HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:11 AM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Build Log
My 60 size gyro

Hi all, just wanted to post a few pictures of my 60 size gyro build. I wanted a quick build simple larger gyro to play with. Built from non conventional (heavy) material, pine and birch ply through out including the blades, it's heavy at 7 lbs 4 oz with a 63" rotor span, 46" long, 5 cell 4000 mah lipo.

The frame is made from 3/4" square yellow pine, frame brackets and supports are 1/8" birch ply, the tail sections are 1/4" birch ply and the blades are also pine. I borrowed the pilot figure idea from Jockems wonderful Minimum which my Wife painted. This one was the second build, the prototype flew very well but was unfinished, so I painted it with an acrylic enamel and it never dried which lead to this new one. I have not flown this one yet but when the weather changes for the better I will post some more pictures.

Thanks,
Nils
nja is offline Find More Posts by nja
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 05:58 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
G'day Nils
Now that's a nice looking model....but will it fly ...good luck with the maiden.
I am sure that Jocken would have been very happy to see his pilot in your model.
Happy Landings
Chris....
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 04, 2013, 06:24 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Hello Chris, Thank you, the first one flew very well and I would have kept it except for the paint issue. The weather here has been windy, 20-30 mph, hopefully this weekend I will have some flying pictures to post.

Thanks,
Nils
Old Nov 04, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
Nils that looks like a winner very nice build quality
Tom Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:07 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
Nils,
Excellent pusher, we need a video when you get round to flying it. Great to see Jochens' pilot is being used, I am sure he is watching your activities from up there.

Regards
Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:16 AM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Hello Tom, Rich, thanks guys, I will beg my wife to go and video it.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Nils
Old Nov 07, 2013, 06:21 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
A few pictures from this evenings maiden.

It was pretty late but the weather was good, for the next few days it is supposed to blow 30-40 mph so I gave it a spin. Bigger does seem to fly better, or maybe it is because it is a heavy model, the wind gusts didn't seem to rock it around. It fly's slow and predictable and easy to see.

I will try to get some video next time but tonight I was really rushed with the sun setting.

Thanks,
Nils
Old Nov 08, 2013, 08:54 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,602 Posts
G'Day Nils
Looks like Jocken had a good flight.......but if you fly any later ..you may have to fit navigation lights.
That is one fine model that you have created....I like
Happy Landings
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 08, 2013, 09:22 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Thanks Chris, just wanted to get it in the air, sorry for the lack of video, hope to get some soon.

Nils
Old Nov 09, 2013, 11:34 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,043 Posts
I love those silhouette pictures with the sun in the back ground! Looks like the real deal!
Congrats on the maiden! You got a nice looking model there!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:37 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Thanks Joe, The credit for the pictures go to my wife, it's not easy for me to get her to the field but worth it, I will let her know what you said.

Thanks,
Nils
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:32 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,703 Posts
Nils,
Any luck with a video yet? or have you been hit with the snow storm?

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:42 PM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Hello Rich,

The weather here has been a bit rainy and windy so I will have to use that as an excuse, I have been flying it a few flights here and there but to be honest, procrastinating on the video part, I will charge up the camcorder and get it done as soon as possible, thanks for asking, it helps to get me motivated.

I have been working on an enlarged RPG, not as big as your Tempest, just 1.3x bigger than the RPG but it still looks big, first some video then I need to borrow the running gear for the big RPG.

Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS,
Nils
Old Dec 25, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
Hello Nils, I have followed your build, and found it very nice your auto gyro, here in Brazil there are few fanatics autogyros.
Well, now builds the Minimum and Spirro plant here the same forum, you would wonder this plant so I can build one for myself, I would be happy, Hugs Harold.
Harold50 is offline Find More Posts by Harold50
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:45 AM
nja
Vero Beach, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2010
151 Posts
Hello Harold, I would be honored if you built one. I would like to tell you I could send you the plans but they are done on my computer in their own CADD files that I use for my cutting machine. Most of the parts are small enough to print 1:1 scale if that would help.

Thanks,
Nils