HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2014, 01:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Joined Feb 2013
83 Posts
Phil i have got a cheap airbrush as well but it is working fine as long as u keep it clean.
Now everything that beautiful build thread needs is successful maiden pictures and video.
Good luck , wonderful work, fingers crossed for first flight
marek84 is offline Find More Posts by marek84
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:46 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
283 Posts
Thanks guys, I feeling better after sleeping on it. The airbrush fell apart when I was cleaning it and I don't know if I could have put it back together properly whilst maintaining my sanity. Then when I tried to screw the nozzle back in the thread stripped on the mount, so that was enough for me.

I'll be respraying the cowl when I get a new one because it looks more lime green than yellow at the moment and is unacceptable. No drama, as it's the last piece in the puzzle anyway.

Hopefully the stickers will go on today, but it's a real struggle to find time at the moment.
Phil U is offline Find More Posts by Phil U
Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:32 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
283 Posts
Decals

The decals are on. Again, not without drama. All was good apart from the USAF ensign, which had to have a white backing. Trying to get it in the right spot over the backing was very tricky. The ink on the paper doesn't stick very well, so in trying to position the decals some of it simply fell off.

Overall the effect is good though. Another lesson learned with decals of this size - paint the underside white if necessary, rather than using two layers of decals.

I'm hoping to get the clear coat done this week and the engine back in and running over the weekend.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 07:07 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
283 Posts
ready to run

All but finished now. Total weight including engine and installation, without fuel, is 978 grams. Add the cowl and cockpit and we'll call it an even kilo (35 oz). I could possibly go to a Lipo battery to get the weight down (I think?), but Clive Smalley would have flown his with less engine power, Nicad batteries and fat servos, so I'm not too worried.

Radio and engine installation is complete. Still having a few dramas with the cowl paint but the aircraft itself is finished and I'm hoping to start the engine tomorrow.

CoG is ever so slightly forward of plan, so an excellent result there with no ballast to add.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 06:51 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
283 Posts
Thwarted

I was hoping to maiden this thing yesterday but the weather was having none of that.

However I did get the engine running. Because my i-phone is so slow these days I thought I had started the video to record some of it, but all I got was a brief shot of my feet.

A few problems have continued to nag this project. The cowl is now finished but it looks ordinary. The yellow paint simply refused to sprayed from any gun, no matter how much of the official thinner I added to it. I have spent a lot of time scooping yellow goo out of hidden recesses and now need to look for new nozzles for the airbrush. Goodness knows where I'll get them from.

So the cowl paintwork is disappointing, and I made a small mistake putting the decal on also. I forgot to wet the cowl before sliding on the decal, and of course it turned into a big mess. Not that it really mattered because the pink turned to orange when placed over the yellow paint. I painted over the worst of it, but nothing surprises me with this build anymore.

The cowl really needs to be rebuilt anyway, this time with fibreglass. I have the plug still, so that might be an upcoming project. I will use Tamiya yellow next time, rather than Italeri.

Must have had a brain fade with the tank install as I have the outlets around the wrong way. That took me a few minutes to sort as I was filling the tank and fuel was running out the exhaust when it was only about 1/10th full. It was easy enough to swap the tubing over to sort that one out.

The engine seems to be running well so far. As long as it gets fuel it is keen to start by hand. How satisfying is it to get a new engine running?

I need to sort out the carby fuel line as there is not enough room for my filter. Will have to look for a miniature filter. Also blew a glow plug on the first run, but it has been running fine with a new plug. Also made some small adjustments to the throttle linkage.

The only other fix I needed to carry out was to add more magnets to the hatch to stop if from vibrating off.

Yesterday my friend finished the spinner and he did a really nice job, but I need to find a prop with a bigger hub to match.

So we're all ready for the maiden flight. I might even get the cockpit finished this week.

There's something funny going on with the picture uploads so I'll put them in a separate post.
Old Apr 08, 2014, 01:53 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,134 Posts
Check check and ponder function of everything. Then make sure you get the first flight on video as it could be a one shot chance ever. The vid will give you some peace should there become a need to start a new project sooner than anticipated. Percentages in your favor make as many happen as possible. How are the throws nothing like launching in low rates only to have a seemingly high rate of control with nothing left to work with but your thumbs and a heavy heart rate. Best wishes.
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Apr 08, 2014, 04:00 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
283 Posts
Cheers Amp, hear you loud and clear.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 02:03 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,134 Posts
For this type of flying platform. Recommend a wood prop till you dial it in as you can break wood easy not so with the glass / plastic props so other things go instead; should the first few landings be a learning curve for even your skilled test pilot. Could be a tip stall monster so forward cg till you find out its habits. Warps flat bottom airfoil and separate elevators all help instability. If you had flaps installed and slightly down with a tad washout adjusted into the ailerons it would be a stable tracking sweety on landings. Up side meaty airfoil will grip the air with presence and help to track if the vertical stab is adequate to tame the fuselage during landings.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 07:34 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
283 Posts
Wooden prop is a good idea. Might try to find one tomorrow. The wing has a significant washout at the te tips which I'm told is to profide stability at low speed by lowering the stall speed. Hope it works. It also has a very large camber.

I've just been putting together a roughed up cockpit which will be glued in tomorrow, just to complete the picture a little better. The last job will be gluing on the canopy.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,134 Posts
Went through the pics your magnet board should have things proper and true. The dihedral in the wing will help it track straight in on landings. Looking at the elevator build you should have each side in sync with little worry of inducing roll. Great job Phil, time to turn n burn and have dogfight with the gremlins. And the crowd chants vid vid.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:56 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Feb 2013
283 Posts
Cockpit

Here are some pics of the very quick cockpit I built before it went under the canopy.

There is no pilot as I'm not aware of anything available in approximately 1/12th scale, and I had no intention of making one. My wife suggested a Lego man and she was given the sideways glance such a comment deserved.

The engine is close to being run in now. I've had to add a couple of extra washers to the exhaust bolts as they were a little long for the aftermarket muffler. Also had a problem with fuel starvation and we worked out it was a sticky filler valve. A couple of knocks with a spanner seems to sort it out.

My glow driver is becoming quite dodgy and is making for hard starts. As soon as we hooked up to a proper power panel this thing couldn't wait to start. Gotta get one of those.

Also had to sort out one of the cowl mounting nuts which was vibrating loose. Otherwise it is all systems go for a maiden.

Unfortunately we have had some of the worst Autumn weather over the past few weeks which has kept me grounded. It's fining up now but this weekend is Easter so there may not be an experienced pilot at the field. Have to wait and see.

I'll be taking the final pictures before the maiden today. Hard to believe it's finally coming to an end.

Happy Easter everyone.