HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:17 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,462 Posts
Discussion
What kind of Range do you FPV RC Car guys get?

I was thinking that it would be fun to buy a cheap electric RC car and put my FPV gear on it but I was wondering the range you get.

I have a Futaba 9cap TX with a long range RX but I want to drive around neighborhoods while sitting in my backyard. How good does the signal go through houses? I only have experience with planes where they are always in LOS. I have seen videos on youtube where the guy is cruising a few blocks away through back alleys and stuff.

The only RC car experience I have was with a nitro car and when I lost signal the car shot off like a dart straight into a wall. I would hate to loose signal and damage someones property.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:23 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Set your failsafe to zero throttle. And for range, Walk for a range check with a cell phone while somebody at home watches the car.
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jan 09, 2011, 11:59 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Your antennas need to be LOS. Anything thick between them will give you poor reception..fast. If you can mount the VID RX on your roof, your reception will improve. I tried it with a few houses between and reception was almost non existent. The controls worked 100% of the time, though.
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,462 Posts
Thanks, think I will stick to planes.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
look at my blog

and then go to vimeo

to see my car tests

if you have a problem with cars you will have a problem with planes

cars are a great ground breaker to be a better fpv pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Thanks, think I will stick to planes.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:02 AM
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
Set your failsafe to zero throttle. And for range, Walk for a range check with a cell phone while somebody at home watches the car.
on nitro cars I set the failsafe to full brake...
rcall is offline Find More Posts by rcall
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
ur lucky day

Cool to see this thread. I posted the same thing a year ago and found Wobbys videos on youtube as well as the ones above where you range tested on that dirt road nice job Dav!
but in some cases youtube videos are captured by video recorders on the vehicles (not actual FPV transmission) and what you see isn't necessarily what goes through the goggles. in reality you are still controlling the vehicle and keeping the vehicle in range of the video reception, but there are range challenges when going behind obstacles these polished vids don't show... I could tell Davids was the real capture how many mw is that transmitter for video?!

of all the gear available,
I think you can't currently beat a 900mhz setup on diveristy receivers. thats tops, second best is 900mhz vid standard receiver when talking non line of sight, circle the block expectations. Patch antennas for ground use don't necessarily do better low to the ground like they do in airplane FPV use. Mine can get a two block circle with heavy interference when the antenna is on my house 10ft aiming down. THe transmitter at 72 mhz never limits me, I have a JR 4 channel with the new crystal free receiver. the few times I took it really far it just stops, no runaways because I have the mamba monster esc with built in prevention/signal loss

the antenna for car control/72mhz is held high with a plastic control rod tube meant for rc airplane deflector suface control!! Nathan at the Rc shop suggested that it was brilliant. When I roll, it rebounds and holds the antenna straight up for mad range upon righting. looks like a jumbo rc antenna.

I have seen you want the antennas off the car as much as possible for best NLOS video range. For my pro FPV setup, I have a steel fishing rod half polished up and working as a video antenna on the rear bumper. I bought something called a range extender 5 db 900mhz antenna from l-com.com a sick sick antenna store they are great. This is the strongest non line of sight video I think thats currently available, UHF is coming soon, it will be better!

NLOS driving in nature is really sick, I can't tell you how amazing it is to send your vehicle up a jeep path to the top of a mountain, look around back at yourself as a little dot, then come back down flyin'

72 mhz are usually xmitted at 750-800mw and can bend around corners, its your only hope of neighborhood traversing which has taken me 12 mos and hundreds of $$ to get to a full block or two.

From inside my house, I can go down the other side of my block and back up the alley to my house with a 72 mhz transmitter and the video receiver outside. On a mountain side where l.o.s is preserved as you go higher, probably a quarter mile. you could not do this with any 2.4 setup its too high of freq

real fpv at ground level use will have break ups in your visual system due to terrain. I believe you have to use UHF to beat what the current best 900mhz and 1.3/5.8/2.4 ghz video trans setups will do.

an rc crawler, if you can stand the speed, is nice because it doesn't roll when its half a mile from you and you have to run to get it

I settled on an emaxx with jumbo kong tires lol its just sick for FPV. I have two 6400mah 3 cell lipos, hour run time on brushless power. now a log won't high center me on a 25 minute recovery hike...most people hate jumbo kongs however I don't.
Its also night vision.

high powered led bike headlights are stacked in the body recesses, I do the mountain trails at night with flashing lights to help locate if I roll and have to go recover in the darkess. The best fun is exploring the lakeside at night for raccoons from inside the house on the plasma tv, that stuff is endless entertainment.

if you buy a $99.00 entry level fpv setup from hobbytron.com, a 10mw 2.4 ghz security camera essentially, you get half a block range and never behind houses, only 900mhz can do that. you can tape a flashlight to it and run it at night, cats will freak out but you will want more and will get sucked in, thats why Im listing what I wish someone would have told me

You will get to a point onboard your vehicle where stray interference from the brushless setup and raw power of the video and batteries affects your video reception and maybe even your handheld transmitter reception. For this you have to look into wiring on opposite sides of the chassis video signal cables vs power cables, and things called toroid wraps from electrical supply houses to wrap your servo cords. I have $50 in toroids on my setup. the only thing I could do better is buy a diversity receiver setup but I'll just wait out UHF it will be very non line of sight powerful.

the antenna for the video receiver is best setup on a long extension like is shown in the pics. Down low off the vehicle and the range is terrible. Any flexible whip or pole like a fiberglass pole will work. I chose something that lets me go into bushes and just forces itself through, a fishing pole half.

For bad wrecks, its held on with zip ties that just break and I repair in the field. Most of the video system is just mounted with zip ties to be weak links in a crash. lastly, you will want the camera on a side pan servo, its no fun not being able to look side to side.
almost forgot, you want side rear view mirrors for reasons Im too embarrased to discuss.

Just get them, mount them to your front hood here are mine

they are stick-on rear view wide angle mirrors from autozone, but are scaled perfectly to an e maxx's size:
branflakes is online now Find More Posts by branflakes
Last edited by branflakes; Jan 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,462 Posts
Wow loads of good info there, thanks for your detailed post.

That's a sick looking vehicle you got there. You weren't kidding you've got tons of lighting on that thing.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
hey thanks for checking it out. as technology improves and range increases, they've got us primed for a lifetime addiction lol

this weekend some good vids coming...Im going out to some trails off the lake it will show the non line of sight really well. turns out the pole makes a nice anti roll device as well, its sturdy, a saltwater pole end, so if the truck tips up on a steep incline the pole lands flat and keeps it from rolling back...I can hit reverse w a hard turn and right the truck pretty easy that was a neat turn out for such a bulky pole. Wish I didn't need it, but raised off the truck cant be beat. this puppy at 60mph is silly fast lol through the goggles its 600 mph scale lol and about that hard to control
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,462 Posts
Hahaha 600 mph scale, that is awesome.

The fishing pole idea is great, I am a fisherman here in Florida so I have tons of extra Rods laying around.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
vid

----updating
Last edited by branflakes; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:33 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,177 Posts
Boy, this could really boost the "Neighborhood Watch" group !
Run around at night looking for bad guys....with a tazer onboard of course !
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:37 PM
Just dog tired.
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2010
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
well here it is, there aren't any on youtube weaving around the neighborhood this far Id bet...post up if so!

turn your pc speakers way down onboard brushless+tough gear mesh=loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woeeb4lCmIY

Uuurgh... I think I'm going to be nauseous after watching that one.

How can you STEER properly with that thing? I mean, it's ALL bouncing and vibrating all over the place... Bleah. No thanks, Air FPV for me. Or a "steady cam" mount.
Wearyman is offline Find More Posts by Wearyman
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
seriously I think about that alot. If you sent a guy running through the neighborhood, even if it was OJ I could run him down and shoot out a rope net

lol

with jumbo kongs I can go out in the country and park half a mile away and explore old abandoned properties and country houses, inside them sometimes. it doesn't high center. had to order strong steering servos today to even handle those tires...that will really help.

the vid is shaky because of cam quality, its on board recording but signal to my goggles is steady. Will use a new cam for a better test round tonite for night view hope it shows up as good as i see it.

maybe I will just film the TV from inside the house and show what I see as I drive it.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
the only point is to demonstrate non line of sight control. you'll see tonite its stable just need a new recording angle, the 50inch plasma ought to do...