Old Sep 01, 2013, 11:05 AM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Discussion
Airfield Giant Convertible EDF Power RC Glider Kit 2400mm Wingspan

First time I have seen this.

"Extreme Surfer": quite similar to the Super Surfer from Banana Hobby but has EDF option and other features that are different.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a289-giantglider-kit.html

Anyone have this?

Specification:
Wingspan: 2400MM(94.49inch)
Length: 1518MM(59.77inch)
Flying Weight: 2250~2300g
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Last edited by Hammer Head; Sep 01, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2013, 11:35 AM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Tail looks quite different than the Super Surfer, and appears removable.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 03:25 PM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
440 Posts
Unboxing video here:
Unboxing: Airfield Giant Convertible EDF Glider (10 min 58 sec)

It has an interesting little camera mount built into the top of the nose. Of course it also has an EDF option, which is kind of odd. They're supposed to be working on a flight video. I'm curious to see how it flies with that little EDF.
TNug is offline Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2013, 05:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,199 Posts
Hmmm. I've never seen a video from the guys at NP where they actually glide, much less soar. That's not a criticism but just an observation. I am very happy with my $70.00 "Super Glider" from them. In fact, I'm trying very hard to enlist a camera man so I can post a video of one of their sailplanes actually soaring!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 07, 2013, 07:22 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Thanks for posting that vid. TNug

This is getting more and more tempting. Really like the servo placement in the tail. Seems to have some advantages over the Super Surfer.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 09:45 AM
Waypoint Collector
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
440 Posts
I found another thread on what looks like an identical plane.
TOP RC Sky Cruise 2400
It's been out there since March, so there is a lot of good info.
TNug is offline Find More Posts by TNug
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:35 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Cool TNug

I will check that out!
Old Oct 01, 2013, 09:35 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,230 Posts
Extreme Airfield 2.4 meter maiden flight

Hello-

I hit the enter key and ordered this model from Nitro Planes. It arrived in two boxes. It went together quickly and I set it up with a 2650 mAh 4 cell battery. Had the CG just a little forward of 85 mm for the test. The field where I fly has about a 15 foot high ridge on it. I launched into the wind (maybe 6mph) and it slowly started gliding toward the ground, so I added about 1/2 throttle and started climbing. As I went to 3/4 throttle, the motor made a sickening grinding sound and turned off! I reduced the throttle to zero and tried again. This time it kept going so I decided to climb and then return to the field with a little more altitude. After a complete ground check, the motor ran fine and I could not reproduce the problem. Since I had it well trimmed, I tried a second toss. Out about 50 feet the motor spit off the prop and spinner. I glided down to a very nice landing.

It turns out the prop locking nut had come loose and was rattling around inside the hub spinner. Also, one of the props was not tight on the hub. This unit has a split prop of two sparate blades. I put a bit of CA on the motor shaft nut and prop mounting screw. It turns out you must remove the motor from the mount in order to get the spinner screws back in place because they are on the back of the hub and there is no way to get to them unless you pull the motor. My motor had only one set screw holding it in place, but even with the screw totally removed, I could not coax the motor out of the mount.

I did another try with the ducted fan mounted. The plane flew beautifully, but the fan supplied less thrust, yet used 27 amps as opposed to 20 amps with the prop motor.

Bottom line is that this plane is very well made, very stable in flight, looks great, and I even managed to thermal with it (motor off) on one flight. It did not want to come down. Since my first flight, the motor has cut out again a couple of times on the prop unit, but never did with the fan. Once I get this motor issue resolved, I think it is going to be a great plane. I have contacted Nitro Planes and they said they could send a new motor and prop. I asked if they could sent the whole pod with motor and prop, since I may damage the one I have now by trying to force the motor out. I'm waiting to hear back from them on that.

Rich
Organ NM
rloose is online now Find More Posts by rloose
Last edited by rloose; Oct 01, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:57 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,230 Posts
Nitro Planes sent new motor pod

I just received a replacement motor pod from Nitro Planes. They sent it quickly and I will give it a try tomorrow morning. Winds may be a factor later in the week. I am anxious to see how the Extreme Surfer does with a fully working prop motor.

Thanks Nitro Planes for such good customer service.

Rich
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:33 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,230 Posts
Maiden # 2

The new motor made a big difference. Watt meter showed 360 watts instead of 320 on original motor. I had a long flight with some lift a couple of times. After landing, I still had 80% left on a 2650 mAh 4 cell battery. Flying into the wind, it just seems to hang in the air. Time to put a camera on the nose.

Rich
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:21 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,936 Posts
I have been looking at this for some time...the shipping costs{$50} is getting me down some...Have you tried the flaps yet? I was thinking it could also be used as spoilers with a slider switch...that way you could do both flaps and spoilers.
I was wondering why in the world they would put in a edf motor...they take a lot of power.It says for speed, but I do not believe that...
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:24 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,230 Posts
Flaps

Sanman55-

I know what you mean about shipping costs. The plane is huge and ships in two separate boxes. I was impressed with how well it was packed for shipping. It took some effort to get it out of the boxes.

The flaps work very well. This model is big enough for the flaps to really make a difference on landing. Flaps slow it down and shorten the landing run. There is just a little nose up when the flaps are deployed. I am still flying with the CG slightly toward nose heavy. I plan to keep moving the CG back to see if I can get rid of the up elevator trim I currently need for level flight.

As to the EDF, it draws more current than the prop and of course that shows as more watts on the watt meter. But it is clear that the thrust is actually less than the prop unit generates. It does not fly well with the EDF in my opinion. I am considering removing the EDF fan and motor and using the pod as a motor mount for a bigger prop motor in the 500 watt range. I have not tried any different prop pitches and diameters on the existing prop drive.

Rich
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:03 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
1,936 Posts
Thanks for the info...have u tried to use the flaps as spoilers, up instead down?
Still thinking about this one..wish there was more discussion but it looks like a nice glider and eventually I might get it....
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Oct 22, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2013
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rloose View Post
Sanman55-

I know what you mean about shipping costs. The plane is huge and ships in two separate boxes. I was impressed with how well it was packed for shipping. It took some effort to get it out of the boxes.

The flaps work very well. This model is big enough for the flaps to really make a difference on landing. Flaps slow it down and shorten the landing run. There is just a little nose up when the flaps are deployed. I am still flying with the CG slightly toward nose heavy. I plan to keep moving the CG back to see if I can get rid of the up elevator trim I currently need for level flight.

As to the EDF, it draws more current than the prop and of course that shows as more watts on the watt meter. But it is clear that the thrust is actually less than the prop unit generates. It does not fly well with the EDF in my opinion. I am considering removing the EDF fan and motor and using the pod as a motor mount for a bigger prop motor in the 500 watt range. I have not tried any different prop pitches and diameters on the existing prop drive.

Rich
Are the flaps included? I see all the videos with them installed but no mention of them
mrtibbs is offline Find More Posts by mrtibbs
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,230 Posts
Flaps

Yep-

Flaps and servos are included. They are setup and ready to go. I did not have to adjust them at all.

Rich