HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:49 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Discussion
Aww Man, I crashed the "Red Sled" Today.

The Red Sled is my MD 500D Body Im flying on one of my King2 brushless. Its my favorite because its practically my no fear flying heli (Except 3D). Outside, I was peeling some sky apart and all of a sudden started having what seemed like glitching, heli started doing things I wasnt commanding it to do. Heli went into a piro about 12 feet up and fast fwd flight A second before Impact I was able to drop the throttle lever. Observing the impact, It looked to hit tail first. I seen the Tailfin fly off, I said "well thats broke". Wow!!! That was the only damage to the fuselage , Man This thing is really really tough. Apon looking the heli over the frame broke apart where they screwed together but man this fuselage didnt suffer a scratch besides the broken tail what a really tough fuselage and its plastic !!! Ok, now Im gonna come down to earth about the fuselage most of the emphasis was said with tongue in cheek. Yes the fuse is plastic and only suffered a broken tail but really guys the survival of a fuselage in a crash has nothing to do with the material its made out of,(Wink wink to the FG body flying guys) alot has to do with how the heli crashes and what ends up beating against the body. That said, heli has been repaired, the fuselage tail fixed and heli was back flying in about the space of 45 minutes. It only took that long because it took me about 15 minutes to find my hot melt glue gun.

The cause of the crash: It wasnt pilot error. What had happened was my esc which was held in place with some double sided sticky tape, had let go. While doing a series of loops and rolls and some agressive flying, looks like the ESC and some wires rubbed pretty heavily against the outrunner motor. Several wires had the coating covering the wires rubbed completely off so that bare wires was exposed and possible wire strands touching that should not have been touching. Im sure friction against the wires from the motor was causing signal interference.
The Fix: I made sure the wires were not touching and I used the hot glue to cover the bare and exposed wires. Next I secured the ESC with Tie wraps. The broke frame I removed the small screws and the broken pieces still stuck into the lower frame, I replaced the small screws with bigger screws #4 x 3/8 (Probaby overkill) But they aint pulling out anymore. I noticed that my tailboom was also jammed forward touching the idler pullys. I readjusted the tail boom and belt tension. Threw the body back together and as they say "voila" or is it "Viola", As good as new. Shes back flying like she use to.
Motto: Secure everything and dont trust the sticky tape alone.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Last edited by darthdrk; Jul 17, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts