HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:44 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
63 Posts
Discussion
Is the Bixler supposed to crash and burn instantly?

Hello,

I am a noob to RC flight but and i read the bixler is a good place to start.

I got a RTF kit, which i thought was an ok kit for the price to but quickly realized that:

1. Radio is trash
2. Battery is trash
3. Charger is trash
4. Prop is trash
5.ESC is semi trash

This is not my issue though, i threw out the battery and the charger and i got a Futaba 7C and a proper battery and charger and a good prop. Everything else was left stock.

I reinforced the out of the plane, Carbon rod in bottom of the fuselage , 2 carbon rods under and inside the rear wing ( along it and also vertical into the top wing) and a carbon rod of course between the wings.
I also used strong tape on the front of the plane.

I crashed the plane after 10 seconds the wing broke in half, i glued it and after 2 days tried again and this time the plane also gained crazy elevation and then i lost control, as if the wind took over the plane or something...

I flew the sky-surfer a lot on the real flight simulator and i did well there, so i do know the basic controls and maneuvers , i didn't expect this plane to behave so crazy. I checked all the flight controls and the tuning. IT's all good.

Is the bixler realy supposed to turn into garbage after 1 crash?
Is there a better plane to start with that doesn't break so easily?

the 37$ Bixler KIT is out of stock and it feels like am wasting my money....


What do you more experienced people think?

Thanks!
PsyQuad is offline Find More Posts by PsyQuad
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyQuad View Post
Hello,

I am a noob to RC flight but and i read the bixler is a good place to start.

I got a RTF kit, which i thought was an ok kit for the price to but quickly realized that:

1. Radio is trash
2. Battery is trash
3. Charger is trash
4. Prop is trash
5.ESC is semi trash

This is not my issue though, i threw out the battery and the charger and i got a Futaba 7C and a proper battery and charger and a good prop. Everything else was left stock.

I reinforced the out of the plane, Carbon rod in bottom of the fuselage , 2 carbon rods under and inside the rear wing ( along it and also vertical into the top wing) and a carbon rod of course between the wings.
I also used strong tape on the front of the plane.

I crashed the plane after 10 seconds the wing broke in half, i glued it and after 2 days tried again and this time the plane also gained crazy elevation and then i lost control, as if the wind took over the plane or something...

I flew the sky-surfer a lot on the real flight simulator and i did well there, so i do know the basic controls and maneuvers , i didn't expect this plane to behave so crazy. I checked all the flight controls and the tuning. IT's all good.

Is the bixler realy supposed to turn into garbage after 1 crash?
Is there a better plane to start with that doesn't break so easily?

the 37$ Bixler KIT is out of stock and it feels like am wasting my money....


What do you more experienced people think?

Thanks!
It's you,you did it wrong. The Bixler is a proven model. Quite why you felt the need, as a complete beginner, to do modifications is beyond me.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:49 PM
who put that tree there
dazza44's Avatar
Joined Jun 2010
798 Posts
tail heavy?? very hard for a noob to control tail heavy plane.
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:17 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
It seems to me that you are trying to fly under far from adequate conditions for a beginner. If it is too windy, don't insist.
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
63 Posts
I did mods because everyone say it's must have bixler mods...
I removed the metal discs in the front, strengthened the plane and even put magnets on the wings to hold them together...

Was that a bad idea or what? Tail heavy might explain why it behaved the way it did....
PsyQuad is offline Find More Posts by PsyQuad
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:10 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
tdab's Avatar
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyQuad View Post
Is the Bixler supposed to crash and burn instantly?
If this is the first RC plane you have ever tried to fly and your only experience then the answer is YES, it will crash and burn instantly 99% of the time. If you are noob with no experience, then you can't blame the plane. Get a person with a buddy box and you will be set.
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
Registered User
Dr Kiwi's Avatar
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,193 Posts
Always do a test glide first... it you had done so, the tail heavy condition would have been obvious. Did you check the CG before you tried to fly it? All your strengthening mods simply made the whole plane weigh a lot more than it needed to be.... light planes usually fly better.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:00 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyQuad View Post
I did mods because everyone say it's must have bixler mods...
I removed the metal discs in the front, strengthened the plane and even put magnets on the wings to hold them together...

Was that a bad idea or what? Tail heavy might explain why it behaved the way it did....

Also sounds to me like you had the ailerons reversed. Did it take off, then enter an unrecoverable roll to the left or right before impacting the ground wing first?

Basically, you built it, you modded it, you crashed it, therefore, it's your fault.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Apr 08, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2005
158 Posts
Oct2633

PsyQuad, I purchased the Bixler kit, assembled it with my own motor, electronics, etc. and it flys like a dream. Very floaty, requiring almost no guidance, it will practically land itself. The weights that you took out of the fuselage should have been left there! I debated removing them but I figured that the people who manufactured the kit knew what they were doing since they did all the flight testing. Perhaps when you removed these it rendered the Bixler tail heavy. All in all, I thought the kit was good quality. The modifications that you made were not necessary as the airframe is quite strong as supplied. I'm quite puzzled as to why you had the problems you encountered.
oct2633 is offline Find More Posts by oct2633
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:47 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oct2633 View Post
PsyQuad, I purchased the Bixler kit, assembled it with my own motor, electronics, etc. and it flys like a dream. Very floaty, requiring almost no guidance, it will practically land itself. The weights that you took out of the fuselage should have been left there! I debated removing them but I figured that the people who manufactured the kit knew what they were doing since they did all the flight testing. Perhaps when you removed these it rendered the Bixler tail heavy. All in all, I thought the kit was good quality. The modifications that you made were not necessary as the airframe is quite strong as supplied. I'm quite puzzled as to why you had the problems you encountered.

I read a lot about this plane and many said these are must have mods for FPV.

Maybe i should have just tried flying the plane without any mods first, i was just afraid it will break without mods, which is exactly what it did with the mods.

I have glued as much as i can now and i fixed all the damages.
I will let the glue and carbon reinforcements to the wing cure now a couple of days
Then i will add weight to the nose and i will try flying again.

The plane is so beat up by now i don't know how nice it will fly...

Should i buy a new KIT and just move all the components to the new one?
PsyQuad is offline Find More Posts by PsyQuad
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:26 AM
Who Dat!
GeetarJoe's Avatar
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
Are you trying to fly fpv your first time out? You need to crawl before you walk... Right now it sounds like youre trying to run a triathlon wearing a blindfold whilst riding a horse.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,285 Posts
Joe, what are you doing on my side of the forum ; )


Joe is right dude, you cant do fpv without knowing the limits of the plane and yourself as a pilot. I know how to fly for the most part and when I fky my fpv easystar I only went out 1km and was nervous as all hell.

If the bixler is anything like an easystar then its a pussy cat in the air when setup correctly.
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:06 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Gerry__'s Avatar
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyQuad View Post
I read a lot about this plane and many said these are must have mods for FPV.

Maybe i should have just tried flying the plane without any mods first, i was just afraid it will break without mods, which is exactly what it did with the mods.

I have glued as much as i can now and i fixed all the damages.
I will let the glue and carbon reinforcements to the wing cure now a couple of days
Then i will add weight to the nose and i will try flying again.

The plane is so beat up by now i don't know how nice it will fly...

Should i buy a new KIT and just move all the components to the new one?
EPO is easy to fix. You should have been able to get it back the 99.9% of what it was using the correct techniques.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:33 AM
Who Dat!
GeetarJoe's Avatar
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Joe, what are you doing on my side of the forum ; )


Joe is right dude, you cant do fpv without knowing the limits of the plane and yourself as a pilot. I know how to fly for the most part and when I fky my fpv easystar I only went out 1km and was nervous as all hell.

If the bixler is anything like an easystar then its a pussy cat in the air when setup correctly.
Wussp brotha! I hope youre not freezing too bad up there in the great white north. ;) i flew my t-28 for the firsr time this afternoon. What a great little flyer. Got a bat-tree and an rx on the way for that funjet. I think you may have started something for me with the foamies. Ive even been staring at the foam my plane came in thinking about what i coild build with it. Ha!
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
EPO is easy to fix. You should have been able to get it back the 99.9% of what it was using the correct techniques.
How do you fix that hole in the wing?
Everything else is fixed, i taped over the hole with silver tape and i flew today again after balancing the plane.

It worked MUCH better , i even glide tested it and it was all smooth.
Problem is the wind is way to strong, about 1/3 of how strong it was on the maiden flight but i didn't take risks today.
Managed to control the plane, turn it around and land it safely.
Went home satisfied for an after critical crash fix test flight

Any tips on fixing that hole?
Everything else is pretty much solid now.

Thanks!

PsyQuad is offline Find More Posts by PsyQuad
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion crash causes 3 acres to burn... wl6 Crash Discussion 8 Mar 25, 2012 08:42 PM
Discussion Bachmann the Latest Right Winger to Crash and Burn Pipemajor Life, The Universe, and Politics 28 Oct 23, 2011 04:16 AM
Careful! How to check servos after a crash ? (already 3 HEXTRONIK MG-14 burned) Honza C Power Systems 17 Oct 20, 2011 08:55 PM
Discussion Mini-Me "Stimulus" Crashes, Burns Big Foot 48 Life, The Universe, and Politics 9 Oct 12, 2011 09:44 AM