HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2014, 01:28 PM
United States, PA, Youngsville
Joined Dec 2013
414 Posts
Discussion
HK450 Pro V2 Tail Servo

Hello, Align seems to reccomend the DS520 servo for their 450 Pro. Are their any economical servos with the same dimensions and specs that can be used on the HK450 Pro?

I looking through the servo section at Hobby King I don't really see any mini sized servos that have the same dimensions as the DS520 as well as having 4 mounting tabs to fit the servo mount on this heli.

Any ideas?
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:51 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGPILOT44 View Post
Hello, Align seems to reccomend the DS520 servo for their 450 Pro. Are their any economical servos with the same dimensions and specs that can be used on the HK450 Pro?

I looking through the servo section at Hobby King I don't really see any mini sized servos that have the same dimensions as the DS520 as well as having 4 mounting tabs to fit the servo mount on this heli.

Any ideas?
I use this size http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8kg_07sec.html

There are quite a few inexpensive choices
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:45 AM
Joined Dec 2013
414 Posts
I didn't realize the mount would fit such a large servo, I think I have something that will work just fine. My kit should be delivered by the end of the week, I'm just trying to make sure I have everything I need for the build.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 01:45 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
Yes , it's a weird size . It's the same size servo that fit on the HK500 cyclic . It's a I between size from standard and mini with 2 holes . A few years ago there were only a few servos that would of worked or fit right on the 500 , now there are a lot of choices . That makes it , for the 450 pro users a lot happier .
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:50 PM
Joined Dec 2013
414 Posts
Has anyone used one of the adapters that is adjustable to fit single hole mounting points? Appears to open up the possibilities for using other servos.

I'm not sure it was the best investment but I found a fast digital EMAX servo with the same dimensions as the DS520. After purchasing I found some people had some negative reviews. I don't fly 3d or plan to, I'm hoping it works out for sport flying until I can find something else.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:16 AM
Joined Jun 2008
467 Posts
This one is a bit more expensive, fits and has mega hold..I use it on my Gaui NX4, but it fits the mount on the 450 pro.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2325&aff=94757
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Jul 09, 2014, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2013
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post
This one is a bit more expensive, fits and has mega hold..I use it on my Gaui NX4, but it fits the mount on the 450 pro.

Thank you for the reply, I will keep this servo in mind. However, Ill look and see if I can find it somewhere other than Hobbyking. I try not to order from them but sometimes their prices just can't be beat . Its takes so long for them to ship and get something delivered. Smaller items allow you to choose priority mail and they handle those orders slightly quicker. However on what they consider larger boxed items their handling time is unaccecptable. My instock order with the 450 kit has been hung up in their wharehouse now for 11 working days, then once it ships its about 5-6 days to get to me.

It seems I go through this everytime I order. Anymore, I only order from them once every couple years for this reason..

I apologize for getting off topic.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:34 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
Wow that's a long time for them to be in customs . Why didn't you order them from the USA warehouse ? I usually get my stuff within the week if I order on Sunday .
Old Jul 09, 2014, 03:59 PM
Joined Dec 2013
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Wow that's a long time for them to be in customs . Why didn't you order them from the USA warehouse ? I usually get my stuff within the week if I order on Sunday .
I did order everything from the USA warehouse! That's my frustration, and this isn't the first time it's gone this way with them and the reason I have such a hard time to justify ordering from them. It's too bad because I'm sure there are others in the same boat. Possibly those just getting into RC, from the start they are getting off to a bad start.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 04:29 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
I had that happen once too just recently. I opened up a ticket with HK and left a message at the post office . Within a few days my order arrived . What had me consened was I ordered something else a week later and got my second order in 4 business days . The first order took almost 3 weeks . It was probably lost in shipping . If I remember correctly it went to ohio then to mass then to New Hampshire then to New Jersey . It misses Conneticut all together LOL. Don't let that discourage you though it happens , just when your on their site open a problem( don't know what it's called ) and it will get resolved . There is a fast digital servo I use from them and it's under 15.00 like .05 sec that fits the tail . It's the corona digital servo, and I think it's in the U.S . Warehouse . I'll find the link
Old Jul 09, 2014, 05:06 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
Here is the link .
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=43356

It fits in the plastic holder but ther is a edge that needs to be shaved off to fit properly . Or you could get a boom mounts and free up all that space in the frame for a receiver or esc
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:29 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGPILOT44 View Post
Has anyone used one of the adapters that is adjustable to fit single hole mounting points? Appears to open up the possibilities for using other servos.

I'm not sure it was the best investment but I found a fast digital EMAX servo with the same dimensions as the DS520. After purchasing I found some people had some negative reviews. I don't fly 3d or plan to, I'm hoping it works out for sport flying until I can find something else.
I use a carbon fibre adaptor on my 450 Pro tail so that I can use the Turnigy 306G which is hard to beat on a 450 tail, and even comes in an HV version.

I've used a lot of Futaba 9257 clones, (of which the Emax is one) and they've all failed in the same way - the motor burns out, developing dead spots on the commutator.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2013
414 Posts
Thanks for all the information regarding the adapter plate, very helpful. When I did some research on the Emax servo I found most of the failures people had were from extended use at 6 volts. I'm not planning on running my flight gear at 6 volts so I'm hoping to have a better experience with it. However, I'm going to pick up another servo with better reliability just to have on hand.

A side note regarding my order at Hobbyking, it still hasn't shipped yet. I started a ticket with them to find out the status.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:01 PM
Joined Oct 2012
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post

+1.
For some reason TGY 306 (which l use on swash) was not so great on the tail. DS 520 is also good but no longer in production l think. DS 525 should be even better. I have it, but have not actually tried it as yet. I would never risk flying a 450 with a tail servo costing less than $40.....too risky since l sometimes hover the Heli close to me.
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:34 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
+1.
For some reason TGY 306 (which l use on swash) was not so great on the tail. DS 520 is also good but no longer in production l think. DS 525 should be even better. I have it, but have not actually tried it as yet. I would never risk flying a 450 with a tail servo costing less than $40.....too risky since l sometimes hover the Heli close to me.
I'd say there's something wrong with your risk assessment! Even cheap servos can be very reliable, and the greater risk would be loss of control, or even say a feathering spindle bolt failure, making close hovering too risky even with gold-plated servos, even with a 450
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c