HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:19 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alset View Post
2) Cost: The Parkzone motors are 15 USD. The Lemon LEM-CH6-LGT 1.5 gram DSM2 Rx is only 5.75 USD. You can get even cheaper motors from Hobby King, so I don't know your definition of "extremely expensive", unless you are thinking of Deltang. Of course all electronics are expensive, percentage wise, when compared to a rubber band.
Over here I mainly see AR6400/6410s or Deltang plus actuators or even Plantraco for the really light stuff. That Lemon looks pretty good but you still need the ESC (and servos for my version) which puts the price and weight up way past a $2 <1g timer. But I agree that's no longer "extremely expensive" .

But I'm still happy going straight from real FF to radio assist with throttle/rudder and maybe even elevator. If you prefer an intermediate version with just throttle that's fine.

And for me the real trick to staying cheap and simple is to avoid brushless motors. Free flight is a bit old fashioned, so are brushed motors and so for that matter am I. It all works out perfectly .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:35 PM
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
Thanks for the info, Steve. I'll check it out
61rcpilot is offline Find More Posts by 61rcpilot
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
FF for beginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
For free flight the cost will be a slight bit higher because of the need for a specialty timer for the new brushless motors. You can't just switch the power on and off,

The internet has just about killed the book side of things. But some google searches or even searches within the RCG forums will get you a lot of information to get set up. And advice from us here is always free and copious....

What about starting out with some hand or elastic launched all sheet gliders? Or some simple rubber models? Often for the smaller ones we don't even bother with DT systems. For a low cost and quick build you'll get into this side of the sport and learn to trim the models at a lower cost in time and money.
I like some of the models from BMJR Models. I've built a couple R/C ones.
They also offer a timer. Are you familiar with them? Thanks for your reply
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:50 PM
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
FF Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
<looks out smugly and says>..... Gravity powered....

I know. I no sooner hit the send button and I realized I'd jumped the gun on the glider bit. But I thought I'd let it ride.

And while a pound of rubber isn't cheap I can make a LOT of motors for smaller models with a pound of the stuff. And the amount of support equipment needed is minor.

Mind you an electric free flight with a motor cutoff that only runs maybe a minute at a time means we can easily get 6 to 20 flights out of a single pack so technically I'd only need to take the model with one pack in it for a day of flying with NO ground support at all.

The wide variation in number of flights is related to the amount of power used. For a vertical climb contest like model I'd likely only get 6 to maybe 8 runs before the voltage begins to drop off too far. For mild "uphill glide" like climbs on a casual sport model with the low energy needed I'd be looking at more like 20 flights of a minute run each.

Le'see...... 8 oz model of 36'ish inch span running at around 15 watts/lb to get an "uphill glide" sort of climb. That's a whopping big 7.5 watts. With a 2S Lipo pack running 7.5'ish volts over the discharge that's 1 amp or so of power draw. So a 400mah pack would last for .4/1 x 60minutes/hr= 24 minutes of run time. So at one minute per run we're looking at a safe 16 to 20 runs.

In reality we likely would not run the motor for more than 40 seconds and then let it glide back down. So that would provide an easy two dozen flights safely even without a low voltage cutoff for the Lipo pack.

Hmmmm.... I take it back. The electric option has a lot to recommend itself. And no blown motors either.

And the old brushed motors such as the Mabuchi 280 would work great for this sort of flying.
Hey! your hurting my head with all that math. Lets face it, all you need is two packs and a charger off your car battery and you can fly all day. And lets face it,
if you fly with a club like I do, after two, 10 min flights, your down and talking
and watching other dudes doing their thing and then there having something to eat, and then a few more flights and some more talking, watching and before you know it, it's time to pack it up and go home, and reflect on what a great day of flying it was. 61rcpilot
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
But only if you consider RC to be "continuous real-time manual multi-function flight profiled free flight"

Radio assist is fine but if you're going to all that trouble of carrying a receiver and using a transmitter why not add the other controls too ? Then it's down to your own personal moral fibre. I.e. can you bear to keep your hands off those controls and let the plane fly as it should .

Plus of course not all of us fly big outdoor planes that can easily carry a receiver etc. And RC gear suitable for small indoor models is extremely expensive.

Steve
You got it all wrong Steve. I don't know where your getting your
small R/C gear from, but I've built a 24" ws, 3 ch indoor elect. for less than
$100 (US) including the plane. Check out Altitude models. And I know many guys
will holler "stinkoo", but I've had 16 transaction with Hobby King with no complaints and good stuff. Now; ordering from Hong Kong is a bummer, and an outrage with $22-30 (US) for postage. I order USA warehouse.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 01:25 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,246 Posts
The BMJR site doesn't have much of a write up on the timer and I've never seen or used one or talked with anyone that did. Hopefully someone will chime in with some info on how easy or not it is to use.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 28, 2014, 04:31 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,274 Posts
The BMJR timer is intended specifically for E36 contests with 15/10/5 sec motor runs, very different requirements from average sport flying. If you want to buy timers try BSD Micro http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?...ID=46&offset=8 who have several more suitable ones. Also Google K&P timers and Atomic Workshop Zombie timers.

BTW to me small indoor models means 10-15" span. Bigger is easier and cheaper, though $100 sounds pretty expensive. Also I'm not in the US so cheap US prices just make me jealous .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
The BMJR timer is intended specifically for E36 contests with 15/10/5 sec motor runs, very different requirements from average sport flying. If you want to buy timers try BSD Micro http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?...ID=46&offset=8 who have several more suitable ones. Also Google K&P timers and Atomic Workshop Zombie timers.

BTW to me small indoor models means 10-15" span. Bigger is easier and cheaper, though $100 sounds pretty expensive. Also I'm not in the US so cheap US prices just make me jealous .

Steve
Thanks again, Steve. That simple FF timer by bsdmicrorc may work
fine.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:02 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
470 Posts
Has anyone tried the Bidproduct Electric Free Flight controller? http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=103
I assume it is a timer for very small single cell motors but I cannot find any details on the net.
A tech savvy friend made me one for indoor use some years ago and it worked well until I burnt it out, but when I saw this I bought it along with some other gear. Any thoughts?
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Last edited by Peter Mack; May 27, 2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: error
Old May 28, 2014, 02:13 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2005
498 Posts
Time to jump in here and correct a myth: whoever said good rubber is expensive hasn't been paying attention. In the past two years, the current production rubber has exceeded the performance of the expensive batches for all purposes except top level indoor flying. Good rubber is cheap. Go get some and see.

I'm just starting into this electric thing (dabbling), and it is still pretty expensive to produce a good electric model as opposed to rubber powered systems. Yes, they're more affordable than they used to be, but I'm used to spending $5 for a decent sized airplane (30-40") and maybe $15 in rubber for the lifetime of the airframe.
jwfinn is online now Find More Posts by jwfinn