HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
Tigre,

Can you explain to me what a surge tank is? It's not an expression I've heard of in over 40 years of flying.

Thanks

Greg

Remember the old Perfect brand, CL tanks? They must have made a dozen or more models ranging from less than an ounce to 3 or 4 ounce capacities? they had a conventional two vent, wedge shaped tank. Then several folks made similar wedge shaped tanks with two vents. When I was working at Ca Model Supply in Orange Co, Ca, and flying with the Sky Burners, we called these simple tanks "surge tanks" to differentiate them from car tanks or rectangualr tanks, clunk tanks or clank tanks.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Mar 27, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,120 Posts
Using the perfect tanks taught me to pop the back off and see where the tubes went. Actually, in recent memory, I have never bought a tank which was plumbed to suit me any way.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:49 PM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
382 Posts
Thanks Tigre,
I'm a little wiser now.

I guess the original intent of baffles was to provide a steady fuel supply regardless of what the plane was doing. My opinion is that the baffle became superfluous with the wide use of uniflow tanks.

Getting back to your original question why?

Ease of manufacture, expense, ignorance. Your guess would be as good as mine on this.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Greg
Do you remember who that Aussie guy was that invented a tank where, after the main tank was drained to about half full, only drew fuel from a very small internal tank which could only be refilled when the model was inverted or pulled negative G? Apparently the tank only held enough fuel for about 6 upright laps after finishing the clover so avoided running overtime. I believe it quickly became banned (and I can guess who protested ) on the basis that it was a form of engine cut off. I've been trying to figure out how he did it but it's got me beat .
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:06 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
382 Posts
No Brian,

I don't know if I ever did know who's responsible.

I'd guess that Herb Hanna would know - I'll ask him next time I'm talking to him. He remembers just about everything - and what he doesn't remember he makes up. ;-)

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:58 AM
Joined Nov 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Greg
Do you remember who that Aussie guy was that invented a tank where, after the main tank was drained to about half full, only drew fuel from a very small internal tank which could only be refilled when the model was inverted or pulled negative G? Apparently the tank only held enough fuel for about 6 upright laps after finishing the clover so avoided running overtime. I believe it quickly became banned (and I can guess who protested ) on the basis that it was a form of engine cut off. I've been trying to figure out how he did it but it's got me beat .
I remember the article in Aeromodeller early 1980's sometime. A flat sheet balsa solid wing stunter together with that special tank.

Can't remember the blokes name. He may have been a South Australian. I'll ask Ian Smith tomorrow if I can remember.

He's still got one of them there beasts with a hot Chinese 25 glow in it.

Otherwise I'll just make something up as well, if I can remember.

locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:08 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktite401 View Post
A flat sheet balsa solid wing stunter together with that special tank.

Can't remember the blokes name. He may have been a South Australian.
Aaarrrgghhh....when I first joined our CL club here in Adelaide several years ago there was a guy flying a stunter like that but I haven't seen him since. Hopefully I'll be out flying tomorrow so I'll ask around.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Aaarrrgghhh....when I first joined our CL club here in Adelaide several years ago there was a guy flying a stunter like that but I haven't seen him since. Hopefully I'll be out flying tomorrow so I'll ask around.
I haven't seen Ian yet but a name has popped up, "Frank Coomes" or similar.

Ray

Edit: Yes Frank Coomes it was.

Here's his picture, from David Kids site.
Last edited by locktite401; Mar 29, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
We called them "surge tanks". Is the more common name for a simple, unmodified, metal CL tank a "wedge tank"? Then the kind designed for profile fuselages are called profile wedge tanks?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Apr 02, 2013, 08:08 PM
Joined Nov 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
We called them "surge tanks". Is the more common name for a simple, unmodified, metal CL tank a "wedge tank"? Then the kind designed for profile fuselages are called profile wedge tanks?
Here we just call them Uniflow tanks. The performance is excellent and they're not any harder to make than the other type. Just a rectangular shape is fine. No need to put a wedge on them, just so long as you get the uniflow arrangement right. they work with a profile fuselage or full shape. Some local Slow Combat fliers do put a small diagonal baffle across the outside back edge of the fuel pickup pipe.

The Brits have an interesting variant for Vintage (Diesel) Combat, it's a uniflow baffled front feed. It works very well with larger venturi holes for more power.

Last edited by locktite401; Apr 02, 2013 at 09:32 PM.