HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Aug 2013
79 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix 4 simulating NE Xtra 300

I have a Nine Eagles Xtra 300 (Same as Cox Extra 300) that I'm dying to fly, but want to get some Sim time in before I destroy it.

Any suggestions as to a model that would hand similarly in Phoenix 4? I've been playing with the "Multiplex Acromaster" scaled to 50%, but can I rely on the handling characteristics at all?
ncnmra is offline Find More Posts by ncnmra
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2013, 07:56 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Hi

I am not sure which model will most simulate it, but I have one of those. They are very very twitchy even on the low rates. Just be prepared to get some height and any mistakes and you should be able to correct them.

Having said that, once you get the hang of it, its a fun plane to fly. Rolls quick and can do alot of aerobatic stuff.
Nobby33 is offline Find More Posts by Nobby33
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined Aug 2013
79 Posts
Do you have the Phoenix 4 RC? I'm finding the scaling doesn't work all that great, so at the 50% scaling, it seems very very touchy.

I've reverted back to the 100% scaling with the Acromaster, and practicing takeoffs and landings. I told myself I need to be able to do 10 back-to-back landings, at high rates before I try anything with the Xtra.... my main concern is with the wheels that small, it is probably guaranteed to go end over end.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:08 AM
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
No i dont have phoenix so i cant help you there. I took the wheels of my extra, just plopped it on the grass for landing.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2013
79 Posts
I took a chance and flew my Xtra 300 on low rates the other day. My heart was pounding, but I must say that with all the SIM practice I have done, it helped a lot. I was able to perform one perfect landing, and the other was a mild nose-over because I landed on a baseball diamond (very fine gravel). The wheels on this model are way too small in my opinion.

It flew OK from what I could tell, but I was a little underwhelmed with the power. I didn't do anything crazy, as I was trying to keep control and level flight for the most part. On my second landing, the motor stopped running, and I had to "reset" everything, and give it a hand turn to get it going. Not sure if some sand got in there or what, but I have to investigate further.

I must say, the exhilaration of a real flight was fantastic
Old Oct 01, 2013, 05:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
Congrats!!!

I took the wheels off mine, they are to small to be any real use.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2013
79 Posts
I had to replace the motor, as the stock one was just very suspect. The "new" N60 motor seems to have more power....for about the first minute of flight, then it dies off. This was a brand new "E-Flite" motor. I think I'm going to go to a brushless setup. I purchased all the parts from HK a while back, and this is a good time to hack it up.