3,433 Posts
yeah , the Squall canopy is kinda sketchy
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:49 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,379 Posts
Guardian gyro in 2D mode has made 5s Squall hand launches relatively worry free. My friend torque rolled tossed it but the gyro forced it back upright in 2 second without any input from me.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:04 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Got a hold of a Squall, built in under four hours , maidened with a 2350 4 cell. Awesome.

I glossed over the 5000 + post but am going to ask any way. I have a 4500 4 cell , how much extra weight can she handle ? And How do you slow this thing down for landings ? I have got as low as I care to dare at no power and she till slips thru the air forever . I chop power before I even turn final, and then can hardly see it for being so far out. Floats like a kite. Then the big ole scoop cathes even the smallest blades of grass.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:30 AM
Flying with a "higher power"
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Dec 2004
411 Posts
Landing the Squall

The Squall has many excellent flying features but easy landing is not one of them. Practice a lot of harriers on you next flight. You need to come in to the wind and in a harrier position just a foot or two off of the ground and then just cut the throttle and belly flop in higher grass if possible. I have glassed the bottom of my Squall to give it some robustness.

Good luck
rarner is offline Find More Posts by rarner
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:26 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,634 Posts
Hi guys,

New to this thread. A guy at our club gave me his squall after several failed launch attempts. Nose was broken and he was ready to throw it in the bin. When he hand launched, it fluttered almost vertical, did a back flip and straight in from about 8ft agl. Saw him do this 3 times.

Tail heavy ?

I have the Phase 3 F-16 and that one is probably the easiest edf to fly in my squadron. He also doesn't have much of an esc in there. 30 amps. Clearly not enough for 4S. So, I'll drop a 60 amp in there for starters.

I see the recommended cg is 60mm or right about at the rear of the canopy. Is this correct? I also wonder if he has his edf mounted too far back.

So, I'm ready to give her a go.
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:55 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Hi guys,

New to this thread. A guy at our club gave me his squall after several failed launch attempts. Nose was broken and he was ready to throw it in the bin. When he hand launched, it fluttered almost vertical, did a back flip and straight in from about 8ft agl. Saw him do this 3 times.

Tail heavy ?

I have the Phase 3 F-16 and that one is probably the easiest edf to fly in my squadron. He also doesn't have much of an esc in there. 30 amps. Clearly not enough for 4S. So, I'll drop a 60 amp in there for starters.

I see the recommended cg is 60mm or right about at the rear of the canopy. Is this correct? I also wonder if he has his edf mounted too far back.

So, I'm ready to give her a go.
47.... i have been flying theses for years. cg in the manual is correct . launch is a no brainer ...very much the same as the 16. get it set up like the book says and dont make it stupid heavy . u should have no issues. w/ the t/v it's best aerobatic jet i own..... oh those flat spins puts those 50mm jets to shame hands down. like all deltas set up is every thing.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Thanks rarner, Been flying edfs for years . Scratch built my own before they were popular . I love the way this thing handles , but she don't want to come down.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:08 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
I have the Phase 3 F-16 and that one is probably the easiest edf to fly in my squadron.
The throws on the Squall are much less than the F16. My first Squall oscillated like mad because of the crazy throws. I usually fly with 20-25% throws
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:34 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,634 Posts
Thanks guys,

I'm getting to it. The previous owner epoxied the lower fuse cover on. I need to change out the 40 amp esc he had in there to a 60. Minor surgery. Appreciate the info on the throws. Guy at our field showed me the harrier landing technique with this plane. I'll have to practice that. Clearly not a "skidder" like the F-16.

-hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Jul 30, 2014, 02:58 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Got some color on my baby. Sure helps orientation.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
Got some color on my baby. Sure helps orientation.
Well done 62pilot. The Squall looks great!
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member