HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
Pile it in!
Kalamazoo Mi
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Discussion
Rimfire outrunner Easystar

Well guys im shopping for my burshless set up for my easystar and am having tons of problems deciding on what i want. I like the Rimfire motors from Towerhobbies because it comes with a 2 year warranty.

But i cannot find the appropriate motor for my needs. I would like it to have the perfomance of something like a Eflite 6 series or mega 16 15 4.

I want power on tap and the ability to climb straight vertical and do like 80mph.

I just cant find the right motor prop combo and am dumbfounded by the prop sizes. If anyone could recomend a nice rimfire brushless outrunner that can swing a small prop like the easystar demands that would be great.

I plan to mount the motor externally behind the stock motor pod. Using a balsa firewall and a x mount type motor mount like alot of you guys do. Any help with this would be appreciated thank you.
Dannyrevs is offline Find More Posts by Dannyrevs
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:48 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Well, Easy Star has a terminal velocity of about 75mph or so, so I wouldn't push anything above 55-60mph Trust me, when you come within 15-20ft. of yourself, even 45mph looks like you're HAULING

Also, ditch the junky RimFire motors. Most of them can only swing large props, too large for the Easy Star.

Use a Scorpion outrunner which are less expensive and come with a 2 year warranty as well, but are of better quality

A Scorpion 2212-1920 outrunner on an APC 6x5.5E prop and 3 cell 1800-2100 mah 20C lipo battery should be able to haul your Easy Star around with authority, and also give you strong climbs. Not sure about vertical, but this will give you PLENTY of climb rate. Also, unless your Easy Star has full house control, you won't want to go verticaly. It will probably veer off in one direction within 100ft.

Oh yeah, you'll probably have to make a fairly simple motor mount too. Just a plywood circle cut to the same diameter as the inside of the motor mount, epoxied to a 10mm plywood hardwood stick, and then the other end epoxied to another plywood circle that will sit on the outside of the motor mount where the outrunner will screw to
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
I have a Suppo 2212-6 on mine, mounted with an X-mount... obviously a ply (not balsa) firewall is a necessity when you have 250+W going through the motor.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:06 AM
Pile it in!
Kalamazoo Mi
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Thank you for the responses guys. That is 2 more motors i can add to my list of contenders. I was also looking at the Eflite 6 series 2700kv motors but they seem pricey. And of course i looked at the Multiplex power pack upgrade that has a Himaxx 2000 kv inrunner. I suppose top speed isnt a must but right now i have the brushed motor that came with the plane and it flys well its just a dog. Being able to take off from the grass would be nice 2. I do not want to tear my airplane apart so maybe ill avoid the super overpowerd upgrades. That scorpion motor is a fair price and so is the
suppo 2212 6. Once agin guys thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:10 AM
Pile it in!
Kalamazoo Mi
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
I have a Suppo 2212-6 on mine, mounted with an X-mount... obviously a ply (not balsa) firewall is a necessity when you have 250+W going through the motor.
Do u have anymore pics of the inside of the firewall before you glued the plywood circle to the back of it?

Once again thank you!