HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
India, GJ, Ahmedabad
Joined Oct 2012
72 Posts
Discussion
3 meter sail plain plan...

Hi,

Can any one suggest me 2 to 3 meter electric power sail plane and from where can I get the plan for it?

I want to built it from balsa.
Not looking for purchase it
gajjark is offline Find More Posts by gajjark
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,765 Posts
You can check out Outerzone.co.uk. Look at the Gentle Lady, the Bird of Time, and the WIndfree. These are older designs but they would make decent electrics. There is an electric version of the Gentle Lady called the Electra, but if you were going to use today's brushless motors, you'd have to stretch the nose for balance, and the fuselage is wider than it needs to be for the smaller motors and batteries we use now.

Skybench.com shows a bunch of gliders converted to electric, but I don't know if they sell just the plans. Their Olympic II would make a nice, slow, floating electric glider, and their Olympic 2S would probably be quite nice, but faster. I think you can get the Olympic II plans from RCM plans. They also have plans for the Mirage, which is a simple glider which is supposed to fly quite well. Other plans shown there which might make nice electrics include the Paragon (a big floater), and the Gemini MTS.

For something a bit more up to date, look at the Allegro-E-Lite, here:
http://charlesriverrc.org/articles.htm
The Speed 400 motor shown provides adequate climb if you do the propeller modification shown and keep it moving, but you might prefer a brushless here, too.
It flies VERY well. The Bubble Dancer, found on the same page, would make an excellent electric glider but you'd have to modify the fuselage. An even better flyer, and fairly easy to fly as well.

Of course it would help if you told us how experienced you are and what kind of flying you hope to do, and what kind of performance you're looking for.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:09 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
377 Posts
Great answer Lincoln, handy to have a reminder of all the great options for building from plans and not seen the outerzone site before, what a goldmine!

Thanks again.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:56 AM
United States, NC, Cajah's Mountain
Joined Oct 2006
199 Posts
Sailplane plans with construction articles available here:

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...df9bldr58hmtvf
Don Bourdon is offline Find More Posts by Don Bourdon
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,765 Posts
Carstens has a bunch of plans, too. I don't know whether their response on this kind of thing is fast or slow. Most of them are kind of out of date:
http://carstensbookstore.com/caflmopldi.html
So does the AMA.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans/listing.aspx
Hard to find much info, though. Notable designs include a big and a little Scooter by Leon Kincaid, Callisto, Io, and Europa by Terry Edmunds, and ResMaxx by Harley Michaelis. None of these I mentioned are electric, though I'm sure some of the others are.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member