HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:19 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Temse
Joined Dec 2004
338 Posts
Discussion
Minimosd

Hi,

Iím looking to get myself an Arduino APM 2.5 and the MinimOSD. Is it possible to configures the OSD trough the usb port of the APM? Or do I need a separate cable to do it.

Ben
Benovitch is offline Find More Posts by Benovitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Jan 2006
47 Posts
I think it's only possible with an ftdi cable
saeli is offline Find More Posts by saeli
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
That is correct. You need the connection directly from the MinimOSD to the computer to configure it. The serial connection between the APM and MinimOSD can only be used for flight data.

I found out last night that you can use an FTDI to the serial pins of the APM to connect to a computer. This was convenient b/c the usb port on my APM was covered. So I used this as a backup method to get connected to my computer.
Rogue.insight is offline Find More Posts by Rogue.insight
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2006
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue.insight View Post
I found out last night that you can use an FTDI to the serial pins of the APM to connect to a computer. This was convenient b/c the usb port on my APM was covered. So I used this as a backup method to get connected to my computer.
Can you post more info?
saeli is offline Find More Posts by saeli
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue.insight View Post
I found out last night that you can use an FTDI to the serial pins of the APM to connect to a computer.
Correct since this is how you connect to the wireless telemetry. If you get the radio modems either off RCTimer or 3dr you can do almost everything but update the firmware.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airframes Side-By-SIde
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
It's simply a matter of connecting the pins on the USB ftdi device to the telem pins on the apm. Since these pins are on top it was easier to get to than the USB port on the side.
Rogue.insight is offline Find More Posts by Rogue.insight