|Feb 26, 2014, 11:20 AM|
NEW Hobbywing Platinum Pro V3. Governor test
Today, regulators are so many models and it is difficult to choose one that has a hardware with quality components , a software done right, but also a good price.
Personally, I have always sought an ESC for helicopters having a great governor . As everyone knows the Kontronik is one of the best ESC for helicopter , perhaps the most famous and the governor mode works really well, but its price is high.
I recently bought a Hobbywing Platinum Pro , but I was not satisfied by the governor mode , good, but not to the levels of the Kontronik .
So , after exchanging a few emails of a technical nature with the company Hobbywing , I had the opportunity to test the New Hobbywing Platinum Pro V3 , not yet for sale, but they have given me as a sample directly from the same Hobbywing , in order to test the new governor mode , the new firmware and the new hardware in V3 .
Inside the box we find the 3 connectors already soldered to the motor leads ( 4mm ), 2 shrink, 2 cable , user manual and a fan already mounted on the ESC . The new Platinum V3 is enclosed in a hard casing that protects even the 2 capacitors 470uF 35V .
Outwardly it is really nice and well done.
The firmware and hardware have many new features including:
- BEC 10 Amp continuous , 25 peak for the version 100A ; (tested at 5 Amps continuously for several minutes remained lukewarm ) . I think this is a new generation of BEC , very efficient and high frequency . It has been eliminated toroid usually present in these ESC ;
- Voltage BEC software adjustable ( 5.2V , 6V , 7.4 , 8.4v . ) In 100Amp version lacks the step of 5.2V . and 50Amp version lacks the step from 8.4v;
- GOVERNOR STORE mode . ( the number of RPM is stored in a nonvolatile memory and remains constant even using batteries with different initial voltage );
- 50MHz processor ;
- PWM adjustable up to 32khz ;
-Improved RPM response in governor mode;
- Improved soft start;
- Improved Throttle response in governor mode . In the old Platinum Pro , a few percentage points had a great impact on the number of RPM. In the New Platinum V3 adjusting the number of RPM is much more accurate .
- Time for autorotation activated and programmable ;
- Separate output for reading / recording engine RPM .
Here are some photos :
|Feb 26, 2014, 11:21 AM|
To verify , test, and demonstrate if really the governor of this new PLATINUM-V3 manages to keep the speed constant in every situation, I proceeded to record the data with a datalog. Providing you with a complete test with graphs of curves.
It was also my intention to make a comparison between the Kontronik , the old Platinum Pro and the New Platinum Pro-V3 , recording the basic parameters listed below:
- Number of RPM of the motor ( with the governor mode enabled this parameter must remain as constant as possible ) ;
- The battery voltage ( this parameter is also important , a good governor must compensate the normal discharge of the battery during the flight in order to maintain the number of RPM as constant as possible to the last ) ;
- Current ( it is clear that when we give to our collective pitch helicopter this parameter varies greatly , even in this case the software of the ' ESC must compensate to maintain a constant speed ) .
And now we see the result of the test:
- the green line is the rpm of the motor;
- the red line is the current;
- the blu line is the voltage
|Feb 26, 2014, 11:26 AM|
Summary of Results:
- TEST Kontronik governor mode:
The maximum variation in the number of RPM of the motor in conjunction with the change of collective pitch was 500 rpm, which corresponds to the rotor of the helicopter just 43 RPM;
- TEST PRO PLATINUM Old Governor High mode:
The maximum variation in the number of RPM of the motor in conjunction with the change of collective pitch was 1840 rpm, which correspond to the rotor of the helicopter 159 RPM;
- TEST NEW PLATINUM PRO V3 governor store mode:
The maximum variation in the number of RPM of the motor in conjunction with the change of collective pitch was 640 RPM, which correspond to the rotor of the helicopter just 55 RPM;
At this point, I can confirm that the New Hobbywing Platinum V3 has passed the test. The speed remains perfectly constant in all situations as it happens on the Kontronik.
|Feb 27, 2014, 04:01 PM|
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
Great test Galaxy - real measured data rather than just repeated advertising.
Can you share any other impressions such as the characteristics of the softstart?
|Feb 27, 2014, 04:07 PM|
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Dec 2012
Great review galaxy1...the numbers show a huge improvement over the old version. The governor performance is really close to the Kontronik now. In fact it's so close it's negligible. So with a fan in addition to the cooling vents, higher rated BEC and better governor it looks like it's an all around winner.
Kudos to the Hobbywing engineers ...and again nice test galaxy1. Now if they release a 160A HV OPTO version with 14S support along with all of these new features and performance improvements it'd be prefect.
|Feb 27, 2014, 04:33 PM|
The data speak for themselves! no advertising!
|Feb 27, 2014, 04:39 PM|
The fan I have removed. esc stays warm even without fan.
the governor works really well! much better than his predecessor version.
I think, this time hobbywing has created a masterpiece!
|Mar 05, 2014, 06:49 AM|
Joined Apr 2012
I don't write often but it is very interesting feature the live data stream from this esc.
I would like to use it with Frsky system but i don't know how to do it.
I also want to ask if it has logging memory.
Thanks for sharing with as.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Hobbywing 2-6S Platinum-30A-Pro OPTO for 6S hex or a different ESC?||CyberCrash||Multirotor Power Systems||4||Mar 24, 2014 04:18 AM|
|Discussion||governor Kontronik VS Hobbywing platinum||galaxy1||Electric Heli Talk||0||Feb 07, 2014 06:03 AM|
|Sold||Mikrokpoter 3638 Motors and 40A Hobbywing Platinum Pro ESCs||Lroc130||Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W)||0||Jan 10, 2014 07:58 PM|
|Wanted||Hobbywing Opto Platinum Pro 150a esc||v8truckin||Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W)||0||Nov 20, 2013 11:16 AM|
|Sold||Hobbywing Platinum Pro 40A Esc Super BEC deal||storm57||Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W)||0||Oct 16, 2013 05:45 PM|