HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:33 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Discussion
3m Sailplane ala Supra but electrified

I know it's kind of a silly question, but i'm not too sure if i can make the wing core from multi lamination of depron ? I'm planning to make a 3m wing with depron core, and laminate with glass and carbon ..... i do not want to have a strong good performance but i want it to be light ... below 1kg AUW if possible and power with a small motor and glide. Very less people know about tow or bungee launch in my area

And ideas anyone?
lamafever is offline Find More Posts by lamafever
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:41 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
3m for less than 1kg?
Good luck!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:44 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,870 Posts
If you want a lightweight 3m plane consider an electrified the Bubbler Dancer. You can simplify the spar for electric power, and built it from foam if you want - there is a thread in the Thermal section.

I am not sure about laminating Depron. It may work out but you probably should make a test piece first, to check the airfoil accuracy, weight, and strength.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:45 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
3m bubble-dancer will be AVA-like. Mine comes in at 3lbs.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:36 AM
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Hmmm bubble dancer ey? 3lbs sounds reasonable

By the way how's the power calculation anyway? I have a motor which can spin a 12x6 prop. will it be sufficient to fly ?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
1,999 Posts
hi there from Toledo

hey lama

It all comes down to watts/lb; the more, the merrier. I like 100 W/# but that's just me. That turns out to be about 40 amp draw from a 3s lipo in a 4lb plane. With this set up a 70 to 80 degree up angle is easy. Less power per pound yields acceptable climb but that is your choice. I prefer winch like launches without the winch.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Last edited by ray foley; Apr 16, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamafever View Post
By the way how's the power calculation anyway? I have a motor which can spin a 12x6 prop. will it be sufficient to fly ?
No you would need to put it in a plane to fly

Seriously though, .... that is impossible to answer. What motor? What Kv? What size? Is it geared? What amps would it be drawing and what is the series of the battery being used? So many variables
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2007
358 Posts
Well i'm planning to build one but not really as precise or strong as the f3j competition serious specs. I just want to learn on building a composite glider with the material i can find in my country. It's a lil bit hard getting those stuffs here

Anyway .... i do not have any motor selection yet ... but i'm making a fuse which can cater to fit in a 35mm motor
I am planning to use one of those Turnigy motor from Hobbyking but i need some info on how do i calculate those power needed for the plane .... what's the power to weight ratio needed and for a 3m, what prop is the best to use ?

Here's what i've managed to do so far .... still long way to go