HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Discussion
Slope flying in Se Arizona?

Well guys I've made good on my "threat" to move to S.E. Arizona and now I'm looking for some slope sites that are in the Sierra Vista, Bisbee areas and some new flying buds to go with them. Anyone have any info on some sites they are willing to share with a new comer to the area?

I will be buying in the area and will have enough land for thermal flying once I get everything set up and I will be exploring routes for a XC route as well. (Can ya tell I like all kinds of soaring here?)
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,688 Posts
There are some slope's that I've heard about in Sierra Vista. I live in Tucson and slope off "A" mountain. check Tucson "A" mountain photo here on the slope forum for photo's and commentary. Labor Day some of us will be going up to Green's Peak near Show Low Az. 10'000 asl and about 1,000agl and all grass. There's a video of flying off GP on SlopeAerobatics.com.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Thanks Prodjx. I've been checking out the pics already and have been studying "A" mountain with Google Earth as well as I can. From what I can see with GE the south side of the mountain looks like Tucsons' answer to Torrey Pines in San Diego.

GE has also shown me some good looking slopes in the S.V. area but I'm wondering about access ect. It will take a lot less time if a local could show me the sites. Might also save me from getting me arse charged with trespassing if you know what I mean
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,688 Posts
You may want to check with the Southern Arizona Hanggliding group as I've heard them talk of place's they fly from down in SV. The south face can be very good but the north face is the most favored for several reason's. The best one is retrieveability being the best one, you can get to your model quickly if you land it close to easy access. Your not looking into the sun. It's not quite as steep as the south face and there fore a little safer if you land near where you launch from.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Well we took a little road trip and checked out "A" mountain on our way up to Phoenix and beyond. I just wish it was a little closer to the homestead.

While on the road trip I saw a lot of great flyable spots for both thermal and slope. Best looking spots were just East of Winslow on the way to Albaturkey. Made the run back home at night so I couldn't see the areas along I-25.

The current leader in my search for a new place to buy is a 20 acre spread in Mc Neal. Land is nice and flat and it has a well placed 3bed 2 bath (1440 sq/ft) double wide on it. (on east side of lot instead of being smack dab in the middle!!) Lot size is aprox 1350' X 650' with the larger length running east/west. It will take some work if I end up getting it but that's no problem. Shop will have to be built up but the land is almost totally cleared already. Lots of vacant lots surrounding me so I shouldn't have any problems over flying the neighbors if needed. Plan on building a landing strip for aero-towing in time.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,688 Posts
If there's anything I can do to help let me know, if you get it.
RCG Plus Member