HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,229 Posts
Hi.
Yes. I sold my old Chinese bench lathe and got a Myford ML10 to replace it .
Steve. I spent an hour cleaning swarf off the lathe and floor after turning the first parts.
The workshop hoover is worth every penny!
I am still at the stage where Ihave to search for things in there till I get used to where everything is stored .
Can't wait till next weekend now .
Dunc2504
dunc2504 is offline Find More Posts by dunc2504
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc2504 View Post
Hi.
Yes. I sold my old Chinese bench lathe and got a Myford ML10 to replace it .
Steve. I spent an hour cleaning swarf off the lathe and floor after turning the first parts.
The workshop hoover is worth every penny!
I am still at the stage where Ihave to search for things in there till I get used to where everything is stored .
Can't wait till next weekend now .
Dunc2504
Agreed 100% But that really isn't my problem. My problem is tools while working. I have a very nice craftsman rolling tool box under my building table, so that I have my most needed tools at easy arms reach, but it seems as I use them, instead of putting them back in the drawer, I leave them on the table, and of course anything else that gets used in the course of what I am doing. The next thing you know, I have no room to work, and have to stop and clean....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Oct 14, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:17 PM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,229 Posts
I guess we are spoilt by having lots of tools in the first place !
Poor us !
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:43 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,197 Posts
Yeah....but we worked long and hard to get them didn't we....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,916 Posts
I use cutting oil when I machine, so everything makes a mess.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,197 Posts
I don't use cutting oil per se, but I do use WD-40 quite often, but then, 95% of the material I use is aluminum. My lathe has a back splash, but I also have a sheet of melamine behind the lathe...The mill doesn't have anything, but am cogitating on that....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:48 PM
Germany, RP, Simmern
Joined Sep 2011
33 Posts
Very nice workshop, with lot of daylight in there. Much better than the light in my little shop in the basement of our house.I can`t wait to see more progreess at your Rob Roy loco.

Cheers, Andy
steamer68 is offline Find More Posts by steamer68
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:58 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,197 Posts
I just noticed the floor mats you have Duncan....those things are a life saver!! (or at least knee savers for sure)....I never used to have any, and a while back, I was doing some jobs, that kept me at my lathe for about three days straight, and as I have bad knees (one a failed artificial knee)... I was really hurting very badly. I went to a home improvement store near my home and found one like yours (except it is kind of a brick red color), and it has made a world of difference for me. Mine is positioned where I am standing on it, when at my lathe and at my mill, so it works great!!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2013, 03:17 AM
I SEE NO SHIPS
Somerset England
Joined Feb 2007
1,229 Posts
Andy.
I planned to have large windows and good lights built in when having the shed made , as my old one was too dark (and small and leaky and cold in the winter).
I am going to bite the bullet and spend 900 on a boiler , as I am sick of chasing the small leaks on my home made one .
The works have been run on air for hours now , and are working great , so when I buy the boiler , I can get on and finish the build.
Steve.
The mats are great (we use them at work ) , but they trap swarfe very very well !
God bless the workshop Henry Hoover!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 01:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc2504 View Post
Andy.
I planned to have large windows and good lights built in when having the shed made , as my old one was too dark (and small and leaky and cold in the winter).
I am going to bite the bullet and spend 900 on a boiler , as I am sick of chasing the small leaks on my home made one .
The works have been run on air for hours now , and are working great , so when I buy the boiler , I can get on and finish the build.
Steve.
The mats are great (we use them at work ) , but they trap swarfe very very well !
God bless the workshop Henry Hoover!
Amen to that brother....amen to that!!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member