Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:39 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Build Log
8'WS PBY-5 Vintage Plans Robert Sweitzer

Well I have this posted on the war birds FORUM but I thought you guys over here
may be interested in following along w/ my PBY build also if I get a good enough respoance here I'll post as much as I do on my other 6 threads.

Well after a long debate w/ myself I thought I would start yet another build, there's not much in the way of balsa building to be done on my other two and it's been far to long since anything has been pinned to my cork building board.

So here we go again this will be the PBY-5 notice there's no A in that there will NOT be any landing gear, this will be the flying boat version but it will be a WARBIRD these planes had so many rolls during WW2 and were used by the USA, United Kingdom, Canada, Russia and the Australians to name a few.

The PBY was in production in SEPTEMBER 1936 - MAY 1945 and some are still flying in service for fire fighting.

It had three 30 cals and two 50 cals and could carry 4,000 lbs of bombs, depth charges or torpedoes and had a range of over 2,500 miles.

I will again most likely do a night fighter version ( THE BLACK CAT)
but I haven't made up my mind yet and haven't picked a squad.

All of my parts will be hand cut and put together w/ hand tools cordless drills, dremal,bench grinder, band saw, hand held belt sander will be the only power tools just like all of my builds to date.

I will also be doing some changes to the design but not very many I'll add some carbon fiber tubing through the wings and some heavier ply in the fuse, the fuse will be fiber glassed and the wings covered w/ fabric maybe solartex but I may go old school w/ silk & dope?

I would like to thank my friend Steve for scanning and enlarging the plans for me
The plane will have an 8' WS & 5' FUSE

Here are the plans hanging up in my building room.
This is the site you can get some Vintage plans from.

http://www.vintagercplans.com/order.htm

Well now I have to just start making my parts.
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Alright I finished all of the balsa FORMERS gussets w/ the cut outs for the stringes
there are a few small parts I will be able to make in the morning and get my paper templates ready so when the ply gets here I can rock & roll but if it's not here I'll start the parts For the FIN - RUDDER and test fit stringers.

Bruce
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:54 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Well the work on the Catalina continues today I worked on the smaller FORMER parts and realized F-2 doesn't need to be 1/8" ply because I'm not putting a nose wheel up there.

But it is the cockpit area and will be open on top so to keep it strong I made up some more home made ply 3/32" balsa core w/ 1/16" ply on one side and 1/16 hard balsa
on the other side w/ the grain running the other direction of the cores.

The photos show more than I can say, so check the progress and just ask any questions you may have.

Bruce
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:04 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Well I stayed up late last night and my self made balsa ply had dried so I lay up
F2, F2A, H1,H2,H3, F6 AND F16 to be cut and cut them out.

That ply I made is very strong and supper light this part could have just been balsa
because there's no landing gear to mount at the bottom this is the only reason I can see
that Robert was calling for 1/8" ply here.

But this is the cockpit area and it's not going to have any thing except the canopy at the top and it a large open area, this is why I
added the one sheet of 1/16" thick ply.

Also if you look at the design and how I made my mods there's not much where the
stringers pass through If this were just balsa it would most likely fail at this point.

Today I'll work on the FIN & Rudder and all other AFT end parts,
check the photos for my progress.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:04 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Well the plywood arrived 2:00 pm this afternoon but be for It did I cleared off the building table and put both of my cork building boards together after finishing drilling the rest of the parts and sanding them.

So once I had the ply I had to figure out the best way to lay my templates out to give the best yield and then spray them w/ LOCTITE spray adhesive, this something new I trying they make two kinds this one for general performance normely I use 3M SPRAY 77 but this was $5 and the 77 was $10 I'll take have price any day.
then I cut out the rest of my parts and broke for dinner and to post, I'm going to get back to it this evening and try to dry fit all of the formers and get a good look at what I have going on. check the progress photos.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:43 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Well I kept on working on the formers until they were finished then started to run the stringers through the 1/4" sq holes the bottom two are balsa and run all the down the FUSE.
For the top I cut out spruce for the aft end and basswood for the front there's still a bunch of tweeking, squaring, and with the whole set up.

that's it for the night (morning)

Bruce
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:56 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,908 Posts
Going to be a lovely model Bruce.

Brings back memories of my Cat, she was smaller at around 5ft span and based on a plan for a control line model.
I fitted RC gear and electric motors, (anyone remember ACOMS models?, I used two of their motors, gearboxes, and plastic props), and nicads for power, but it worked.
She flew great from a hand launch, and flew of water, (eventually), for the first time back in 1991. It taught me quite a bit about water handling and actually getting off water.

Good luck with the project, there is just something about 'naked' balsa, almost a shame to hide under sheeting.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:14 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,473 Posts
Another PBY. I've built a couple. I like the pre-war color schemes.
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:34 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Thanks for joining in guys..parkcityskier nice plane
eflightray.. this one will be glow engines I want to stay w/ about .45 two strokes
so I won't have to cut my cowlings I know I will here that's not enough engine for an 8'
WS but I going to make her as light as possible there will be NO LANDING GEAR on this model. if I have to I will go up to 60's

Alright guys I was able to get some work done first I cut NEW stringers out of spruce
so while I was at it I also cut the stringers for the wings.

I bought a 6" piece and ripped them out this time I made the ones for the fuse slightly
under sized if you have ever put one of these together you know why, it's very hard to push the stringers through w/ out moving everything else at the same time.

So I did two things sanded them very smooth and cut pieces of foam the correct size
as shown on the plans to space the formers while pushing the stringers into position.

What I'm having troubles w/ is that the top is suppose to be a straight line from the cockpit to just be for the tail as shown on the drawing.

I have lifted the FUSE w/ some foam over the drawings and have the ribs over there correct place and it's close but you will see in the photos there's a 1/8" or so the bottom hull all lines up?
To check this even farther I will make the hatch above the cockpit to check the front as well, So have a look and I would love to hear from anybody that's put one of these together or has and intelligent idea about this.

Bruce
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:03 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,473 Posts
I just finished a large Solent seaplane and when you build these planes this big small errors are bound to creep in, as they did for me, unless you are using a rigid jig arrangement. Without a jig, the best that you can do is get it as true as you can (your foam blocks look like they would help) and then, if you have to, shim up the formers with balsa strips until everything is true. The finished fuselage will only be as true as the underlying structure. The next time that I build a big one I'm going to try to use a jig, even though it's a lot more trouble. Looking forward to your progress.

Jim
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:36 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Nice job Splinterz25! I'll hang out and watch your progress too. What are you going to power it with? I build some too but ARF's make things easier sometimes. Here's a photo of my Electrifly PBY. It's box stock except for the custom paint on the fuse. I set it up with counter-rotating propellers, I highly recomend that setup for electric twins. I have an Electrifly Widgeon still in the box, It also will have counter-rotating props. I'll have it ready to fly for this summer.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
Someone is going to get wet...
The Mitt
Joined Oct 2007
989 Posts
Nice build!!!

Splinterz25... Great job on the build! I am building a 80" wingspan one but mostly from foam. It presents some challenges sometimes... Mudman1959
mudman1959 is offline Find More Posts by mudman1959
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The "Bloody Wonder"
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:45 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,161 Posts
Thanks guys welcome on board this will be glow engines and I want to keep the plane as light as I can and go w/ .46 two strokes so I don't have to cut the cowlings but may have to jump to .60's.
There will be NO landing gear and I'm lightning it every chance I get.

Bruce
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:29 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,908 Posts
If my 90" span Sunderland can take off from grass, water, and fly really well on 600 watts, (85 watts/Lb), then I'm sure a couple of 46's will be fine. For a start you wont be carrying 22oz of battery, unless you use some pretty heavy glow fuel.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray