HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2005, 03:51 PM
We burn daylight.
USA
Joined Jul 2005
101 Posts
Yippee!
NiCad or NiMh for VE?

OK - I am asking this just out of curiosity.

- The manual for VE strictly suggests a 8.4V 2000 mAh NiCad battery pack - 7 cell stick type.

- I, myself, think a 8.4V 3300 mAh NiMh battery pack of the same type is quite a better choice.

Who would you vote for?
SilentAngel is offline Find More Posts by SilentAngel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2005, 05:32 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
That depends entirely on what motor/esc combo your using. If you have a brushless motor and esc then by all means go with the 8 cell 3300 or 3400 pack. If your running a brushed motor you might still be able to use the 8 cell pack but be ready for and early burnout.

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Jul 19, 2005, 06:29 PM
We burn daylight.
USA
Joined Jul 2005
101 Posts
Setup

I am using the standart VE motor and ESC, which is an 12 turn brushed motor and a 8.4v ESC.

I have heard that 8 cell would stress this ESC out, leading to shortening its life - and BTW its manual also says to respect its voltage rating. This ESC is an expensive one (150 something) I would not want to burn it out.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:06 PM
Joined Jun 2004
233 Posts
Before you get to the point of tossing the Ve in the garbage because of all the problems associated with the brushed motor and ESC upgrade to a brushless motor. Don't waste your money on batteries for the useless brushed motor. Trust me I have been there and the brushless makes it a whole new helicopter and one that is actually flyable.
sj_sharks_fan is offline Find More Posts by sj_sharks_fan
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:12 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined May 2005
75 Posts
Which brushless motor & ESC options would you recommend?
Wingnut One is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut One
Old Jul 20, 2005, 09:28 AM
We burn daylight.
USA
Joined Jul 2005
101 Posts
Brushless & Lipo

Yes, I'd been thinking to switch to brushless lately - but it is a finance thing at this time. Later on I sure will.

Is there a specific brushless you are using? How do you like it on VE?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 04:05 PM
Joined Jun 2004
233 Posts
I'm running the Kontronik Twist 33 and the Jazz 40-6-18 on Thunder Power TP6000 4S3P Pro Lites. So far SO GOOD. Although I'm still just a beginner, I would have upgraded along time ago if I knew what a difference this setup makes to the control of the heli. All I got from the stock setup was much frustration, a fried ESC, a heap of worn out brushes and many wasted months trying to learn/fly using the useless and underpowered brushed setup.
Last edited by sj_sharks_fan; Jul 20, 2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 04:59 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,299 Posts
I agree. Toss that brushed junk and upgrade to brushless as soon as you can.

If you get batteries for your brushed motor now, plan on throwing those away when you dump the brushed setup. Because most likely you will need different batteries for brushless later.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 20, 2005, 05:36 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
The VE is getting a little dated now. Been out for a good 5 years. Not a bad heli but it should never have been designed for standard servos and is a little heavy. However it is robust.

BL and mini-micro servos are the only way to go on the VE.

A Hacker 8L on 10 cells was the standard for a long time. Some have gone HV but the same setup on 3s lipos is great.

The stock power setup is marginal at best on 7 cells so most run 8 which pushes the ESC.

With the price of BL motors now you can get a power system for under $200 easy.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 20, 2005, 07:08 PM
Joined Jun 2004
233 Posts
I agree about it being dated but I honestly can't figure out why the popularity of it died in comparison to other helicopters like the Corona which debuted at about the same time and given that the Corona also requires a lot of extras to make it a decent heli. Not to mention with the popularity of LiPo and brushless setups I would have thought it would have seen a bit of a resurgance.

Actually I do know the answer. JR is greedy and poor at strategic marketing.

Note to JR: YOU SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT THE VE WITHOUT THE POWER SYSTEM TO MARKET SOONER AND GIVEN A MUCH BETTER DISCOUNT THAN $50 TO COMPETE WITH THE NEWCOMERS LIKE LOGO 10 AND OTHERS. THAT, OR DEVELOPED A SECOND GENERATION ELECTRIC HELI THAT ADDRESSED THE SHORTCOMINGS OF THE ORIGINAL.

YOU MISSED A GREAT OPPORTUNITY HERE.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:48 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
We have been asking that for 5 years!! Bring it out for $199 W/O the power system.

This was pushed by a couple insiders too!!!!!!!!

But remember, we are just the consumers
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 21, 2005, 03:47 AM
So. Cal. USA
Joined Jun 2005
428 Posts
I second the above remarks... LOL we going to get a signature sheet going to send JR

Troy
Tafletch is offline Find More Posts by Tafletch
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:36 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined May 2005
75 Posts
I bought my VE with the motor & ESC included. How well would these work on a Corona? (I bought it as a wrecked pile of parts for $20, and without a motor at all.)
Wingnut One is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut One
Old Jul 21, 2005, 09:38 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
The VE on a Brushed motor is USELESS, NIHM batteries are boat anchors.

Save your money and grab a BL setup and Lipos

I have a Hacker B408L in mine with a 17tooth pinion and 6600mah lipos and it works great.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:58 PM
Millville, N.J. U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2001
175 Posts
So here I am, like a lot of other folks who have a VE with a c40 8l Hacker motor, and 3s3p lipo pack. The thing that keeps me from moving to a logo is that I don't see a way to use the motor and lipo that I've invested so much in. Is there another heli that can be flown with this set-up. One, that is, that would perform at a higher level than what we all have now?
dwoel is offline Find More Posts by dwoel