HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:08 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2011
144 Posts
Discussion
Old electric brushed motor found

OK... i know this will be a long shot, but i though i would ask just for the hell of it.

I found 2 old electric rc motors from an RC car I had probably over 15 years ago. Neither of them really have any markings identifying them except one of them indicates its a 12 turn motor. I connected 6 volts as a test directly from a battery to each of the motors to see if they even still run and they start spinning just fine.

So my question is this... is there any way to determine what type of motor driver (or brushed esc) i could use for these motors? I have a dc motor controller i use on one of my 6wd off road robots that can produce up to 15amps max on 2 motors (its a wild thumper motor controller (arduino based)).

I didnt want to hookup anything to these under a load without knowing their current draw but dont really know where to start.

Thanks in advance.
Marko
serbcccc3 is offline Find More Posts by serbcccc3
Last edited by serbcccc3; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:29 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,148 Posts
Usually a 12 turn motor will draw more than 15 amps. Unless this speed controller has built in protection against overheating or excess current draw, I doubt it will survive running this motor in a car.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:33 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,796 Posts
Current draw will depend on the load on the motor, which will depend on the gearing, weight of the vehicle, etc.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Jun 2009
15 Posts
12 turns was medium motors, not the hottest but anyway stall amperage will be easily over 10 amps, and working without any load it would be around 3 to 4 amps if not advance in endbell has been done. If some advance has put via turining endbell or under load, this can go without any problem in the area of 6 to 10 amps. So the only way to safely run this motors is with an appropiate rc esc

cheers.
JUANJOARCHILLA is offline Find More Posts by JUANJOARCHILLA