Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:19 PM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,101 Posts
Discussion
Turn coordination esoterica

Never mind, there was an error in my thinking. A slip-skid ball far ahead or far behind the "tangent point" between the fuselage and the curving path of the turn will be less sensitive to the centrifugal force acting on it (compared to a slip-skid ball at the tangent point), because it is not aligned parallel to the turn radius as seen from above. But at the same time, it has more centrifugal force acting on it (compared to a slip-skid ball at the tangent point), because it is describing a larger turn radius than is the point on the fuselage that is tangent to the curving flight path. If I did my trig right it all washes out-- a slip-skid ball or bubble level located at the nose should read the same as a slip-skid ball located at the tail, no matter whether the "tangent point" between the fuselage and the curving flight path is located near the nose, near the tail, midway between, far ahead of the nose (skid), or far behind the tail (slip).

There still is some justification for allowing a slight slip as measured by the ball, and a significantly larger slip as measured by a yaw string at the nose.

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Last edited by aeronaut999; Jul 17, 2014 at 06:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts