HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
Okay, still working on this bad boy, I know it has been a while, but it got put on hold over the summer. After several sessions of trial and error, I have decided to make my first attempt a smaller version, for 90mm. I will be scanning the plans, downsizing them, and creating a 3d model from them. I am ordering a 3-axis router cnc, to mill a "negative" mold from foam, which then will be finished and utilized to mold the final fuselage....

Right now I am in the investigation stage of finding the best software to do all of this.. I know this is like starting from scratch, but, if I can get this method down, I can turn out some cool planes that are not modelled very often... F-106 anyone? Or how about an F-101?
Oryon is offline Find More Posts by Oryon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
264 Posts
I have a Zen Toolworks 12 x 12 and Joe's 2006 (48" x 24") almost done. I run Mach 3 and generate gcode through the Phlatboyz SketchUp plugin and also CamBam. The free SketchUp stuff is ok, but CamBam is the goods. You can tinker with the SketchUp stuff, but I think CamBam is far superior. The new Profili does wing molds and will generate gcode. Never used it, but sure looks good. Good luck! Please document your progress and thoughts as you proceed. This is the kind of stuff I like and the reason I got into CNC. Here's a pic of a Jet Provost T3 I am drawing for 90mm EDF that I will cut on my CNC when I get done. The ducting will be cut out of foam and glassed for lost foam. The wings will be cut on the 4-axis foam cutter I am building with a Hobby CNC foam Pro board. Like I said, I am ate up with the CNC stuff...:-)
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
I will be doing everything composite, so all will be molds. Likely will use DevFUS Cam, (which outputs an STL file, in "negative" mold form, for CNC milling), for the main fuselage, then sketchup for any additional fairings etc, and profili pro for wing molds...kind of where I was leaning...

The only "kit" ive found for a CNC mill under a grand, is the bluumax... was hoping for one with a bit more vertical travel, so I dont have to cut the fuse into so many sections, but still need/want to stay under a grand for the CNC (without software)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:34 PM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
264 Posts
I've looked at the Bluumax. You're right, it is the only one that size for that price. I don't know about using a Dremel. From what I've heard, the amount of runout in them varies from really tight to really loose. That's not from personal experience. My Zen uses their special low runout spindle. The Joe's used a 1.25 horsepower Hitachi router. I think you're on the right track with your software selection.

Will
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:29 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,010 Posts
F-106 yeah baby
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:00 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,339 Posts
I would love to be able to mill a mold directly from a 3D CAD model too, so I'm very interested in your project! But will DevFus CAM be able to model the duct inside the fuse? I looked at it briefly and it seemed like you could only put "boxes" inside a fuse.
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
No, I wouldnt use it for that... although you could take measurements and make the duct as another, separate "fuselage" and have it cut the "positive" plug.. (which that software does as well)