HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2002, 09:02 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Wattage Crazy Eights Anybody flying one?

Is anyone flying this http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128427.asp
And If so what motor and cells are you using? It says it can handle CP 1300's. They suggest a cobalt but I was thinking a geared 020 on 10 CP 1300's. If anyone has one please let me know at jjelston@socal.rr.com
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2002, 09:53 PM
Wesley Chapel, NC, USA
Joined Mar 2002
82 Posts
I just maidened my Crazy 8 today, but it was extremely gusty and windy in Chicago today, so I couldn't trim it out at all.

I am running a Kontronik brushless 400-22 (2200 rpm/volt) Kontronik 25 amp ESC. 10x7E APC with Maxx Products BB gearbox set to 2.0:1 ratio. Spins 8500 at 20-20.5 amps on 10 cell CP1300. This ESC doesn't have a BEC, so I am running a 270mah battery for the RX and servos. (4) HS55's and 555 RX.

I was a little worried since weight came in at 36 oz and thrust calculated to less than that. The Rx battery, taller foam tires (I fly off grass) and Homer Simpson as pilot all increased the weight. However, it popped right off the ground, and despite some hairy moments when a wind gust got under the wing. It pulls straight up and will actually hover at part throttle and pull out of the hover vertically at full throttle. I couldn't do a whole lot because of the wind, and was mostly worried about bringing it down in one piece. It was so windy I elected not to even fly my 46 size glow pattern plane, which is very wind-resistant.

It's a little tight to get the CP1300's in, but only because of the cell diameter. Mine are configured in 2 parallel rows of 5 cells. You have to remove a cross brace, it's a little tricky to get the Velcro attached given that it adds some thickness as well.

CG on mine is set at factory recommended 2-7/8" starting point.

Assuming I don't fly it in gail force winds, I think this is going to be a heckuva lot of fun. I do have to say that mine was the fastest ARF I've built, and I've built around 10 so far. Mine was very well done, except for a poor color match of the cowl and the red film.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old Mar 31, 2002, 07:45 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,276 Posts
RCAddiction, Welcome to the Ezone! Thanks for the flight report on your Crazy 8. It sounds like you had your hands full in all the wind. I think I would have "Chickened Out" in those conditions!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 31, 2002, 12:28 PM
Wesley Chapel, NC, USA
Joined Mar 2002
82 Posts
Thanks for the Welcome!!

Yup, too windy to fly, but since I've moved to Chicago, I've been trying to learn to adjust to wind. Of course nobody else was there......

E-experience - I fly mostly wet stuff (9 planes ranging from .10 to 1.20 size) but have a MiniMax, the Crazy 8, and am waiting for the Aveox motor to start working on my Corona Heli.

Lee
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old Mar 31, 2002, 04:21 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Crazy 8

Hi Rcaddiction, welcome to the Ezone as Greg says. Wow you really had a handful for a test flight to say the least. I am glad you got it down ok. I have to decide wich brushless motor to use if I buy the plane. Either an Astro 020 geared or a Kontroniks BL 480-33 and 10 CP 1300. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old Apr 01, 2002, 07:29 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Jul 2000
11 Posts
I am presently flying the Crazy 8 with the following;
Kontronic Fun 400-42 with a 4.3:1 gearbox, Aeronaut 10.5x6 folder on 10 CP-1300 cells. Speed controller is Kontronic 30A. I have 4 flights so far and have not explored full capability. Plenty of pull for large loops but have not tried a hover yet. The plane gets small real fast. All up weight is about 36 oz. Flight times with throttle management is 4-4.5 minutes. I had originally tried an Aeronaut 9.5x5 and was not satisfied with performance. The 10.5x6 prop made a world of difference.
andhug is offline Find More Posts by andhug