The trickiest part was getting new tie wraps worked back in to secure the covers.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Yes

I did cut the tie wrap holding the bungee cover and found 4 "O"rings on each leg. I removed 2 "O"rings from each and have much better action than before. The trickiest part was getting new tie wraps worked back in to secure the covers.

John
cool!
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
anyone have any vido links to some 3d flying with the fun cub? mabe some rolling circles and hovering?

Thanks Scott
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:59 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,284 Posts
Has anybody attempted to 'piggy-back' a glider using their FunCub similar to the Sig Kadet Senior 60?

http://www.espritmodel.com/sig-kadet-senior-60-arf.aspx
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:23 AM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotony View Post
Hi All,
Still waiting for delivery of my Fun Cub kit .

One inquiry......................is it possible to build this as a two piece wing?
Now that I have got my kit I feel I need to reverse this question.

Is there really much point in following the manual and having a two piece wing?
Eventually separating them is going to lead to wear and tear and there is potential for mid air failure in aggressive manoeuvres.

As long as I am prepared to live with a longer wingspan and the associated transport and storage challenges then a one piece wing seems to be a better engineering approach.

Has anyone any comments?
Tony
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:

Eventually separating them is going to lead to wear and tear and there is potential for mid air failure in aggressive manoeuvres.

As long as I am prepared to live with a longer wingspan and the associated transport and storage challenges then a one piece wing seems to be a better engineering approach.

Has anyone any comments?
Tony
Tony,

I finally glued them together after I found them wearing. If keeping it together causes no storage or transport problem then break out the glue.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Oct 2005
100 Posts
PMPJOHN - Nice gear! Is the additional weight much of a factor and does it lower the nose at all where prop dings would be a factor with larger props?

Thanks!
Rocketman320 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman320
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Has anybody attempted to 'piggy-back' a glider using their FunCub similar to the Sig Kadet Senior 60?

http://www.espritmodel.com/sig-kadet-senior-60-arf.aspx
Just this, + (sometimes we lift the alula same way):
Speedster 20 DS, dive test. (0 min 46 sec)

Instead we do this:

Funcup, towing 2 large gliders. (1 min 44 sec)

With this:
RC Funcup go pro. (1 min 42 sec)

Rc. Amp draw, static / flight (1 min 40 sec)

Rolling circle at 0:45
(Older and Smaller motor)

Funcup towing fun. (1 min 54 sec)

Or on windy days I do this:

MPX Funcup sloping (1 min 55 sec)

Cheers
S
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Here is a pic of the H9 Super Cub gear under the FC. .

John
John - that looks great, I may have to try a set myself.. Thanks for the pic

Greg
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:53 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
Quote:

Has anyone any comments?
Tony
I kept mine separate because of storage and transport issues. I did glue the spreaders the wing bolts to separate wing halves so that there is a wing bolt going through each half. I have had no issues what so ever. In fact I was flying figure eights around a set of light poles on a soccer field recently with a friend...read pylon racing...and we go a little close resulting in a fairly fast wing strike against the pole and a rather hard landing...read crash. broke fuse just in front of tail (about 85% cut through) and cracked the nose from hatch to floor, even broke the stiffener I had put in. It put two small dents in the front of left wing but no displacement or damage to wing mount area.

Jimmy
Rescuejim is online now Find More Posts by Rescuejim