HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:57 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Peter Rake Bristol Scout.

My Peter Rake designed Bristol Scout is one of my favourite models. I built this one a long time ago but shortly thereafter it was shot down by the dreaded interference at a field I no longer use. Finally I got it repaired to the point of making it flyable again. If you saw it up close you'de think it had been through the war but it does fly nice and look great in the air. Any others out there still making patrols of the trenches? I know quite a few were built.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Last edited by Ian Easton; Apr 18, 2005 at 12:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:59 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Photos credits need to go to my daughter Amy.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 02:15 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Ian, Photo 3 is just superb.........a big "big up" to Amy.

Of all the PR plans,( Apart from the SE2,) I like that little Bristol!Lovely.
Was it a free plan with FSM?

I rented from my local library 80 years of the RAF, and there is some nice footage of women pushing Bristol Scouts out of some hangers!

How about you posting up that Picture I sent you from my Dad's collection of the RFC
Bristol scout.

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Last edited by farnboro flyer; Apr 18, 2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 03:10 PM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Here it is...
Last edited by Ian Easton; Apr 18, 2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 09:06 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Nice photos. I must build another one of these. I flew mine so much I sort of "loved it to death".

I have done a lot of research on the Bristol Scout and that is the first photo I've seen showing the instrument panel, very nice.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Apr 19, 2005, 02:50 AM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Greg, That photo I sent to Ian is a very clear RFC picture with some interesting comments on the reverse........
Quote, "The planes are Bristol &have been on the machine since purchase....(R/h top plane excepted)White paint was put on the planes over the old surface at XAD 14.6.17"
Planes total in air 39 hrs.
Planes since white paint 34hrs 45mins.
The white paint has been slightly damaged by a fire extinguisher
With a stamp says X Aircraft Depot Laboratory. Date 24.8.17 Royal Flying Corp.
No of machine is quoted as ?5603

Ian
Old Apr 19, 2005, 06:21 AM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Greg, Unable to send you a private message.
Am asking if you would like the full file of that picture, with reverse side notes?

Ian
Old Apr 19, 2005, 06:41 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Thanks Ian PM sent.
4 Scale is online now Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Apr 19, 2005, 08:23 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Here it is - I meant to post it too...
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:58 AM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Nov 2004
159 Posts
Nice Photos! I am just finishing up an AerodromeRC Bristol Scout witch as I understand is sort of a colaboration between Peter and Kurt. I have to admit, it has turned out even better than I expected! This is a great build and a beautiful little plane. I hope it flys as well as it looks. I will post some pics when I get the tail feathers mounted later this week!
Baumer is offline Find More Posts by Baumer
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:18 PM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Well Ian, you have kinda re-kindled my interest in that little beauty!
I think it deserves a flight or three over South Farnborough.

Ian
Old Jul 21, 2005, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Baumer, Did you get the Bristol Scout in the air?

Ian
Old Aug 17, 2005, 01:13 PM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Nov 2004
159 Posts
Ian

Sorry I'm so slow responding - been on a little vacation! Yes, I did get her in the air and she flys beautifly!! A bit underpowered at first as I put in a small Himaxx brushless and tried to power it with a 2c 1500mah lipo. Swapped in a 3c lipo and it was perfect! She looks great in the air and handles nicely with no bad habits just as Kurt said. Very cool! I have struggled with landings a little as she doesn't seem to like flying slowly and tends to stall close to the ground. I am going to try bringing her in a little hotter and cut power at the last minute. I don't have much experience with these WWI planes yet - any ideas?

Baumer
Old Aug 17, 2005, 02:09 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,572 Posts
Baumer,

Fly it down. While flying level (at altitude) lower the throttle until you can see the tail droop a bit. Use that as a reference for your approach. Keep that attitude with the elevator and use the throttle to control how fast the plane comes down. Don't really flare. Pulling on the elevator will just encourage a balloon/stall. In fact a short/small burst of power near touchdown will slow descent a bit and the wheels will just kiss the runway (not too much of a burst!). Hold the elevator at that position so the tail doesn't come up and nose over (even though it still might if you hit a bit of grass or a rock!).

Now, this is much easier said than done!!! I am just now getting the hang of it after hundreds of landings. The SPAD is what has taught me how to get the feel of it. Tritle has tried to teach this to me and I have always fallen back on the elevator as the main landing control. Not good This is even after learning the proper way in full size! Gotta hit me on the head with a 2x4 before I learn anything

Nice planes!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 19, 2005, 03:09 PM
United States, UT, Lehi
Joined Nov 2004
159 Posts
Now that sounds easy! That smiley expresses exactly how I feel every time I bring this bird in on approach!
Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it. Everything you suggest makes a lot of sense to me after several attempts now. I have relegated myself to the fact that this is just going to the plane I learn how to fly a WWI scale model with. I just hope I don't dash it to toothpics before I get the hang of it!! So far I have broken a few wing struts, cabane struts and torn one of the bottom wings clean off! Happily, nothing has been even close to beyond repair.
Let me take this moment to RAVE about the strength and durability of Polyspan as a covering material. It is unbelievable to me that I can hit the ground hard enough to tear a lower wing off and splinter struts and yet have no damage to leading edges or ribs!! Not only does it lend tremendous strength, it looks terrific and very realistic. The knock I always hear is that it doesnt conform around compound curves very well. I found this to be untrue. It may take a little more care, however, I discovered that if I worked thie edges slowly with a hot iron that the fabric would almost melt around the corners. Sometimes there would be a little sagging or gathering of the material, but again if I worked the location on the corner where the fabric adheres to the wood slowly, pulling with just the pressure of the iron on the wood in the proper direction to tighten the sagging that within a few minutes it would tighten right up and leave me with a perfect wingtip! Fantastic stuff!!