HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Had a lot of fune today. Bring on Comic-Con.

Unhappily, Sinewavz caught some bad food and had to wave off this am. Dennis LaBerge used his DJI to capture the aerial video and Ed Hanley the ground video.

As I was pulling this out of the car, a random car stopped and a couple jumped out to have a picture with the Tardis. After the picture, they were getting ready to leave and I mentioned I would be flying it shortly. Their jaws dropped.... priceless.

Bring on Rotors Over Miramar and Comic-Con.

Flying Doctor Who Tardis (RC) by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 5 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:04 AM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2013
191 Posts
That's awesome! Hope to see that flying around comic con when I go
DDSFlyer is offline Find More Posts by DDSFlyer
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDSFlyer View Post
That's awesome! Hope to see that flying around comic con when I go
Right now working on schedule and locations to fly. Last year flew Superman from the Embarcadero which is a little bit of a walk. This flies so tight and hovers so well anyplace can be done safely with attention to crowd control. Will let you know the schedule and locations when I finalize it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Hi all,

Several of you have inquired about my flying plans and wanted to have an opportunity to see my strange flying vehicles perform in person.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I'll be flying the Monster Can, Tardis and Quad Rocket at Miramar Sat 8 to 10. This is the Rotors Over Miramar event which is a fun fly that attracts the best Heli pilots in the region. The event goes all day. It's free for spectators. Here are the directions. If the gate is locked, code should be 7777 but I think it should be open for the event.

http://miramarrcflyers.com/site-directions/

Over the Line on Sunday: The SEFSD club flies the opening ceremonies at 0700 with the Flag and Ms. Emerson. So if you are there come by and say hi.

Comic-Con July 23-27: Will be flying the Tardis and possibly Superman. I'll post times when it is firmed up. Superman can only be flown from the Embarcadero over the water. The Tardis can low hover almost anywhere so there will be different locations.

Best, Otto
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Thanx for coming out

Rotors Over Miramar

Monster Can and Tardis at Rotors Over Miramar by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 21 sec)

Burned a winding on one of the new Tardis motors during the first flight. Was able to get her down with minor paint damage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Star Wars meets Doctor Who

I was out practicing for Comic-Con next week and R2-D2 appeared. Turns out a neighbor is as into robots as I am into planes, err..... boxes.

R2-D2 meets the flying Doctor Who Tardis before Comic-Con by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Comic-Con TARDIS hover schedule

The attached graphic has the location and schedule. If you're in the area, stop by.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Comic-Con: What a blast

I've had a great couple days flying/hovering the TARDIS at Comic-Con. Yesterday did 6 short flights in the afternoon in 10-15 mph wind. Attracted a lot of Doctor Who fans and some of their video should appear on youtube.

Today, did a local TV interview with KUSI and then an interview with British ITV for Good Morning Britain. It was a blast and the weather was perfect. The host, Ross, pretended to climb into the TARDIS and fly off. I did a short flight with vertical takeoff, short hover, 2 low circles over the water and then an unassisted vertical landing.

They promised to send me a link to the interview and I'll post it when and if I get it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Good Morning Britain

After building up the GMB interview they only used 30 seconds of the 15 minutes of video shot. That's show business. Comic-Con overall was a big success. The KK with Steveis FW performed flawlessly. Did 6 flights at the SD Convention Center and the one here shot at the Embarcadero. With no exposed props and the ability to hover, it really opens up the places you can fly safely. I flew the TARDIS at a Doctor Who comic book signing event and it also served as a great photo prop.

Flying TARDIS Good Morning Britain Interview at Comic-Con 2014 (0 min 36 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:00 PM
Firmware Fiend
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2013
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
After building up the GMB interview they only used 30 seconds of the 15 minutes of video shot. That's show business. Comic-Con overall was a big success. The KK with Steveis FW performed flawlessly. Did 6 flights at the SD Convention Center and the one here shot at the Embarcadero. With no exposed props and the ability to hover, it really opens up the places you can fly safely. I flew the TARDIS at a Doctor Who comic book signing event and it also served as a great photo prop.

http://youtu.be/pZYfCMmVfe4
LoL, short clip, but that's still awesome that you got on the news. Hopefully it'll help people understand that we're not a bunch of rogue geekoids looking to "spy" on everybody with our diabolical machines.

That's a cool pic in front of Comickaze--I remember when Robert first went into business--me and a buddy of mine helped him set up his first shop on Balboa Ave. when it occcupied the corner of what is now an expanded Vons.
The Quasar is online now Find More Posts by The Quasar
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D Printing with the ROBO 3D R1
Old Jul 27, 2014, 04:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar View Post
LoL, short clip, but that's still awesome that you got on the news. Hopefully it'll help people understand that we're not a bunch of rogue geekoids looking to "spy" on everybody with our diabolical machines.

That's a cool pic in front of Comickaze--I remember when Robert first went into business--me and a buddy of mine helped him set up his first shop on Balboa Ave. when it occcupied the corner of what is now an expanded Vons.
Small world! Robert really appreciated the contribution.
RCG Plus Member