HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:17 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,498 Posts
In a world of complexity, it is surprising that the simplest airframe available is the one that holds so much fascination. It is all the things everyone has said; good looking, good design, flies well, great trainer, gigantically adaptable.

It's just a great airplane, is all.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 09:59 PM
GEDII
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
Getting Discouraged

I crashed mine again!!! I just can't seem to hand launch properly. I am so pissed off. I know how to fly a plane but this jet is getting the best of me. I have had it in the air only twice. It flew great and I was happy. I have crashed about four times on launch. New fans and re-glued each time. Sunday was the last crash. Hand launched W.F.O. And it just went straight up like a rocket, tried down elevator but no reaction so I tried to loop it but it just dropped like a rock. It was so weak after all the re-glues it ended up being junk. I have another air frame that I got on sale recently and will buy a few more fans and get back at it. I will not let it beat me. All you guys make it sound so easy. You all seem to love it so much and I want the same.

My goal is to scale it out one day. Please let me know where to get the printable decal paper. I think I will get another air frame when they go on sale and make it pretty but I guess I will never fly it until figure out my crappy hand launches.

I guess I needed to vent.......
GEDII is online now Find More Posts by GEDII
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Aug 2012
343 Posts
I would say that until you get comfortable with it, the easiest way is to have someone else hand launch it for you. That way you can focus on flying it rather than launching it AND flying it.
arik434 is online now Find More Posts by arik434
Old Yesterday, 04:18 AM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEDII View Post
I crashed mine again!!! I just can't seem to hand launch properly. I am so pissed off. I know how to fly a plane but this jet is getting the best of me. I have had it in the air only twice. It flew great and I was happy. I have crashed about four times on launch. New fans and re-glued each time. Sunday was the last crash. Hand launched W.F.O. And it just went straight up like a rocket, tried down elevator but no reaction so I tried to loop it but it just dropped like a rock. It was so weak after all the re-glues it ended up being junk. I have another air frame that I got on sale recently and will buy a few more fans and get back at it. I will not let it beat me. All you guys make it sound so easy. You all seem to love it so much and I want the same.

My goal is to scale it out one day. Please let me know where to get the printable decal paper. I think I will get another air frame when they go on sale and make it pretty but I guess I will never fly it until figure out my crappy hand launches.

I guess I needed to vent.......

Try to get some video of you hand launching it, and we can see what is going wrong.
Until then my thoughts: what sort of thrust to weight ratio have you got? Are you throwing it straight up and the plane stalling due to lack of power. I launch mine straight up and it will accelerate in a vertical climb till out of sight.
Elevators won't work at zero airspeed.
Is your CG correct.
And lastly, is your thrust alignment correct and true? Your launch sounds a lot like when i used to hand launch my Phantom which has the wrong thrust alignment giving it vectored up thrust. Gunning the throttle too quickly and the plane would pitch up violently and no amount of elevator would help. So have you installed the fan or thrust tube straight and true?
Or was it just a bad hand launch?
Just a thought.
sniper1 is offline Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Aug 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
Try to get some video of you hand launching it, and we can see what is going wrong.
Until then my thoughts: what sort of thrust to weight ratio have you got? Are you throwing it straight up and the plane stalling due to lack of power. I launch mine straight up and it will accelerate in a vertical climb till out of sight.
Elevators won't work at zero airspeed.
Is your CG correct.
And lastly, is your thrust alignment correct and true? Your launch sounds a lot like when i used to hand launch my Phantom which has the wrong thrust alignment giving it vectored up thrust. Gunning the throttle too quickly and the plane would pitch up violently and no amount of elevator would help. So have you installed the fan or thrust tube straight and true?
Or was it just a bad hand launch?
Just a thought.
All good suggestions. Since he said that he has a couple sucessful flights on it, I figured that the setup/build should be in the ballpark and he may just be having some trouble with the launch. I think its common for people to try and throw it up too high. I often toss mine a little higher than normal as well (and never at 100% throttle), but like you, mine are all overpowered
arik434 is online now Find More Posts by arik434
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
374 Posts
For me only my rule on this plane is
1) Don't use a 3s setup. Not much power.
2) When hand launching straight and fairly even throw with only a timey bit angle up. This thing needs some air under the wings. And I always remember to get ready to give it some right turn.

I really understand the frustration. I have crashed many of these in fact mine is sitting on the floor right now in pieces for something similar on launch. But, I have many successful flight but unlike my wings these have a lot of considerations.
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
[QUOTE=GEDII;28111107
My goal is to scale it out one day. Please let me know where to get the printable decal paper. I think I will get another air frame when they go on sale and make it pretty but I guess I will never fly it until figure out my crappy hand launches. [/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about the launch crashes. Having friend do the lauches for a while sounds good. not more thn 5 degrees up. and yes as also mentioned, It's gonna roll left, so be ready for some right alieron.

For the decal paper......
Keep in mind that you cannot inkjet print "white" color. It will come out clear. That's what the white backed stuff is for.

Here's the Testor's brand. It's clear only.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes...FUqUfgodMwMAOA

Here, you can get a 20 pack of 10 sheets ea, mixed clear, and "white" backed.
This is the one I have used.
http://www.decalpaper.com/product-p/tryc.htm
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Yesterday at 05:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
Marina Village, NC
Joined Aug 2007
3,296 Posts
i am starting on my new ef-16. i see a couple of mentions of 1/64 plywood to help secure the taileron section.. i have a small sheet.. but it's really thin and pretty flimsy. is this gonna hold it together and keep the flex out ?
KCinNC is online now Find More Posts by KCinNC
Last edited by KCinNC; Yesterday at 06:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,136 Posts
the ply is more of a hole retainer or protection from twist forces
on the taileron bushings area
so flimsy works
you could double it up if really feel its too thin

someone sells/ sold a taileron kit for it but I lost track of who ? anyone else?
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: nice map
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
United States, PA, Warren
Joined Dec 2013
262 Posts
Even some carbon rod or even dowel rod will work if you don't want to take the time trimming out all the ply.

My project Ef16 has been ready for its first flightfor a few weeks now. However, everytime I think about heading to the field with it I read about a new crash. Luckily I bought 2 in case something goes wrong.

That's the nice thing about these little birds, if you buy them at the right price its probably one of the least expensive crashes you will ever go through. I just hope they don't quit making these kits for some reason.
MIGPILOT44 is online now Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I've never tried the Testors, but I've bought mixed packages of Inkjet printable white backed, and clear waterslide decals online.
You print out a sheet, then overcoat the decal sheet with a couple of coats of Gloss clear enamal.
They've worked great for me and are super thin (as a decal is)

There is also thread here somewhere, where folks have contributed hundreds? of pages
of artwork you can copy and paste, and re scale if need be,
Awesome, Thanks.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
GEDII
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
Getting Discouraged

Thanks everybody. I'm running 3s on a Wicked Dons setup. I don't know how to measure the thrust but I know the times I did get it flying it seemed fairly fast. I really think my thrust tube and fan were installed straight. Maybe I do need someone else to launch it. I tried to make sure the toss was just slightly above level.

Starting build two next week. Maybe the fresh airframe and a slow build will help.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM
Flying 2 Fight Cancer
corona, ca
Joined Feb 2011
3,460 Posts
Hey GED my offe still stands if you need some help. I fly in corona
Elec 1800 is online now Find More Posts by Elec 1800
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:28 AM
GEDII
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elec 1800 View Post
Hey GED my offe still stands if you need some help. I fly in corona
I may have to swallow my pride and have you give me some pointers. It will take a few weeks .

Thanks