Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:48 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
791 Posts
Discussion
Max thrust VOREX 400 (review)

hi all,

decided to do my own review on the max thrust vortex 400,well my review is going to simple enough,will involve a quick look around the box and kit,then a build/finish followed by the all important maiden flight.
The plane came pretty much ready to piece together so there was not any major assembly required in the build.it's comes with a glue which is touch dry in an hour and needs 48hours to properly harden,so i skipped that stuff and used some faster drying epoxy i had myself,it will get a few days to dry anyway i assume judging from the weather here now.it was important with the shape of the wings to keep them nice and straight when glued,this was the advantage of the fast drying stuff i used cause it only requiried me to hold them in the correct position for a minute or so and they were good to go.i also used small pieces of clear sellotape over any glued joint because this IMO is extra insurance and it helps big time to hold the glued stuff in place.it also does not effect the finish as it's clear and sticks great.

I got the jet from a shop in county clare (ennis) model heli services,mostly where i get all my stuff now.

The box was small enough measuring width ways 16" by 14" high,and around 3ft 6-7 long.
first impressions were focused on the quality of the foam,it's good quality,it's not exactly epo foam but it's for sure stronger than eps,it feels somewhere in the middle.
all parts came nicely packaged in there own packs.
so i straight away laid everything out in there packs on the floor to see what i had,i bought this kit without battery,charger nor RX/TR.
note-i will still only use an FMS rtf radio,i find it fine,it worked great in my other two jets and it's 2.4ghz,yes it's a shame to not yet have got hold of my dx8 but the budget is tight right now with hobby stuff as i'm only back in it a few weeks and i already have 5planes got,normally the radio equipment would be the first most important thing with me but i seem to have went at things differntly this time,i will give my opinion on the stock fms radio too here.

ok not going to go too crazy with pics,just enough to give an idea.

so first pic is unpacking,from here on i will go in to some small detail about each pack.

nice tidy box with a good enough manual with enough of detail.

cockpit with no pilot,god knows why they don't include a pilot...maybe all the pilots are too scared to get in the jet when i'm flying it :laugh: :lol:

nice fuse

a look in to the power system,in here is a nice 64mm anodised powerful motor,it really screams,i think this is going to be fast,also in here is the only flaw out of the box which i had to fix, some tape came off a servo wire in the path of the exhaust fumes,so i need to fix this,done.

one pack stored all the control horns and clevisis,also had the strong looking landing gear,a feature i like so far in this kit,strong landing gear is a must,and it's not so heavy,just a nice design.

flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:50 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
791 Posts
all the wiring was nice and pretty straight forward,just need to zip tie this next before the maiden and tidy things up.
the battery compartment has a nice strap so no moving around in here for battery.
the top canopy has a latch at one end and fits nicely in to place,but as i do with all my jets i use a little tape to hold them down for the inevitable barell rolls to follow

the finished thing.

conclusion,it's a very impressive kit this one,i seriously like max thrust products after this,it sounds insanely fast,but i won't know until i maiden it,the main reason i like the kit is because the foam is strong,every part was of the best quality,i had no issues with nothing,i like the way they went in to detail about everything in the manual even telling you to use thread lock on the landing gear grub screws,i know it's only a small thing but a lot of thought went in to this by the comapany,also things like the servo covers if you use it as a belly lander,the servos,control arms and all landing gear parts are strong,down on top of these things it's a 64mm unit reccomended to use a 4cell pack,this has to be quick,it is very high revving.i can't wait to maiden it.if i think of anymore stuff i will add them later.

i had one issue and this is the COG,usually i wouldn't bother even checking it only put the battery in the best position and try and find info on videos online etc,but this time this plane came with stickers under it,so this sort of made a point of the issue to me to be more aware of it,so i went along with the manual,fitted my battery and checked the COG as you are suppoed to with your fingers on the points under the wings where the stickers are put for you to check,and it goes straight nose down in to my lap,this is sort of a worry,please feel free to comment on this as i want to get this right.it instructs you in the manual to keep the battery to the furthest back position,this i have done,also the reciever to the furthest front position,all done and still nose heavy,as i say it might be fine.i could add weight to the rear but not intrested in making the plane any heavier if i can avoid it.
it might be fine and no issue but it's better to be safe than sorry.

another thing to note that this will be my first jet with a rudder and low bottom mounted wings,should be an intresting maiden,should i use the rudder? or get the feel for the jet first without it?

P.S
big thanks to nicola for the great pictures!

later
dan
Old Mar 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
791 Posts
is this forum a ghost town? what a waste of my effort even posting this review,i get loads of replies on other forums,won't update here or post reviews again.

i bet i will get a comment now though

either that or i'm in the wrong section.......??

goodluck!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Jun 2009
56 Posts
This little bird is sold in the States under another name, which escapes me for the moment. (HEY! I'M OLD!) It's got the rep as a nice flyer: respectable, but no speed demon. (Decent low-speed manners, though.) The intakes are well over 100% FSA, and so is the tailpipe. If you really want more speed, taper the tailpipe down to 85% or so with the ole 'styrofoam coffee cup' trick. Narrowing down the intakes might take some light surgery, though.

For a real hot-rod, though, you might have to re-power with something in the 70mm range.

CONCEPT X!! I KNEW I'D GET IT!!!
Rutabaga is offline Find More Posts by Rutabaga
Last edited by Rutabaga; Apr 03, 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Forgot a couple things!!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
This little bird is sold in the States under another name, which escapes me for the moment. (HEY! I'M OLD!) It's got the rep as a nice flyer: respectable, but no speed demon. (Decent low-speed manners, though.) The intakes are well over 100% FSA, and so is the tailpipe. If you really want more speed, taper the tailpipe down to 85% or so with the ole 'styrofoam coffee cup' trick. Narrowing down the intakes might take some light surgery, though.

my maiden flight with the max thrust vortex -400 two days ago.

For a real hot-rod, though, you might have to re-power with something in the 70mm range.

hi,

thanks for the feedback,i was just about to give up posting here over lack of feedback,as far as i know this plane was available already yes under another brand here in usa,as far as i know this same jet was rebadged here by another company called (max thrust) and they done some serious modds to it,for a start the motor is a 64mm and it takes now a 4cell pack,this thing goes like stink,i think it's very fast.check out the maiden and see what you think,this was my own maiden flight with it.
as far as i know this one has a better upgraded motor and esc and takes a 4cell,the one you heard about here in usa used a 3cell and was a real slug.

VORTEX-400 (maiden flight) (6 min 43 sec)
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:39 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
791 Posts
latest video on this great jet,as i say it is differnt when MAX THRUST modify it with 4cell power,it can really move.

VORTEX-400's return ........with dan & nicola (special edit video) (6 min 42 sec)
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:57 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
791 Posts
This is an awesome jet....never has given me any trouble and always puts a smile on my fast when i fly it.remember this one was modified by MAX THRUST uk with a 4cell outrunner motor set up,it really is a bullet.

-Dan

Another fast flight this evening we had,i think this short video shows the great performance of this jet,short video with no music,was a lovely calm evening for flying actually this is a great jet.....

Max Thrust -VORTEX 400 flight#5 take off's landings,full speed fly by's.... (4 min 8 sec)