HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2005, 06:40 PM
Westerly Windina
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,047 Posts
MPX Lucky - 2 servo or 4 servo wing?

I'm finally getting around to starting on my MPX Lucky. It's a two-meter ship, rg15/12 foil, and comes with a sheeted one-piece wing that has pre-routed servo cavities and ailerons that are less than full span. I've been thinking about whether I should convert it a four-servo wing, which wouldn't involve that much more work, or just stick with spoilerons or flaperons for landing.

The ailerons are routed out from the wing with a bevel on the TE of the wing (btwn the wing and aileron) that will be very hard for me to replicate when lengthening the control surface and cutting free from the wing. The LE of the aileron itself is not beveled. I haven't seen this before.

That aside, the physical conversion should be pretty easy, but if I can get away with saving $60 on servos, all the better. I like having crow for my Mach Dart, but it's not really necessary at a couple of the places I fly.

Some of you have already chimed in on another thread with chants of "cut flaps, cut flaps!" - and I hear you, but just wanted to see if anyone has positive reports on this ship landing fairly easily with just spoilerons or flaperons. I've found that with some planes, (like my old miniblade), that's all they need.

Thanks,
Dominic
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2005, 11:01 AM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
949 Posts
Dominic,

Flaps are fun but we fly at sites all the time with as tight LZs as anyone and spoilers do just fine. Once you learn agressive spoileron techniques it's rather fun. The Lucky will slow down just fine anyway and I don't see the expense or added drag to be such a great thing.
I would note though, I see people trying to use spoilers with a few degrees of up travel. Doesn't work. I really crank them up there which makes metal geared servos attractive for the ailerons.
Dan
dang is online now Find More Posts by dang