Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:27 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Discussion
UMX Mig-15 DF Mod Thread

Here are my initial mods to the Mig:

Clear gloss coat (5 coats) applied across the entire belly of the fuse and also the top and bottom of the leading edges of the wings to protect the white foam from staining on grass landings. It will still get dirty but can now be cleaned down.

I mounted clear servo covers on the aileron servo's. I just didn't like them being so exposed on belly landings and feared debris getting into them. I found a suitably sized bubble packaging (this one had an adapter lead in it) and used each end of it cut to size. I skimmed some CA around the entire perimeter of the lipo compartment to stop the foam getting damaged as it was showing these signs already from only a few lipo cycles.

The other thing I am in the process of doing is printing off a 3D battery compartment which will then give me the strong edge I'd like to have and close it up as well. This will slide directly into the lipo area and has been designed to the shape of the Mig. The wall thickness is 0.5mm. I haven't worked out how to lock down the lid yet. I'm trying to do it so larger fingers can have no problems. Suggestions are welcome!

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:16 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,511 Posts
How did you get yours already?
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:35 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
It's a sample model for review from Model Flight
E-Flite UMX Mig 15 DF maiden flight! (8 min 45 sec)
Last edited by NitroCharged; Jun 09, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:04 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Looks great! Flies like it's on rails.

I've had mine on pre-order for months. A little sorry I didn't pick up the Sabre when I had the chance. I was at the WRAM show and bought more goodies than I could carry, but now realized what a pair they would make.

Thanks for the video.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:03 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,433 Posts
awesome vid NC !!
KCinNC is online now Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:10 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Thanks guys.

I've been working on a hop-up power unit for the Mig, a high kV 12mm inrunner and 3 blade impeller:

Unfortunately, I just blew the second shaft up!

The reason is, the rpm's are so high(+100k), a tiny bit of imbalance as I near WOT instantly causes disaster. Since I am dynamically balancing, it's just part of the process that I accept.

I've just installed another shaft, this time, I've gone for a solid 2mm high tensile steel shaft from top to bottom and have drilled out the impeller to 2mm. Let's see what happens this time.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,258 Posts
Good stuff Nitro

How would you compare against GP F86?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:45 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
Razor, I'll rate them side by side in the showdown we have planned next time out. I wanted to get a few flights in to get a good judgement of the Mig first (which I did this morning - had quite a few lights on it).
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,511 Posts
I so want a Mig!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Sub'd, congrats on the review opportunity. Model Flight couldnt have picked someone better for micro edf!

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:08 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,258 Posts
Nitro

sounds good, keep us posted

thanks
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:13 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
The Mig needs more vertical poke. I'm going to test the stock unit on 3S on the bench and see how it goes.

Also, the new shaft took care of my balance problems. She's running real sweet now.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:07 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,191 Posts
I'm pretty impressed with how close to the original unit my 3D version got - only 1.5mm longer in the case and the mounting stubs are in exactly the right spot and the right size!

I have just finished balancing mine so I will do comparative thrust tests on 2S next. It will need a minimum 325mah 2S G6 TP to run it.

Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:36 PM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Here are my initial mods to the Mig:

Clear gloss coat (5 coats) applied across the entire belly of the fuse and also the top and bottom of the leading edges of the wings to protect the white foam from staining on grass landings. It will still get dirty but can now be cleaned down.

I mounted clear servo covers on the aileron servo's. I just didn't like them being so exposed on belly landings and feared debris getting into them. I found a suitably sized bubble packaging (this one had an adapter lead in it) and used each end of it cut to size. I skimmed some CA around the entire perimeter of the lipo compartment to stop the foam getting damaged as it was showing these signs already from only a few lipo cycles.

The other thing I am in the process of doing is printing off a 3D battery compartment which will then give me the strong edge I'd like to have and close it up as well. This will slide directly into the lipo area and has been designed to the shape of the Mig. The wall thickness is 0.5mm. I haven't worked out how to lock down the lid yet. I'm trying to do it so larger fingers can have no problems. Suggestions are welcome!

Micro rare earth magnet. and for those big fingers how about just a small indentation in the lid to easily pick the lid up, don't forget a Velcro strap to hold the battery in. Like your idea of the clear coating and also the servo covers they should have thought of that like they did the UMX Stryker. Wonder if those covers would work and their red but can be repainted. Hope they're going to have no issues like the CC did. Been waitng for this along time and also look forward to the Spitfire and glider too.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,058 Posts
Eflite UMX Mig-15 second flight (14 min 39 sec)
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub