HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:28 AM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Jan 2013
108 Posts
Discussion
Introducing myself and some questions - multirotors, FPGAs, LASERS

Hi, long time lurker and about to build my fist multi. I'm on my third year of a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, my field being sound programming so there's a lot of signal processing involved. I've done some industrial robotics work on the side like I've programmed a food manufacturing system that uses IR temp sensors, brushless, servos and more. (can't go into detail because of NDA). Among my other hobbies are DIY modular synthesizers so I'd say I'm quite confident with a soldering iron.

As for my upcoming build, right now I'm trying to choose between either a flyduspider hexa, hunter v-tail or turnigy talon tri for the frame. Any tips, pointers, opinions? I want to do some filming using a gopro and also eventually FPV. Want to try and mount one of the upcoming super-compact 3d sensors from primesense that are coming out in a while. I also do some VJ and show light work sometimes so I want to try to put some lasers and leds and stuff on it and use it as a flying "moving head" light. =D

For FC I'm considering using a papilio FPGA board and cading+etching my own IMU-shield for it. They can boot this ZPUINO softprocessor core that does 32-bit with a FPU (floating point unit) so much better precision for holding etc and yes it should run multiwii with some mods. But I have a question for you guys, does normal receivers (frsky, turnigy, orange) send out a pwm pulse from their channel outs? Because if so I can just measure that on the FPGA and not have to get a ADC chip.

Eventually I want to create a FPGA FC board based on the Xilinx Zynq chip (dual arm cortex, gpu and fpga-dsp) that runs linux and lets you control your multi via gsm/3g etc and does everything incl ESC inside the Zynq, I believe this will give a much tighter response and if you can reduce build complexity and powerdraw then this is ofc ideal. (you would connect external amps, one for each motor).

FPGAs can also generate extremely great analog signals using sigma delta (think CD quality sound) and many people have had success building software defined radios with them so I want to try and promote the use of FPGAs since they are imo ideal for multis since they can do excellent PID, possibly TX/RX, image recognition and processing etc eventually this could turn into motor noise cancellation and more. (been really trying to figure out how to eliminate motor noise from recordings and I think it could be doable if a closed loop system is used)

Thank you all for the great information you provide, been soaking up information, so much to learn!
Veqtor is offline Find More Posts by Veqtor
Last edited by Veqtor; Feb 01, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:42 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,290 Posts
Sounds good.

I too am well underway on my second multi-rotor, putting four 20mw green lasers on a RCExplorer type tri, as well as an insanely bright 6,400 lumen LED array. I have the parts and the design and am well into the build. I will point them down with a simple gimbal (slightly more simplified than the pic below) allowing the beams to expand and contract about three degrees, hoping to simulate the look of a UFO-like tractor beam. I expect only about three or so minutes of hover time at 80 meters or so as the LED strips, led drivers, heat sink, lasers, full rotation servo, switch and additional LiPo come in at over 700 grams.

Of course this will be flown ONLY several hundred meters from the nearest spectator in the event it rolls and sweeps the beams outwards.

Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:55 AM
Posted as eflightdude 06-07
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veqtor View Post
I also do some VJ and show light work sometimes so I want to try to put some lasers and leds and stuff on it and use it as a flying "moving head" light. =D
Sounds cool...for personal use. Multi-rotors should not be flown around other people who are not aware of the dangers involved.

Please, do not try to fly one equipped with lights and lasers somewhere you DJ. Here's why (graphic pics): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...=threadgallery
jseyfert3 is offline Find More Posts by jseyfert3
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:04 AM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Jan 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseyfert3 View Post
Sounds cool...for personal use. Multi-rotors should not be flown around other people who are not aware of the dangers involved.

Please, do not try to fly one equipped with lights and lasers somewhere you DJ. Here's why (graphic pics): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...=threadgallery
Of course not, will fly over a field that will be shut off from public access for safety.
Veqtor is offline Find More Posts by Veqtor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, OH, Woodville
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
Im liking that tractor beam idea up there. Gona put any videos of it up?
h710railfan is offline Find More Posts by h710railfan
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:27 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Feb 2013
399 Posts
Wow. Those are graphic. Nothing like lots of people with long face slices and finger cuts to give pause to consider safety.
RobertSF is offline Find More Posts by RobertSF
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:06 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h710railfan View Post
Im liking that tractor beam idea up there. Gona put any videos of it up?
Indeed I will. I've been waiting on a full rotation servo to complete my build list. I may use a regular servo and have a two or three position beam set while I wait.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:12 AM
Joined Jul 2013
158 Posts
How did that turn out? Videos?
FlyingPancake is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPancake
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Joined Mar 2011
1,290 Posts
Oh yes, sorry, I forgot all about this thread and that I would post a video. I've long been done.

Believe it or not, I'm still waiting on heavy fog to make a prolonged "entertainment" video. You just can't see the beams in dry air. I've since moved on to add 1,300 lumen to a tricopter. I will also add the lasers to the tri. The wood quad was getting way too heavy, especially with some DIY LIDAR electronics that I've yet to get mapping correctly. I can't get the ground reference and ground map to match.

My camera has terrible low-light ability. The lights are MUCH brighter than appears in the video.

Tri-Lights (1 min 44 sec)

The two lights in this brief laser demo are only 660 lumen.

LIDAR X/Y Pattern Test #8 (1 min 29 sec)
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:51 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Sep 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veqtor View Post
Hi, long time lurker and about to build my fist multi. I'm on my third year of a Bachelors degree in Computer Science, my field being sound programming so there's a lot of signal processing involved. I've done some industrial robotics work on the side like I've programmed a food manufacturing system that uses IR temp sensors, brushless, servos and more. (can't go into detail because of NDA). Among my other hobbies are DIY modular synthesizers so I'd say I'm quite confident with a soldering iron.

As for my upcoming build, right now I'm trying to choose between either a flyduspider hexa, hunter v-tail or turnigy talon tri for the frame. Any tips, pointers, opinions? I want to do some filming using a gopro and also eventually FPV. Want to try and mount one of the upcoming super-compact 3d sensors from primesense that are coming out in a while. I also do some VJ and show light work sometimes so I want to try to put some lasers and leds and stuff on it and use it as a flying "moving head" light. =D

For FC I'm considering using a papilio FPGA board and cading+etching my own IMU-shield for it. They can boot this ZPUINO softprocessor core that does 32-bit with a FPU (floating point unit) so much better precision for holding etc and yes it should run multiwii with some mods. But I have a question for you guys, does normal receivers (frsky, turnigy, orange) send out a pwm pulse from their channel outs? Because if so I can just measure that on the FPGA and not have to get a ADC chip.

Eventually I want to create a FPGA FC board based on the Xilinx Zynq chip (dual arm cortex, gpu and fpga-dsp) that runs linux and lets you control your multi via gsm/3g etc and does everything incl ESC inside the Zynq, I believe this will give a much tighter response and if you can reduce build complexity and powerdraw then this is ofc ideal. (you would connect external amps, one for each motor).

FPGAs can also generate extremely great analog signals using sigma delta (think CD quality sound) and many people have had success building software defined radios with them so I want to try and promote the use of FPGAs since they are imo ideal for multis since they can do excellent PID, possibly TX/RX, image recognition and processing etc eventually this could turn into motor noise cancellation and more. (been really trying to figure out how to eliminate motor noise from recordings and I think it could be doable if a closed loop system is used)

Thank you all for the great information you provide, been soaking up information, so much to learn!
I have spent the past two months developing the control system for a multirotor with Simulink. I would be very interested in working with you on the software and hardware for this project as I have had a similar interest in developing a flight controller with a 32bit arm processor. Those who I have been developing the software for would greatly benefit from the increased processing power of an ARM processor over the 8bit Atmel processor of the ArdupiloMega that we are currently using. The goal is to be able to test experimental guidance, navigation and control algorithms, possibly image processing, using algorithms developed within Simulink.

I can certainly help with the high level programming , control system and perhaps the selection of IMU and other hardware, but what I'm lacking is someone with the ability to fabricate the flight controller and write the C code necessary to interface with Simulink.

If you are interested, send me a PM and we can talk.

- Adam
sg1anubis is offline Find More Posts by sg1anubis
Last edited by sg1anubis; Aug 10, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:58 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
811 Posts
Naze32 flight controller uses a stmu 32 ......i think thats what its called.Its open source.Im basicly.mentioning it because i want to see some improvements somehow.Its opensource.thats basicly why i bought it hopeing someone would come along and.try.something new.it has a thread in multiiwii forums....a search of naze 32 hardware should bring it up in multiiwii forums
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:00 AM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
811 Posts
I think it has a 32 processor.i could be wrong with technical words but its.up to date hardware wise.oh and since u probally are new.to.flying multirotors get a hubsan x4 from massive rc.its very very fine tuned and its like 50 bucks from massive rc store.he ships super fast and is a all around good guy.
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad