HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:37 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendrix View Post
One thing with the Vizio. Don't let your voltage drop too low. I was flying today and the 1st flight was uneventful, but about 1/2 way through the 2nd flight, my monitor went black. At first I thought my transmitter had failed, but then I realized I could still hear the plane. I then thought maybe my camera had come unplugged. And after I landed (I still had to fly around for a while the old fashion way), I check all the connections and everything seemed fine. I then tried to bring the menu on the monitor and couldn't see anything. I looked real close at the monitor, and I could barely see an image. I thought my back light or inverted had gone bad. After I got home, I figured out it that the back lights had gone out due to low voltage, when I put it on the A/C adapter, it worked fine. (at this time I already had my battery on the charger, so I don't know at what voltage it goes out). I plan on putting some type of voltage monitor in my ground station so I don't get surprised again.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll test it before I'd ever use it for FPV. I bought it for my shop, don't know if I'll ever use it for FPV or not... probably have to try it some day.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:43 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I'm practicing up for Chilliwack.

I've also been warned not to order "Canadian Bacon" pizza!
Why not !?! Sounds delicious ! Everything here is better Except we have Stephen Harper and you have Obama...
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Why not !?! Sounds delicious ! Everything here is better Except we have Stephen Harper and you have Obama...
He's out west CG, where that last sentiment is reversed

And, it's "eh" out here - funny, when I used to live a few km's from the border I went stateside a few times a week to gas up, and was amazed at how different people talked, even that short distance. Used to like going to a nice little town called Lyndon, had a real good Mexican restaurant there. I remember the first time I went and the waitress said "you're from Canada huhhh" (the American equivilent to "eh") as soon as she heard me talk
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; Mar 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:19 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,190 Posts
[QUOTE=Glenstr;17669101]He's out west CG, where that last sentiment is reversed

You mean someone can like Stephen harper ?

For the "eh", sorry I didn't remember how to spell it although I had seen it written before. Since I'm french speaking I don't use that often It also explain the S. H. thing I guess
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,190 Posts
Lost the AXN

I went to fly FPV today at a new spot. Lots of wind, but I figured the plane flew right yesterday...I was flying at a school parking that gives a nice view of one part of the town.

I lauched the plane and flew it LOS a couple of circuits, than flew FPV with the monitor. I was flying high, and suddenly the video link went down never came back. Couldn't see the plane although it wasn't far, or hear it...Lost it and the wind took it over the town somewhere

I shut the radio off so it would go failsafe (strait, no motor)before hitting ground. Hope it didn't damge anything. Called the local police to report the incident. Should have checked the video link there on a calmer day before flying fpv

Bad day
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:09 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Sorry to hear that carguy....

Geez... don't check the thread in a couple days and it passes 100 pages and Art's bought more stuff... doh...
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Flytron video switcher

My video switcher came yesterday. I wanted it for switching between the two cameras I have on the plane.

Video switcher works fine when viewing on my Haier 7" video T.V. However, when I try to record the operation, my Aiptek camera sees the switching as a loss of signal, and shuts down. I will need something else to record the video flights if I'm using the switcher.

Art - what do you recommend?

Flytron TVS-2 video switcher (0 min 10 sec)
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:16 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike8 View Post
Sorry to hear that carguy....

Geez... don't check the thread in a couple days and it passes 100 pages and Art's bought more stuff... doh...
He's not the only one who has to buy more stuff...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:35 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
He's not the only one who has to buy more stuff...
c'est dommage! I hope you get it back, any idea where to look? I was just putting some homemade decals on my new plane and I am thinking I am going to make some up with my contact info and put them on it as well.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,008 Posts
This is a delicate matter...In this day and age with all the people around wanting to sue each other I wonder if this is not an open invitation for trouble...

I was in the committee of our club when we got a report of a plane flying away, It was a gas plane then.
Someone walked in the local model shop which contacted us.This guy demanded a meeting with us (the committee) so we went to his house cap in hand and fully apologetic.
The plane fell near him so he felt his life was in danger, and because of that wanted some redress, he would not return the plane and he went to the authorities.

Thankfully the cops thought that the guy was wasting police time. Wanting to press charges for what a toy aeroplane was about to do to him was a something to be laughed at.
The police ended up threatening the guy by charging him for theft if he did not return the plane.

All in all It was a really unpleasant episode...

I am all for being responsible and dealing with reasonable people. normally an apology and some damage compensation (broken window or dented car) should take care of the worst problems and that would be that, but if the thing goes to court...then your livelihood is at stake
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,764 Posts
Quote:
I went to fly FPV today at a new spot. Lots of wind, but I figured the plane flew right yesterday...I was flying at a school parking that gives a nice view of one part of the town.

I lauched the plane and flew it LOS a couple of circuits, than flew FPV with the monitor. I was flying high, and suddenly the video link went down never came back. Couldn't see the plane although it wasn't far, or hear it...Lost it and the wind took it over the town somewhere

I shut the radio off so it would go failsafe (strait, no motor)before hitting ground. Hope it didn't damge anything. Called the local police to report the incident. Should have checked the video link there on a calmer day before flying fpv

Bad day
Very sorry to hear it, bad day for sure. I was looking forward to more video. Any idea why the video stopped? Sure hope someone finds it and turns it over to the authorities.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
My video switcher came yesterday. I wanted it for switching between the two cameras I have on the plane.

Video switcher works fine when viewing on my Haier 7" video T.V. However, when I try to record the operation, my Aiptek camera sees the switching as a loss of signal, and shuts down. I will need something else to record the video flights if I'm using the switcher.

Art - what do you recommend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8McprwBzW0
I guess that doesn't surprise me, the Aiptek can be a little glitchy when it loses a good signal. My camcorder seems to record through just about anything, we could give it a try. If it works well we could start looking for a good deal on ebay. If you had a helper you could stop recording before you switch, then restart the video once the video signal is good again? I have an easycap you could play with if you want?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Very sorry to hear it, bad day for sure. I was looking forward to more video. Any idea why the video stopped? Sure hope someone finds it and turns it over to the authorities.
No idea really. Didn't change a thing on the plane. Loose connector ? VTx defective ? Battery was fully charged...I hope to get it back, but I sure hope it didn't do any damage or hurt someone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:07 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,190 Posts
Looking to order a new VTx and camera. Unfortunatly RMRc and NGHobbies are out of 500 mw 900 Mhz tx. I think I am going to order a 200 Mw for the Stryker. It will be lighter and smaller and place is at a premium on a stryker.

Any idea about range Art ? How far did you go with your 200 Mw ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:10 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,764 Posts
Quote:
No idea really. Didn't change a thing on the plane. Loose connector ? VTx defective ? Battery was fully charged...I hope to get it back, but I sure hope it didn't do any damage or hurt someone.
That is the most important thing. Have you gone looking for it? I suppose a white plane with all the snow would make it very difficult. Chances are it didn't do any harm, Probably in someones back yard or on there roof. Best of luck!