HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:46 PM
Ice
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Jul 2002
578 Posts
Question
Replication of kit

I have a couple of kits specifically 1. Midwest's AT-6 1.20 and 2. Sig's 1/5 Cub. I have them flying now and found and bought untouched kits. I did this since they are unavailable and absolutely great airplanes..

Anyway, I want to be able to have these available to me, when not if I crash them.. An old WWII Corsair pilot who taught me to fly RCs always said, " Dont get too attached because every one will eventually crash". As time goes on and products to buy become worse, I want to preserve these..

Is there anyone that will take the kits and reproduce them exactly the same or am I destined to trace and cut out by hand all the laser cut pieces.

Thanks, Nickel
Ice is offline Find More Posts by Ice
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,264 Posts
There might be legal rights at issue here. I traced a few of my kits and kept the templates. Tracing doesnt really take that long. Keep the kits and cut parts from the templates.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,753 Posts
I believe that the 1/5 Sig Cub is still in production. Why not just buy one ?

The Midwest AT-6 could be purchased on Flea Bay, or in the For Sale sections of the various forums. Just be patient. One will eventually show up.

I see no reason to go to the trouble of replicating these kits.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Manor, TX. USA,
Joined Jul 2008
566 Posts
copies

Ice

I feel as you, I copy all the birds I want to keep. I usually build two at a time and will copy the parts and preserve the plans rolled up in a tube.

I have kaos's that are copies of kits I have purchased. and the drawings came in handy when I buried one deep in the dirt

I have a giant p-51 on the bench that is a copy, the kit parts is still in the box.

Go for it!.................Donny
donnyman is offline Find More Posts by donnyman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Electrics ?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
Ice
Joined Jul 2002
578 Posts
Edwin, Cutting ply formers is real work and you can not get the quality as laser can.
Legally, what is the difference tracing a kit myself and having it traced.. there would only be a problem if I were to sell copied kits.. but for my use, it would be as I would pay you to copy it for me since its a lot of work.. non issue.

Another 5 years and there will not be any of these kits around. They are becoming scarce as it is now and they are becoming much more expensive.. the first AT-6 I got for 225 and that included the gear.. I basically got the kit for free. That was 4 yrs ago.. I just bought the "replacement" one for 300 just for the kit and that is what I seen others go for or more.

Kitcutters cant do it.. Is there anyone who knows who could use a laser that would be able to cut these parts for me?

Thanks, Nickel
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
Ice
Joined Jul 2002
578 Posts
I did talk to Sig.. they are moving to Chinese arf.. try and buy a kit.. you cant..
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:12 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Kitcutters cant do it.. Is there anyone who knows who could use a laser that would be able to cut these parts for me?
I can do it but for what it would cost you could probably buy two or three second hand kits and store them away. You would be paying for the time to draw the parts, the laser cutting time, and the cost of the materials. Not really economical in my opinion if you are not able to sell them to recoup at least some of your investment.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
Ice
Joined Jul 2002
578 Posts
Humm.. What type of machine does this work..
Is there something like autopen that would hook up to a laser or cutter, it follows your tracing?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:55 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,346 Posts
A laser cutter requires a vector image for cutting. In order to duplicate a kit you would need to draw each part using a CAD program or other vector based software such as Correl or Illustrator. Laser cut parts are only as accurate as the files used to cut them and properly drawn laser cutting files for something like the Midwest Texan would be relatively time consuming to produce. Basically every part would need to be traced onto paper, then the paper scanned to create a digital image, then the digital image is inserted as a background in whatever program you are using and traced again in order to create the vector file. A good draftsman then goes back and cleans up the drawings to make sure all the notches are the proper dimension, angles are at 90 degrees if they are supposed to be, spar notches line up, etc. Based on my experience I would guess that it would take me at least 20 hours to create a decent laser cutting file for something like the Texan and quite possibly more than that.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
Ice
Joined Jul 2002
578 Posts
Well this just sucks.. I guess I will have to do it by hand.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,264 Posts
Ice,
You are right about personal use. I just dont know if a company would do it. An individual with a laser might do it. But like Chad says, it can be labor intensive. I do a fair amount of cad work in my job and just dont have the desire when I get home. Dont give up yet, you may still find an individual thats willing.
Cutting my own parts (ply or balsa) isnt that big a deal for me. I see my time as worthless once I get into the shop. Sort of my stress release. But I can completely understand someone not wanting to cut their own parts. I usually spend at least a week or so doing it, longer if all the ribs are different.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1