HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:34 AM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Sep 2006
122 Posts
Question
T-Rex 500 DFC Pro

Hi
I have been curious about the 500 for awhile now as I am outgrowing my 450's and I have read over on another forum that the 500 "is just the right balance".
I did find an old thread named T-Rex 500 Hanger but its old and no one posts there anymore. Anyways almost all the vendors are out of stock of the 500 and im wondering is that due to uninterest in this heli? Or is it really that popular.
I would appreciate some feedback from any 500 owners or enthusists.
Is the 500 worthy or should I move up to the 550 or 600?
Thanks.
Brian
briguyy is offline Find More Posts by briguyy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2014, 02:41 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
I have a fair range of helis micros, 450, 500, 600 and 700.
The 500 is the Trex 500pro DFC, I really like it. It's a pretty good compromise between flying like a big heli and ownership costs of a smaller heli. What's the 'right size' is a personal thing based on many factors, but the 500 is a pretty good balance in many ways.

I don't think there are any real 'issues' as such with the 500pro DFC. Mine is pretty much standard 'super combo' package which works fine. I did swap the ESC for a HobbyKing Yep 80A as I wanted to run governed headspeed and the align ESC isnt the best for that, but otherwise it's all good.

You will notice a huge difference from the 450. The difference in size is far more than the 450 and 500 size designation would lead you to suspect. Something like a 600 is another big step up in size but costs do start to climb pretty steeply.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:34 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Sep 2006
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I have a fair range of helis micros, 450, 500, 600 and 700.
The 500 is the Trex 500pro DFC, I really like it. It's a pretty good compromise between flying like a big heli and ownership costs of a smaller heli. What's the 'right size' is a personal thing based on many factors, but the 500 is a pretty good balance in many ways.

I don't think there are any real 'issues' as such with the 500pro DFC. Mine is pretty much standard 'super combo' package which works fine. I did swap the ESC for a HobbyKing Yep 80A as I wanted to run governed headspeed and the align ESC isnt the best for that, but otherwise it's all good.

You will notice a huge difference from the 450. The difference in size is far more than the 450 and 500 size designation would lead you to suspect. Something like a 600 is another big step up in size but costs do start to climb pretty steeply.
Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the 500. Now I need to decide which FBL Controller to get for it.
briguyy is offline Find More Posts by briguyy
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:56 AM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briguyy View Post
Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the 500. Now I need to decide which FBL Controller to get for it.
Lots of good choices for FBL controllers out there. I've had good results from the standard Align 3GX that came with the 'Super Combo' package. Some say bad things about them but I'm convinced that's only because they havent set them up correctly. I've had four and they work fine. The 3GX default settings do need changing for the 500, but once you dial in the settings it's good.

The Robird G31 is one that looks like excellent value, though I've not yet tried one. Then of course there are many different clones. I picked up a K-bar recently which is a V-Bar clone, it looks good but I've not yet used it.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:27 AM
Back Yard Flyer
Northern Ontario
Joined Mar 2007
1,573 Posts
Fully agree with JetPlaneFlyer! It certainly is a step up into some real grunt without being overly intimidating. As you are perhaps already aware of, the size difference between a 450 swingin’ 325’s and a 500 swingin’ 425’s was large enough for numerous manufactures to introduce an in-between 360/480 model; so as JPF already mentioned, the difference is quite noticeable, in more ways than one…

I run a Skookum 540 on mine. Excellent FBL controller; fantastic governor; great introductory vids and no nonsense Wizards to guide one through the set-up procedure. Above all, the company stands behind their product so if one happens to have an issue, it’s handled in a timely fashion.

There is a dedicated Skookum forum over on HeliFreak with some very knowledgeable users in the event one requires a helping hand. Just so happens there is presently a 15% Spring Sale goin’ on. No I’m not affiliated, just a satisfied user…

http://www.skookumrobotics.com/shop/
http://www.skookumrobotics.com/produ...arless-system/
Power Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Up
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:12 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,396 Posts
Robird is good, Ikon even better. All the guys at my field are slowly switching to Ikons. Once they try it they switch. It is very simple to set up and very stable. Don't forget to check out the OST 500 thread here. great bird for a great price.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker