HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:55 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
I needed a place to put the ESC so I melted a tunnel back to the cockpit area with a flat screwdriver held over a flame. I kept the temp fairly low -- definitely not red heat -- foam melts at about 200 F.

That way you don't get much odor. You can feel when the foam stops melting, then just a second or two back in the flame, wipe it off on a paper towel, and cut away some more. You can shape it pretty well this way with the flat blade, and it makes a hard interior that serves as reinforcing.

I hit the plywood cabin bulkhead, so will have to drill a hole through it. The advantage of drawing plans is you (hopefully) planned for this kind of thing and made a hole already in your bulkhead. But frankly, I like to make things more than draw them, so I tend to figure it out as I go along. Problems help me to get creative however, and I tend to experiment more with new methods when just building and hitting a snag, so perhaps there's an advantage there!

vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:46 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
If you guys remember the “solid” models of long past (probably not) , all you had was a plan with some templates and a couple blocks of balsa, and if you were lucky a little metal prop... that was it ... you just removed everything that didn’t look like the plane ... and some of these were Quite detailed too..

Ps. Sometimes you even got a tiny piece of sandpaper ...

This is a great site for solid models:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, UT, Garden City
Joined Aug 2011
403 Posts
Wow, I've been like a kid waiting impatiently for this update for the last few weeks and here it is. Cool! When I was a teen, I used to use paper mâché for my cowls and wing fairings on my heavy nitro powered foam board planes. Been kicking the idea around of doing it again and then I see this. Pretty much made me decide to try again. Like you said, it brings me back to my childhood to revisit new(old) methods. It keeps it fresh which is what I need right now. I just got the new job I've been working toward and will be home evenings and weekends now for hopefully the next 25 years so now I can get back to building again. I can't believe that I've been almost two years since building anything. Also nice to know that I'm not the only one!
gmwahl is offline Find More Posts by gmwahl
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:24 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
Checking locations for CG and testing electronics. Everything wiggles and whirs, and the CG looks about right.

Tight fit but managed to keep servos inboard. 350 mah 2 cell. The motor wires will be shortened after this test, and pushrods made. Need to do the ailerons, and spinner.

AUW with everything incl wheels, pants, cowl, batt. etc is at 109 gm. now. Looks like it will just break 4 oz. when finished.

Lousy weather: sleety granular snow and ice everywhere now.

Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:54 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
Hey Mikey! Glad the paper mache worked out for this cowl -- it was simpler than the vacuum form molding, and kept to the "everyday" materials and methods theme for this plane. Next time I'll probably try a female mold to make finishing easier (and releasing easier), but the plug method worked great for a quick one off.

Great to hear about the job, (and time away from it!). Definitely looking forward to seeing what you cook up for your next model when you do get the chance to build again-- I know it will be a good one!
Last edited by vtdiy; Dec 09, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:33 PM
United States, UT, Garden City
Joined Aug 2011
403 Posts
Well Steve, I'm currently cutting a couple of Xmas kits out for my 11 year old nephew who is just getting started in rc. It will be his first plane. I am really looking hard for my next build. It's gotta have something unique about it compared to the normal stuff. Either that or a balsa ship converted to foam. I have been eyeballing my jr skylark and jr falcon plans with an eye toward turning them into foamies.
This little plane you're building is refreshing. It has reminded me of the solid wood control line planes from my youth and also the countless pine wood carved planes that I used to carve after school with my favorite junior high teacher! It's a sweet little plane and I'm looking forward to your flight report(good or bad)!
gmwahl is offline Find More Posts by gmwahl
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:47 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
Mike, man, you and I think exactly alike! I've been thinking of doing a Jr. Falcon or Skylark the last month or so!

I built a Jr. Falcon about 1964, but the wing warped and I didn't know how to fix it at that time, so never flew it. I had wanted a Skylark actually, but figured that was too much for my skills or flying ability (none) -- or money then. Loved the way it looked though!

Boy that was the era of spring loaded tri-gear. Seemed like every plane had it, didn't it? The Taurus was the king of R/C then. Inherited its look and qualities from the Orion. The little Carl Goldberg planes had something of that look of the times. Well as close as you could get with an .049!

Well, if you build one or the other, I'll certainly be with you, watching!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:59 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,970 Posts
Hummmmm? Yup, looks about right.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:57 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,978 Posts
VT , one of our favorite planes in the early 70’s was a Goldberg Jr. Skylark with a golden bee and an Ace Pulse commander (RO) ... Great flyer, very stable , and once we ran out of gas , we could set up for a landing and put the transmitter down and walk away ... the plane would land itself perfectly , rudder flapping like crazy ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
Thanks Goldguy. I think that's the 3-view I used initially in cutting out the shape profiles. Mine doesn't conform completely because it is a semi-profile model though -- basically the result of picking up a 1"thick piece of foam insulation scrap.

I've since thought that maybe next time I'd make it full scale thickness. When I first envisioned doing this, I though I'd just round off the corners to make a fast build plane. But the Shoestring is kind of seductve in shape, I ended up doing a more careful type of rounding and shaping -- which is useful to illustrate for others here on the forum. So it kind of evolved from a sort of quick and dirty fast build into what it seems to want to be.

I think next time I do a mini racer, I'll go full width -- that would also make servo and gear placement less tight. My original idea for the semi-profile (ala Freddie B's Mig 3) was to have the servo arms exposed on the sides. But I couldn't bring myself to do that at this point, so had to go to sub-micro servos to fit inside the fuselage.

Anyway, it is what it is, and probably a little lighter for it.

Progress last night -- not worth photographing but I got the pushrods in. But usual once-a-build idiocy struck when I accidentally dropped the cowl under the table and then the phone rang and I got up and stepped on it! Only noticed it when I got back. Flattened!

Well I popped the thing back out, and then stuck it back on the plug overnight, and I'll be doggoned if it isn't back in shape! 2 tiny cracks at the edges, which I'm just going to reinforce inside with a strip of paper, and we're good to go. I don't even have to re-paint it, since the acrylic craft paint is flexible and didn't crack.

I'm thinking paper mache cowls are pretty tough -- the consistency is kind of like vinyl -- flexible and returns to shape. But the weight is totally different -- this cowl doesn't even register on my gram scale.

Anyway, now that I got the one goof out of the way, things should be alright. I was starting to worry it would be happening during the maiden, knock on wood.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:40 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw View Post
VT , one of our favorite planes in the early 70’s was a Goldberg Jr. Skylark with a golden bee and an Ace Pulse commander (RO) ... Great flyer, very stable , and once we ran out of gas , we could set up for a landing and put the transmitter down and walk away ... the plane would land itself perfectly , rudder flapping like crazy ...
Oh man. I really wanted one of those. And I really,really, really wanted one as a twin. But I knew that was impossible! I just used to look at the picture a lot, and imagine it. Wow, imagine flying that around......

Heh, kids!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:45 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,185 Posts
Interesting your comments about "full scale thickness". When I started scratch building I did many semi profiles and some full fuselage planes, but few (or none) at anything like a full scale plane's proportal width. No particular reason, just worked out that way. Then I got interested in recreating actual historical planes and they all looked so "fat" to me I wondered if they would fly well with so much of the prop span being blocked! I am almost over it by now.....

Applaud your decision to keep servos and wires inside! They just look so not right hanging outside fuse. Also cool about the cowl spring back! I'll have to try the paper mache technique.

Great thread!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:48 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,978 Posts
Would make an easy electric twin now .... maybe a Foamie Jr. Skylark ... Would be pretty Easy really ... Much Lighter too ...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 08:56 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,978 Posts
Just to make things nostalgic... here’s the JS plans from Modelholic...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:01 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,764 Posts
You're distracting me GPW! You know what that means ...... I only need the slightest excuse to start another model and slow down on this one......

Besides, Gary has first dibs....