HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:35 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Discussion
Is a video monitor is as good as video goggles?

I've Been FPVing for many years and have been using Fat Shark video goggles since they first came out. Through a bone headed move I burned up my goggles (don't ask ). So I have to look for either a new pair of Fat Sharks or maybe try a video display instead. Is there anything that is notable about video displays that is good or bad? I know about the blue screen and since I live in Arizona, it gets pretty bright at mid day. Does flying via video monitor differ much from goggles? I would be interested in everybodys opinion. Any monitors worth getting? Thanks Guys!
rvski is offline Find More Posts by rvski
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2013, 09:03 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,601 Posts
That's a fairly odd question. Usually it's the other way around

I can fly a plane either via goggles or monitor, but monitors tend to be more laid back. 20 minutes tend to be a bit too long for goggles.

But on quads, monitors don't work for me. It's easier to judge distances (and i get *very* close) with goggles. It's also harder to nail the landings, all the little movements and indicators you have to compensate for are harder to judge on a monitor.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Last edited by Hajile; Dec 29, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Yeah i know that's an odd question, but before I pull the trigger I don't want to regret my decision. I only know FPV through goggles. Agreed 20 minutes is enough under the hood., and I don't know if flying with the monitor is a a perfect fit for me. I'm still pissed about ruining my fat sharks, even though they were old they worked. Thats a very valid point about flying a multirotor and it makes sense. Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 09:54 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,154 Posts
maybe if the monitor is in a viewing box. Which I have never tried. I have a 9" monitor in my GS, but it is not a nice way to fly, imho, so I use goggs or a big screen tv

I like 32" monitor in a hatchback - very easy to fly long time. But goggles a lot more convenient.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2,122 Posts
sun is a big factor with a monitor. i built a sun shade, and I fly with my ground station in the trunk, semi shaded. Its still difficult to see. I cant wear sunglasses, which leaves alot of light in the peripheral vision. Then of course theres the simple fact that a 10" screen, even 2' away, is pretty small.

I look forward to getting goggles.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,194 Posts
Goggles. More portable, clearer picture, less power to run and more fun!
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:10 AM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
maybe if the monitor is in a viewing box. Which I have never tried. I have a 9" monitor in my GS, but it is not a nice way to fly, imho, so I use goggs or a big screen tv

I like 32" monitor in a hatchback - very easy to fly long time. But goggles a lot more convenient.
I discovered that my fat shark base goggles don';t correct for presbyopia (the almost inevitable result of living to a "ripe" age), but the little lenses only go the other way.. Do you use goggles that can correct for "+" diopter in the 3-4 range? Got any suggestions for the "senior pilots" around here?
wazoo22 is online now Find More Posts by wazoo22
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,601 Posts
Go to your eye doctor and have him make prescription glasses. They can shape lenses to fit any frame, a square lens shouldn't be an issue.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
392 Posts
Not realistic- sounds good, but here's my experience.
Back in the US for a visit, and the eyeball guy wants a lot of money first, and a frame to work with second. Having anticipated this, I had my goggles.I took them in, and he looked at me like I had two heads, and said no. His assistant said she could cut them to match the little correction lenses that came with it, (if looks could kill, she'd be pushing up daisies) but no guarantees as to thickness, and her boss said --more money.
Then Dr. Market Guy said that if I bought the best (read most expensive) lenses that they would be thinner. Still no guarantees, and money up front.
Here in France, the system does not cover eye and tooth care. And at 72, no insurance is affordable or practical.

Bah. I made my own from a pair of cheap drug store glasses, and they worked! Well enough.
I tacked them in with a tiny drop of CA on two corners, and the fumes promptly turned the corners milky, half way to the center!! \x%6**!!!!
I think it's possible to go this way, but don't use CA!!!
Last edited by wazoo22; Dec 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2,122 Posts
fatsharks are built for a 2M viewing distance. Typically thats far enough to push you into the distance range... have you tried it to say for sure that you cant see it?

reread, glasses are polycarbonate AFAIK, ca would craze the plastic for sure.

Elmers glue would be best. They also sell some hobby glue specially made for glueing clear plastic windows on model cars and the like. but as you do not require much more than a little tacking, elmers would probably be more than sufficient.

Im not so ripe though, I am juwt suprised that 2meters out would require "reading glasses"
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Last edited by bauerbach; Dec 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
Im not so ripe though, I am juwt suprised that 2meters out would require "reading glasses"
If you look at the rack of reading glasses for geezers, you'll see that the range varies from 1 diopter of correction to about 4 diopters. My fatsharks need about +3 to be right. In real life, glasses with that correction put me in focus at ----about 2 meters!
Drug store glasses are the cheapest optical plastic, so are very thick. They will rub on the goggle lenses and damage them, so won't work. At the moment I'm dickering with an on-line glasses outfit for just the lenses, no frame, with a 7x24 mm piece cut from the visual center of each. I'll do the rest..
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:05 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
If you look at the rack of reading glasses for geezers, you'll see that the range varies from 1 diopter of correction to about 4 diopters. My fatsharks need about +3 to be right. In real life, glasses with that correction put me in focus at ----about 2 meters!
Drug store glasses are the cheapest optical plastic, so are very thick. They will rub on the goggle lenses and damage them, so won't work. At the moment I'm dickering with an on-line glasses outfit for just the lenses, no frame, with a 7x24 mm piece cut from the visual center of each. I'll do the rest..
Not so much for you, but for others who may want to do this, here is a really good thread on DIY diopters for Fatshark googles. It includes the PDF with dimensions for the standard diopters, as well as a post linking to another great DIY thread right here on RCG.

As for the OP, I started out flying with a sceen, and moved to goggles after a year or so. To use the monitor, I had to construct a good hood - basically right up to my eyes and completely opaque/black - in order to get a good view. I fly multirotors FPV and the disadvantage of an LCD is the ease with which you can look away from the LCD to look directly at the aircraft; do that once and to try to get visual orientation and you`ll realize you can't get back to the screen fast enough. Aside from that, I really don't think there's really a huge difference over the visual experience; it`s mostly compactness of the goggles and a greater feeling of immersion. LCDs can be a perfectly good alternative to goggles, if you don't mind lugging the groundstation around and take the time to find a suitable monitor and construct a proper hood.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Last edited by martinic; Dec 31, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 08:55 AM
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
Well guys, thanks for your input, I pulled the trigger and got another pair of fat sharks. Think I'll see some changes from when i last purchased a pair.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 08:58 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,601 Posts
Cool. Which one?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:13 AM
Multirotors, Planes, LOS, FPV
United States, MO, Moscow Mills
Joined Oct 2013
127 Posts
A 2nd use for the monitor would be spectators.
I would never replace my goggles with a monitor, but, for the sake of a spotter or other spectators, a monitor would be handy. But even a 12" is over $100. But, it would be handy to have as a second screen.
@martinic
I agree with about focus time. I'm in my 50's and my eyes don't focus as quick as they used to. Looking at a monitor, then looking at my quad or plane, then looking back at my monitor, it does take a bit for my eyes to adjust.
MrMikeMartin is offline Find More Posts by MrMikeMartin